When The Smiths were fronted by a 1960s era female popstar - Smiths & Sandie article - Post-Punk.com

When The Smiths were fronted by a 1960s era female popstar - Post-Punk.com

Excerpt:
"Morrissey and Marr having the strong desire to be recognized professionally as great songwriters not unlike Burt Bacharach and Hal David who wrote Shaw’s first hit, began writing her letters asking if she would cover their song I Don’t Owe You Anything, which they had written and composed in the hopes that Shaw would agree to perform it.

Shaw was initially reluctant to accept the offer being averse to the controversy surrounding The Smith’s track Reel Around the Fountain.

Despite this, Morrissey and Marr persisted in trying to recruit Shaw to perform their music, and Shaw was eventually won over by Morrissey’s praise of her in the press by the intervention of Rough Trade label founder Geoff Travis."

42304_42300_sandieshawmorrissey2-800x1201.jpg

With some archive pictures & videos,
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah sure if you want to be precise :)

I believe to have fronted a band you have to have been more than a guest for an overnight sleepover.

Appearing with them as the singer on Top of the Pops probably counts a little bit, though.

Sang & recorded Please Help The Cause... - given to her by Morrissey + sang vocals on the Moz versions.

She did? I've heard the Morrissey demo version -- is there a second version with her singing with him as well? Or is she just so far down in the mix that I never noticed? (And yes I'm aware of her version from the Hello Angel album.) Or am I misreading your post?

She did? I've heard the Morrissey demo version -- is there a second version with her singing with him as well? Or is she just so far down in the mix that I never noticed? (And yes I'm aware of her version from the Hello Angel album.) Or am I misreading your post?
It should be in the NHS collection, will post an MP3 here if needed.
I refer to this version:

It's her version of Sheila... I'd love to hear.
Regards,
FWD.

It should be in the NHS collection, will post an MP3 here if needed.
I refer to this version:

It's her version of Sheila... I'd love to hear.
Regards,
FWD.

God that's fantastic. It's always been one of my favorite unreleased tracks. What would a final mix have sounded like? "The soul shivers." If it's not inconvenient, yes I would love an mp3 download. Thanks FWD.

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom