Who had the harder life? Morrissey or Johnny?

A

Anonymous

In my world it's Moz because if I had to choose one skin to be in I definately would choose Johnny's. Moz is the more interesting character to watch and observe but certainly not to BE. His live is more interesting to watch and observe but, again, I'm glad I didn't have to live one second of it.

It's always been easier for Johnny to fit in with other people, and that can make a huge difference in life.

It's always been easier for Johnny to fit in with other people, and that can make a huge difference in life.

Yes, and he is with Angie since he was 14 years old. I suppose that is a HUGE source of security and home for Johnny. You can't say the same about Moz.

I would say Moz has a harder life. Post-Smiths Johnny seems to have had lots of successes repeatedly. We know how Moz has struggled with record labels and health and the Court case really bothered him. Johnny seems to be really optimistic whereas Moz, rightfully so, is more realistic in my very humble opinion. I hope Moz is happy.

Not sure that it’s a question of either having hard lives - they are just men with different values.

Johnny has always had a very stable, nurturing domestic life with his wife and children and comes across happy and contented, mostly. On the other hand, Morrissey had troubled relationships and struggles with depression but has always had his fame and professional success to fall back on.

Nobody is 100% happy, are they? I’m sure there are days when Johnny wishes he could sell out the M.E.N Arena instead of playing clubs and ‘indie’ venues, and days when Morrissey wishes he had someone as constant and unwavering as Angie in his life.

Johnny seems the most content, sure, but he can be bitter as well. Perhaps having a family changes your priorities a bit.

Not sure that it’s a question of either having hard lives - they are just men with different values.

Johnny has always had a very stable, nurturing domestic life with his wife and children and comes across happy and contented, mostly. On the other hand, Morrissey had troubled relationships and struggles with depression but has always had his fame and professional success to fall back on.

Nobody is 100% happy, are they? I’m sure there are days when Johnny wishes he could sell out the M.E.N Arena instead of playing clubs and ‘indie’ venues, and days when Morrissey wishes he had someone as constant and unwavering as Angie in his life.

Johnny seems the most content, sure, but he can be bitter as well. Perhaps having a family changes your priorities a bit.

Yeah, you're probably right. It's just that I sometimes look at Moz' life and the events we know about (deaths, broke relationships, disappointments, diseases etc.) and think to myself "How can all of this happen to just one person?". It's a bit unfair, isn't it? These things have certainly left their mark. Sometimes I think people expect too much of Moz. How had he better dealt with all of this?

As far as the traditional life goes- Johnny Marr probably has a happier life. And while Johnny may occasionally sing a Smith's song, Morrissey has actually lived those words. At the end of the day I'd rather be Morrissey, grey skies and all.

Who has had the harder life - Johnny Marr or Steven I've-never-worked-a-day-in-my-life Morrissey?

Hmm. Let me think on it...

I sometimes look at Moz' life and the events we know about (deaths, broke relationships, disappointments, diseases etc.) and think to myself "How can all of this happen to just one person?". It's a bit unfair, isn't it? These things have certainly left their mark. Sometimes I think people expect too much of Moz. How had he better dealt with all of this?

Millions of "normal" people suffer from these tragedies, minus, the good looks, money, fame, talent, legacy, parties, traveling and having their image permanently in NME wank bank. Hey that's my fate. I'll change my life with him in a second.

So all in all is not that difficult to be moz, just different.

I'll leave you with this story from Noel Gallagher

“This guy came up to me from some band and he said that ‘Man, I’d hate to be you right now, no privacy at all’ and I was thinking, ‘Sure thing man, I have a f***ing Rolls Royce, a million dollars in the bank, a f***ing mansion and my own jet and you think you’d feel sorry for me? What are you? I’d hate to be you, broke as hell living in the dole.'”

We are all born into and from suffering. It will stay that way but some of us collects cushions and painkillers on the road

Last edited by a moderator:
Millions of "normal" people suffer from these tragedies, minus, the good looks, money, fame, talent, legacy, parties, traveling and having their image permanently in NME wank bank. Hey that's my fate. I'll change my life with him in a second.

So all in all is not that difficult to be moz, just different.

I'll leave you with this story from Noel Gallagher

“This guy came up to me from some band and he said that ‘Man, I’d hate to be you right now, no privacy at all’ and I was thinking, ‘Sure thing man, I have a f***ing Rolls Royce, a million dollars in the bank, a f***ing mansion and my own jet and you think you’d feel sorry for me? What are you? I’d hate to be you, broke as hell living in the dole.'”

We are all born into and from suffering. It will stay that way but some of us collects cushions and painkillers on the road

First of all, what has Noel Gallagher to do with it? Secondly, "normal" people, as you call them, also suffer from these tragedies AND SOME OF THEM PROBABLY SUFFER. And you think just because Moz is famous and rich, tragedies don't burden him? He puts the death of loved ones away just like that just because he is a millionaire? This is a stupid statement to make.

First of all, what has Noel Gallagher to do with it? Secondly, "normal" people, as you call them, also suffer from these tragedies AND SOME OF THEM PROBABLY SUFFER. And you think just because Moz is famous and rich, tragedies don't burden him? He puts the death of loved ones away just like that just because he is a millionaire? This is a stupid statement to make.
First of all if you can't see the Noel gallaghers story and the connection with your stament I can't help you. Second did you understand what I meant? I meant that millions suffer from these problem that morrissey suffers from too, but they don't have the bouns of fame, fortune and all the things listed above. My sympathy is reserved mostly for them.

I don't say this tragedies don't burden him but he has it a lot and I meant a lot easier the most people. Millions suffer from crippling depression but they don't have the love and adoration that moz has from millions. They are lying in the streets without a single companion.

I won't pity morrissey. It's not a stupid statement is a valid one. Sry for your inability to understand it.

Example
Jane doe: suffers from depression. Goes to a two-bit shrink who(if she can afford it) who barely listen to her and she comes home to a family who says snap out of it.

Morrissey: suffers from depression. Can go to the worlds finest shrink if he wants to(this of course if the shrink follows morrisseys rules of psychoanalysis and has a picture of the queen with her eyes cut out on his desk) comes home to millions of teenage fans throwing masses of letters containing support, understandment of his depression and empathy. Also he comes home to a entourage who encourages and comforts him whenever he needs it and if he is around Manchester his mother.

I'm not trivializing morrissey problems but I'm saying he has it better that the most of us

Millions suffer from crippling depression but they don't have the love and adoration that moz has from millions. They are lying in the streets without a single companion

You don't understand the nature of depression. If you are in the middle of an episode things like love and adoration mean nothing to you. You are incapable of feeling anything at all. That is the frustrating part for people who want to help. Actually, too much affection and nursing can rather irritate the one who is depressed. Furthermore the best doctors won't change anything if therapies just don't work for you which is always a possibility.

You don't understand the nature of depression. If you are in the middle of an episode things like love and adoration mean nothing to you. You are incapable of feeling anything at all. That is the frustrating part for people who want to help. Actually, too much affection and nursing can rather irritate the one who is depressed. Furthermore the best doctors won't change anything if therapies just don't work for you which is always a possibility.
I don't know about depression. Buddy I have been suffering from it all my life. Not light severe. So I suggest you think twice. I been to every shrink in the book and trough every pill in the dictionary

The thing is i love the man, but he has made himself to a martyr and we have fallen for it like snail trough a beer trap. Everyone with depression deserve help and love. But the thing is there is no need for throwing oneself into a bed, burying your head in a pillow kicking and screaming "oh how can the universe expect for morrissey to handle such a life" his sorrows are quite common his blessing and riches are not. That being said, I wish morrissey nothing but love, patience, understandment and compassion. I gladly give it to him. Depression is not easy at all. I started listening to him because I felt empathy and that he understand. That in its self is a huge gift the quite possibly saved him, many people suffer from depression but don't have any outlet or ability to convey their emotions. They end up with a self inflicted gunshot wound to the head.

Please don't lower moz to a "oh poor little Steven, let's coddle him to death"

People view of morrissey: the poor beaten up soul really makes me thing about the morrissey, fan letter and hand in glove incident

I don't know about depression. Buddy I have been suffering from it all my life. Not light severe. So I suggest you think twice. I been to every shrink in the book and trough every pill in the dictionary

The thing is i love the man, but he has made himself to a martyr and we have fallen for it like snail trough a beer trap. Everyone with depression deserve help and love. But the thing is there is no need for throwing oneself into a bed, burying your head in a pillow kicking and screaming "oh how can the universe expect for morrissey to handle such a life" his sorrows are quite common his blessing and riches are not. That being said, I wish morrissey nothing but love, patience, understandment and compassion. I gladly give it to him. Depression is not easy at all. I started listening to him because I felt empathy and that he understand. That in its self is a huge gift the quite possibly saved him, many people suffer from depression but don't have any outlet or ability to convey their emotions. They end up with a self inflicted gunshot wound to the head.

People view of morrissey: the poor beaten up soul really makes me thing about the morrissey, fan letter and hand in glove incident

I agree with your comment and especially with thehe has made himself a martyr part. I feel like he enjoys giving people, and epecially his fans, that image. I have to admit it kinda bother me that so many of his fans bought into that image that he wanted to portray, because feel like he is not like that at all. Or maybe he was like that when he was younger, but not now

Whatever happened in his well-documented past, Morrissey seems perfectly happy to me now, and has done for several years going by interviews. Sure, he seems to hold a lot of bitterness and resentment for other people, but he is swimming in money, and living his life exactly how he wants to. He has total control over his personal and professional life. Spending his life swanning around the world in 5 star hotels with Damon is obviously what he wants to do.

Anyway, all these Morrissey/Marr comparison threads are getting a bit much, aren't they? The poor buggers split up 28 years ago, let them have their own lives.

But you are taking the lies he tells interviewers as fact. You don't know what he's like in private or about his life at all.

I'm not sure how much else Morrissey could tell us about being lost, being frustrated, always being betrayed, not fitting in, not liking people, seeing life as sick and absurd, etc. And even when he's not telling us something like that, we can watch as he tries to interact with the world and seems to just get a bunch of mess out of the attempt. Johnny meanwhile seems pretty chill and happy. We love Morrissey's art but being him would not be anybody's picnic. Being a tortured artist is something you do because of the torture. And then throw the bizarre distortions of fame on it all. No thanks. Not for me. I'll be good natured easygoing low key healthy Johnny instead, with enough fame for some access and good feedback but not people showing up at all hours trying to shove poetry and letters and flowers through your mail slot or, say, making it their hobby to take loopy shits on you online all day every day. Maybe Johnny has fantasies about how he wishes things had gone, but I imagine he's pretty happy with how it has gone.

Back
Top Bottom