Where did Morrissey live...

in_a_loveless_world

Gentle Misfit
Something I have always wondered about and am still unsure of, where did Morrissey live during the time of The Smiths? Or is this unknown?

Something I have always wondered about and am still unsure of, where did Morrissey live during the time of The Smiths? Or is this unknown?

His Mom's house for quite a while, I think

Interesting...I kinda thought that too for some reason. Thanks:)

Couldn't tell ya when he left...interestingly, I read Robert Smith lived with his parents up until sometime in 1984....After FIVE Cure albums..plus the Siouxsie work he did

j mascis was a rock star that lived with his parents too. Hey, he's covered songs by The Smiths and The Cure!
"I'll leave the house when I'm less scared Don't make me go, I'm not prepared"
dinosaur jr How'd You Pin that One On Me?

well Johnny knocked on kings raod 384 in 1982, that was where the Morrissey's lived that time

later he had an appartment in Manchester and London during the Smiths time,
don't know where

I read in an interview that the band members lived together in an appartment or house. Something like that. And Morrissey had the biggest and nicest room and the other three had smaller rooms. And one night Johnny Marr went to a flat next door to play guitar because he didn't want to wake up Morrissey.

between marr`s legs i reckon what do u think the song hand in glove it about innit

I read in an interview that the band members lived together in an appartment or house. Something like that. And Morrissey had the biggest and nicest room and the other three had smaller rooms. And one night Johnny Marr went to a flat next door to play guitar because he didn't want to wake up Morrissey.

Completely untrue.
When the Smiths really took off, he moved to London and lived alone for a large part of the Smiths lifespan. Until they split, I think. There are several TV interviews and articles during the time of the Smiths in which he describes where he lives in London. Much of his time in London was spent in Chelsea. Hence later references in songs to Sloanes Square etc. Johnny lived in Earls Court for some time. I think Andy and Mike stayed in Manchester.

Last edited:
Completely untrue.
When the Smiths really took off, he moved to London and lived alone for a large part of the Smiths lifespan. Until they split, I think. There are several TV interviews and articles during the time of the Smiths in which he describes where he lives in London. Much of his time in London was spent in Chelsea. Hence later references in songs to Sloanes Square etc. Johnny lived in Earls Court for some time. I think Andy and Mike stayed in Manchester.

That might be true but my version might be true either because my story is placed in Manchester where they lived together. It might be just for some weeks or months and then they might moved to London.

I have a picture in my mind where Johnny told this story, so it wasn't a printed interview but a "spoken" one. I think Johnny told about the very early years/months of The Smiths and they moved to London later.

They all moved to London in 1984 to be closer to Rough Trade.

According to Songs That Saved Your Life:
Morrissey took up thr lease on a flat off Kensington High Street, Marr found a flat a stone's throw away in Earl's Court while Rourke, Joyce and guitar technician Phil Powell took a shared house several miles north in Willesden.

That might be true but my version might be true either because my story is placed in Manchester where they lived together. It might be just for some weeks or months and then they might moved to London.

I have a picture in my mind where Johnny told this story, so it wasn't a printed interview but a "spoken" one. I think Johnny told about the very early years/months of The Smiths and they moved to London later.

I tink you might be referring to them living together whilst recording an album. Some recordings, I can't recall which, required them to live at the recording studios for the duration of the recording. I have read interviews where they have discussed this.

They never lived together unless it was a neccessity whilst recording.
If you read The Severed Alliance it's all in there.

I read an interview with him during The Smiths period when he talked about how he was rather ashamed of having moved to London. He had his own house there during that time, I am sure.

I tink you might be referring to them living together whilst recording an album.

Yes, that might be true. I don't believe it either that they lived together for more than a few weeks or even month. Moz as a loner and then always 3 guys around him.... in the kitchen, in the bath, everywhere... :D

Yes he did live on Campden Hill Road and also, according to the excellent new book 'Panic On The Streets' (available at all good book shops and probably a few crap ones as well + Amazon.... where was I....) oh yes, according to that excellent publication, Morrissey also lived on Cadagon Square (just up from Sloane Square) and also at 18 Regents Park Terrace, Primrose Hill, a short walk from Camden Town tube station.
The front cover of Oye Esteban was taken from his garden at this house.

Jukebox Jury

Back
Top Bottom