When Morrissey met Marr: the story of The Smiths' formation - stevepafford.com

Hello lovely forum readers,

I'm Steve, the author of the BowieStyle book. As an aside I was the person who unearthed the charming pic of Moz and Bowie at Maine Road 1990 (following a tip off from Linder Sterling as it happens.), which was used for the first time in BowieStyle.

I'm actually here to tell you I've sort of penned something specifically on The Smiths for the first time. It's on my website stevepafford.com and I do hope you like it. Love on ya.

It Was 40 Years Ago Today: Morrissey Meets Marr at a Patti Smith Show - stevepafford.com

44196_MorrisseyMarrPrincessDiana.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
PS, I should point out that there was a lot of speculation that the Maine Road pic was the one Bowie refused to give permission for Moz to use on the reissue of Playboys. That's not the case as it was a later picture,

Last edited:
Billy Duffy left The Nosebleeds for Slaughter & The Dogs, then Theatre of Hate / The Cult

Never seen that performance of This Charming Man. Wonderful.

Does anyone have a link to the morrissey and Bowie picture mentioned?

Marr caught off guard but rolls with it. A shiny 12-string 330 fireglo? With binding? Maybe it was a new guitar. Johnny's short little shuffle reminds me of Jay Ferguson (yes, you're welcome, Jay).

Hello lovely forum readers,

I'm Steve, the author of the BowieStyle book. As an aside I was the person who unearthed the charming pic of Moz and Bowie at Maine Road 1990 (following a tip off from Linder Sterling as it happens.), which was used for the first time in BowieStyle.

I'm actually here to tell you I've sort of penned something specifically on The Smiths for the first time. It's on my website stevepafford.com and I do hope you like it. Love on ya.

It Was 40 Years Ago Today: Morrissey Meets Marr at a Patti Smith Show - stevepafford.com

44196_MorrisseyMarrPrincessDiana.jpg

‘ Mozzer IS a poetic genius and a fearless and fluent commentator ‘

Had to correct that, hope you don’t mind.

‘Hand In Glove, the fister’s favorite ‘

Really ? May be wishful thinking on your part.

;)

Moz looks like Robert Smith twin evil brother and Marr like a colledge teen girl...lol

£1.50 a ticket,what a rip-off.those were the days.
just been on the price now price then calculator and I put the year in as 76 and £1.50 in todays money is £11.50 so we really are being ripped off.

£1.50 a ticket,what a rip-off.those were the days.
just been on the price now price then calculator and I put the year in as 76 and £1.50 in todays money is £11.50 so we really are being ripped off.
You must see this in relation to the profits from record sales, which aren't there anymore.

You must see this in relation to the profits from record sales, which aren't there anymore.

This really is true. When musicians can't make money from their music, what do they do? They charge exorbitant ticket prices, make lots of merchandise, present their music in multiple hard copy formats (colored vinyl, etc.), do meet and greets, license their music, get corporate sponsorship, etc. A lot of these things used to be known as "selling out" - now it's plain survival for musicians.

Mark Paytress wrote Bowie Style - Pafford merely added a few snarky one-liners. Pafford also used to run the Bowie fanzine Crankin' Out which he then abrupty discontinued without bothering to return all the subscriptions he'd received for promised future issues. Just saying.

This really is true. When musicians can't make money from their music, what do they do? They charge exorbitant ticket prices, make lots of merchandise, present their music in multiple hard copy formats (colored vinyl, etc.), do meet and greets, license their music, get corporate sponsorship, etc. A lot of these things used to be known as "selling out" - now it's plain survival for musicians.

Don’t musicians get paid a fee for performance while promoters set ticket prices

Don’t musicians get paid a fee for performance while promoters set ticket prices

Mostly true, the promoters know their own markets so they set the ticket prices depending on what the local market will bear or not (see Morrissey UK tour cancellation some say due to high ticket prices). But of course, the ticket price takes into consideration the fee the musicians are asking. The venue and ticket agencies get into it as well.

Tags
david bowie johnny marr morrissey the smiths

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom