Which events formed Morrissey's personality?

A

Anonymous

I know it has been discussed before but since we are in the year 2015 and know a few more things (supposedly) which events shaped the Moz? What are the roots of his many quirks? Because, obviously, there are always reasons behind the behaviour of people?

For example, I think there is no denying that his experiences in school pretty much shaped his attitude towards authorities. Also he seems to have a deep need to always be on top of everything as if he would disappoint someone should he fail. I can't imagine that this person is his mother.

I know it has been discussed before but since we are in the year 2015 and know a few more things (supposedly) which events shaped the Moz? What are the roots of his many quirks? Because, obviously, there are always reasons behind the behaviour of people?

For example, I think there is no denying that his experiences in school pretty much shaped his attitude towards authorities. Also he seems to have a deep need to always be on top of everything as if he would disappoint someone should he fail. I can't imagine that this person is his mother.

I'd say maybe his father...

His mother. He's very defensive, as though from a lifetime of being passive-aggresively nitpicked.

His relationship with his father has always interested me, simply because we know so little about it. The snippets we get seem to be quite negative, or indifferent at best. I wouldn't be surprised if we found that they had been estranged for many years.

His relationship with his father has always interested me, simply because we know so little about it. The snippets we get seem to be quite negative, or indifferent at best. I wouldn't be surprised if we found that they had been estranged for many years.

Is his father vegetarian, by the way?

That is a debate about heritage and environment but I think the environment shaped him as it was clear he could not identify with the humdrum life and working culture that still dominate mancunian culture. His long walks were a way to escape but also create creative thoughts. The walks could be seen as a desire to leave. Morrissey saw things differently than most around him and the older he's got the more he's shown a need to stand out and have a unique idea or viewpoint on most things. I am sure he didn't handle violence well and not because it frightened him but because he probably felt he stood above that sort of behaviour. Rarely do clever people fight well as we know.

He seemed to have a very safe and solid upbringing where he could spend time in his own little world but no one can deny that what took place at school must have had a massive impact on him early on. Morrissey has proved though that all hardships and bad experiences became valuable tools to create something that gave him a career so without his past he may have never written the things he did.

I have met people that knew him before his fame and just after and he was seen as a weirdo before he got famous and is still regarded by most mancunian locals as a weird man that few relate to. The reaction one gets is people smile all weird and question if he is indeed famous because he might be the most unknown famous man in music ever.

Is his father vegetarian, by the way?

His dad took him to see United play and his father himself had trials with the club. It seems to me they had a typical father and son relationship but with Moz being gay I think they soon drifted apart.

I hate to mention The Severed Alliance but if the quotes by his father are genuine then I would have been hurt as a son. How can someone say "I felt I was a very good father" but then go on and say "Jackie had a terrific personality but, to me, Steven was like an awkward kid. When anyone picked on him, he'd come for Jackie. She'd go out and sort him out. She was brilliant." It becomes very clear what he admires in a person and what not. It may be true that he is a calm and funny man who rarely shouts (like Moz) but you can hurt and damage people in a more subtle way and I think that's what happened here. Sometimes it's all about expectations.

"Two years on, at Stretford Stadium I represent the school in the 400 meters dash (of sorts), legs muddled, face wet with rain, I clamber in at fourth place. My father is standing by the finishing-line. As I approach him he says 'You didn't win,' and he looks away, and life decomposes in a bucket. Perhaps I didn't win but it didn't help anyone to point it out."

"Sometimes I dance around the room with Rita as I'm livin' in shame wags its finger, until the day Dad tells me I look embarrassing so I stop."

"My eleventh year brings my becloaked stage debut at the local community center. In the play On Dartmoor, I am Ulrick, a sulky child with a stupid voice. Unseen, I persistently shout down from an imaginary bedroom. The audience laugh, but my father does not. ‘You were very embarrassing’, he tells me, as I appear all-smiles, and my air-balloon collides."

But I still believe that the biggest damage was done in school ...

I hate to mention The Severed Alliance but if the quotes by his father are genuine then I would have been hurt as a son. How can someone say "I felt I was a very good father" but then go on and say "Jackie had a terrific personality but, to me, Steven was like an awkward kid. When anyone picked on him, he'd come for Jackie. She'd go out and sort him out. She was brilliant." It becomes very clear what he admires in a person and what not. It may be true that he is a calm and funny man who rarely shouts (like Moz) but you can hurt and damage people in a more subtle way and I think that's what happened here. Sometimes it's all about expectations.

"Two years on, at Stretford Stadium I represent the school in the 400 meters dash (of sorts), legs muddled, face wet with rain, I clamber in at fourth place. My father is standing by the finishing-line. As I approach him he says 'You didn't win,' and he looks away, and life decomposes in a bucket. Perhaps I didn't win but it didn't help anyone to point it out."

"Sometimes I dance around the room with Rita as I'm livin' in shame wags its finger, until the day Dad tells me I look embarrassing so I stop."

"My eleventh year brings my becloaked stage debut at the local community center. In the play On Dartmoor, I am Ulrick, a sulky child with a stupid voice. Unseen, I persistently shout down from an imaginary bedroom. The audience laugh, but my father does not. ‘You were very embarrassing’, he tells me, as I appear all-smiles, and my air-balloon collides."

But I still believe that the biggest damage was done in school ...

Lovely dad who tried his best to avoid his son becoming a pederast.

for sure his dad. i always thought he had a strong connection to his father and that his father was sorta self absorbed. biological issues creep into the question for me based on some of the physical behavior and school for sure but i feel thats just a bit of the larger issue of growing up in the bankrupt post war uk and the mindless anger that was just everywhere. i think thats where his love reason and composure come from. just a recoil from all the lucky jims out there (funny, book takes place at a college)

for sure his dad. i always thought he had a strong connection to his father and that his father was sorta self absorbed. biological issues creep into the question for me based on some of the physical behavior and school for sure but i feel thats just a bit of the larger issue of growing up in the bankrupt post war uk and the mindless anger that was just everywhere. i think thats where his love reason and composure come from. just a recoil from all the lucky jims out there (funny, book takes place at a college)
Morrissey also likes to perpetuate the myth, that he is a rebel and his father is a uptight man how does not understand his ways, ala James Dean! Moz autobio is not that objective of an source

- - - Updated - - -

He isn't gay- he likes both -,:/ here we go again
:(:(:(

You can never stop the anons never......

Morrissey also likes to perpetuate the myth, that he is a rebel and his father is a uptight man how does not understand his ways, ala James Dean! Moz autobio is not that objective of an source

- - - Updated - - -

You can never stop the anons never......

i always thought of his dad as a macho rock and roll type myself

i always thought of his dad as a macho rock and roll type myself

Yea, and morris is all glamour and the new york dolls. I think he really loves the Idea that he is a rebel, against his familys views and the rest of the world

Yea, and morris is all glamour and the new york dolls. I think he really loves the Idea that he is a rebel, against his familys views and the rest of the world

well i guess they had elvis in common

Back
Top Bottom