Whose music did you get into first

Whose music did you get into first?

• The Smiths

Votes: 51 60.0%
  • Morrissey

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I got into both @ exactly the same time

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • actually,I am still not really into either, how strange that I come to this site, isn't it?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
"actually,I am still not really into either, how strange that I come to this site, isn't it?" is winning, with about 43% of the votes.. :squiffy:

Since when?

It was winning; someone or something reset the votes during the course of yesterday. When I posted the last option had 80 votes, I believe. Someone's been tampering with the poll?

Personally I got into The Smiths first then Morrissey, I am too young to have liked The Smiths when they were around, but at least since the mid 90s they probably have more high a profile than Morrisey's solo career... even considering that Morrissey is still active.

1983 november,being 18, heard ' this charming man' on Dutch radio
[there was another system those daysbut evenings were more alternative,
or not the hitchart nmrs and great older nmbrs] .

God must have send me to prison, cause there was it where
I heard it

btw, i didn't do anyting , well lets say in big terms all that
relates to personal abuse/violence/offending

I didn't do much than look out , the other 2 climbed up a
big megastore, wth a scewdriver they opened the lightwindows on the roof,
and got in

i got half a year in prison, and discoverved a band named The Smiths
and the after coming out, I followed their carreer [out of prison] and was totally
hypnothised by Morrissey's lyrics and the music from Marr/Rourke/Joyce

my only mistake is Inever saw them live, living in the Netherlands

after the split, ofcourse i followed Morrissey, who still comes close
to what the Smiths were

Plus Morrissey's songwriters [Boorer/Whyte/Street/Cobrin-Day/Farrel/Tobias/Nevin/Reilly,etc.
made some legendary songs also, but the Smiths was/is still
my favourite, just how much the acomplished and influenced musichistory
and will be in the future

AMEN

Last edited:
Unfortunately I'm old enough to have been a Smiths fan first but never seen them live because my family was too much into that church thing and didn't allow me to travel (to LA, SF) to see them. I had to lie just to see some of my other favorite bands (i.e. Cure) when they came to Phoenix in the 19-haties. Thank you Kimber at Stinkweeds (Indie record store in Phx) for getting all those Smiths imports back then too!

PSB , I loved their early songs and beautiful covers. I used to collect them than Moz/The Smiths came over and everything changed for the best...
Cheers Moz

some interesting responses so far, thx :thumb:
and reading back :straightface: to clarify, I am old :o & got into the Smiths 1st, but I use to know someone real well who got into Moz's music first :eek:
also, umm, as to the poll numbers, they are correct now :confused: right? :squiffy:

A Smiths memory...1983-1984...91X radio station here insane diego and the d.j. says, "Have you seen this new band called The Smiths yet? They have this unusual front man who does these contortions and Marcel M. poses on stage. Quite original and all those flowers...Still Ill?? Absolutely!!! Thank god, somethings can not change. david g. & MollyMae Oh Ya...Hi Steve West..the best D.J. ever!

Strangeways in 1990. Copied from a friend. Didn't like it all that much at the time come to think of it. I wouldn't say it would be the best album to start with.

I was a 19 year old Bowie fan in 1995. Somehow, I hadn't really heard much of The Smiths/Morrissey apart from the odd single on the radio. Anyway, I went to a Bowie gig with Morrissey in support. Morrissey completely upstaged Bowie with his onstage charisma. That is where it started, so I would have to say Morrissey.

I got into Morrissey from his video 'november spawned a monster' that aired on Beavis & Butthead. I'm not sure how old I was. I was either 14 or 15. I got into the smiths a couple of years later when I started using the internet.

I got into Morrissey from his video 'november spawned a monster' that aired on Beavis & Butthead. I'm not sure how old I was. I was either 14 or 15. I got into the smiths a couple of years later when I started using the internet.
wow, weren't they making fun of that video? :lbf:
great that Beavis & Butthead could turn you into a Moz fan :thumb:
I tell you, that Beavis and Butthead helped sell records, when I worked for an L.A. Goth label back in the mid 90s :guitar:
we would see a noticeable bump in the sales of any of artist(of ours) whose videos they showed, regardless of the context...

Back
Top Bottom