Which album "converted" you to Morrissey?

Meat Is Murder LP, more specifically The Headmaster Ritual, That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore and Well I Wonder.
This was back in 1985 at the time of release, and life has never been the same since.
Hearing that voice for the first time is something I will never forget.
I remember having The Headmaster Ritual on repeat for what seems like an eternity.
Yes, I am still right here, after all these years...

The Queen Is Dead in 1986.

I remember Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others being the first song that I consciously have heard on the radio. Then I bought the vinyl and that was the beginning.....

I really regret to not have had a chance to see the Smiths live in Germany. When it would have been possible to travel to a show, they already were history.

I heard "How Soon Is Now?" probably around 92 as a freshman in High School. I taped it off the radio with my boombox. And because I didn't have headphones, I laid the boombox on the edge of the bed and listened with my head between the speakers and a blanket over the boombox and me to muffle the sounds from my parents.

Because grunge had started to be become successful in the US, some radio stations changed their formats; and because they were lacking in "grunge" product, my new favorite station played college and indie rock as well, so I "discovered" Ministry, Pixies, Sonic Youth, and The Smiths within a couple of days of listening while doing homework.

My sister bought The Smiths Best I & II for me for Christmas. I initially hated Morrissey's moaning voice and lyrics with strong homosexual undercurrents, but I kept listening, because I had also got an All Music Guide for Christmas as well, and they were called the best band of the 80s, so I kept going until I "got" it.

I stopped being a homophobe directly because of Moz, though I didn't become a vegetarian.

My older sister's Kill Uncle cassette.

Still my fav Moz album

I got into the Smiths first, and took a bit longer to get into Moz solo. It was the end of my junior year of H.S., spring 1998 and I took a chance and ordered a couple Smiths albums from Columbia House (LOL) because so many of the hc/punk bands I worshipped love Morrissey. Best decision I ever made. "Meat Is Murder" and specifically the lead off track (Headmaster) is really what sold me.

As for Moz solo, it was "Vauxhall" that did me in. After that it was a mad dash to get anything he ever put his name on.

Strangeways was the first time I ever heard Morrisseys voice, I was 13 and had just started secondary school. A friend of mines sister had friends around to stay and one of them left the cassette behind, she knew I liked music and gave it to me, this was about the year after the smiths had spilt. I will never forget when i heard it for the first time it just opened my ears and from that time many moons ago I've listened to anything and everything with Moz's voice on, I fell head over heels ;)

My first encounter was The Smiths "The Queen Is Dead", I was 13 back then. But then I kinda forgotten about it, until Moz released "Vauxhall and I" that I lured back into Mozzerian World, forever.

Vauxhall. I was 15. I never knew about Morrissey before that. It was love a first listen. I heard "The More you Ignore me..." on the radio and bought the CD later that day. I was back at the record store later week to pick up "Your Arsenal" and the next week "Viva". I then brought the cd's to school to show my hip-music friend. And she said "oh cool, you like Morrissey! Don't you love the Smiths?!" I responded :"who are The Smiths?" Oh dear! lol! Needless to say another trip to the record store was needed. I got "Louder than Bombs" and the love affair continued!

Last edited:
Re: Which album "converted" you to Morrissey?

Not an album, but a single: The Last of the Famous International Playboys. A dinged-up 12" copy I found in a nearby record store.

For some reason, I was not really down with Morrissey-Solo for a long time. I guess it was peer pressure. It was kind of uncool among my group of friends to like Morrissey, despite us all being big Smiths fans. At any rate, I really didn't want to like it, but I loved it.

- - - Updated - - -

My older sister's Kill Uncle cassette.

Still my fav Moz album

Kudos. That was the first album I bought after I heard "Playboys", and it's still one of my favorites, too.

"Your Arsenal".
I was watching his performance on 'The Late Show' and liked the sound of it. I read up on a few magazine articles and was intrigued to see that Mick Ronson was the producer so that sold it for me. Not looked back since.

That time of YA/Beethoven/V&I was magic.

Back
Top Bottom