Why Do Radio Stations Play The Cure But Not Morrissey?

Vauxhall95

I Know It's Over...
My local "alternative" station here in Phoenix will routinely play The Cure at least once a day, sometimes twice or more; however, I have never once heard a Morrissey tune. The played "How Soon Is Now" once.

Honestly, why do you suppose that is?

My theories:
- Morrissey's accent?
- Morrissey's mostly lackluster videos which possibly translate into little recognition (even on the radio)?

Any thoughts?? And please, no The Cure sucks or vice-versa, I honestly just want to get to the reasoning behind this...

-Vaux

I had a similar thought:
Why do radio stations play Depeche Mode and New Order but no Morrissey?:confused:

the cure = middle class tossers

love

Grim

It testifies to the fact that twenty years on, Morrissey's songs still upset and challenge people. His honesty touched raw nerves that have never healed over. That's what's so great about him. When you're genuinely disturbing to those with complacent attitudes about men and women, politics, music, and so on, you never really become domesticated, so to speak. The Cure and (bless them, but I must admit) New Order weren't so disturbing that time would fail to smooth them over; they weren't, it did. Now they are palatable to radio programmers and movie soundtrack compilers looking for cool but unthreatening stuff.

Although, to be honest, The Smiths might fit in the same category as "Just Like Heaven" and "Bizarre Love Triangle" if "How Soon Is Now?" were only three minutes long. But they were poison to radio then, and they're poison to radio now-- and happily so! You can still play a Smiths song on the stereo at most big parties and instantly make a few dozen people look aghast and start squirming in their shoes, and that's a power to treasure. The Cure's poppier material is totally mindless and has no such effect.

the cure = middle class tossers

love

Grim

Oh yeah, that too.

It testifies to the fact that twenty years on, Morrissey's songs still upset and challenge people. His honesty touched raw nerves that have never healed over. That's what's so great about him. When you're genuinely disturbing to those with complacent attitudes about men and women, politics, music, and so on, you never really become domesticated, so to speak. The Cure and (bless them, but I must admit) New Order weren't so disturbing that time would fail to smooth them over; they weren't, it did. Now they are palatable to radio programmers and movie soundtrack compilers looking for cool but unthreatening stuff.

Although, to be honest, The Smiths might fit in the same category as "Just Like Heaven" and "Bizarre Love Triangle" if "How Soon Is Now?" were only three minutes long. But they were poison to radio then, and they're poison to radio now-- and happily so! You can still play a Smiths song on the stereo at most big parties and instantly make a few dozen people look aghast and start squirming in their shoes, and that's a power to treasure. The Cure's poppier material is totally mindless and has no such effect.

Oh yeah, that too.

I'm not sure if The Cure has gotten much radio airplay for their last two albums. and I think Mint Car was the last song that got any real heavy rotation on Alternative Radio

do they play new Cure?
i'm guessin no
& mozzy babie* is relegated to being thought of as retro
like the cure
but maybe if he worked with ashlee simpson like fat bob has
he could fix this :rolleyes:

*=by this i meant 'The Smiths'

Last edited:
do they play new Cure?
i'm guessin no
& mozzy babie is relegated to being thought of as retro
like the cure
but maybe if he worked with ashlee simpson like fat bob has
he could fix this :rolleyes:

Robert Smith has worked with Ashlee Simpson????

Well... I even started a thread about this, but I'm so blessed to be in a country with at least 4 o 5 radios that play Morrissey and The Smiths on A DAILY BASIS!!! And on that daily basis, I'd say those radios play him twice or thrice a day... i.e.: last sunday I just arrived to my boyfriends' place and he turned on the radio and guess what they started to play: Reel Around The Fountain!! Just like that, as a part of their normal playlist...

Play FM, X FM, Concierto FM, Tiempo FM and Club FM are these radios, being Play FM the one that plays Morrissey the most... Actually last friday My 18th, they dedicated their special to Morrissey with half an hour of his songs including Let Me Kiss You and I'm Not Sorry!!! :D

Not a day goes by without listening to Morrissey or The Smiths everytime I move the tuner on the radio.

You should come all to Chile!!!! Hahaha... :)

Well... I even started a thread about this, but I'm so blessed to be in a country with at least 4 o 5 radios that play Morrissey and The Smiths on A DAILY BASIS!!! And on that daily basis, I'd say those radios play him twice or thrice a day... i.e.: last sunday I just arrived to my boyfriends' place and he turned on the radio and guess what they started to play: Reel Around The Fountain!! Just like that, as a part of their normal playlist...

Play FM, X FM, Concierto FM, Tiempo FM and Club FM are these radios, being Play FM the one that plays Morrissey the most... Actually last friday My 18th, they dedicated their special to Morrissey with half an hour of his songs including Let Me Kiss You and I'm Not Sorry!!! :D

Not a day goes by without listening to Morrissey or The Smiths everytime I move the tuner on the radio.

You should come all to Chile!!!! Hahaha... :)

I would die of shock if that happned here :eek:
Yay Chile! :D

I think it has to do with the popularity that the Cure have enjoyed in the US, which far outweighs any popularity the Smiths or Morrissey ever had here. Remember, once upon a time, the Cure regularly played the largest stadiums this country has. I remember seeing them as a teenager in LA at Dodger Stadium and the Rose Bowl. The largest Moz has ever played, I think, is the Hollywood Bowl, which you can fit five of those into the Rose Bowl...

True. They were absolutely massive here in the 80s, especially around the Head on the Door/Kiss Me era.

Once when I was at the dentist's office "Girlfriend in a Coma" came on.
I was so excited.
So whenever the dentist finished whatever it was he was doing I asked him what radio station it was....And he said it was internet radio.
Boo.
I thought an actual radio station in my city was playing The Smiths.
I don't listen to the radio anyways, all we have here is tejano stations and rock stations that play nickelback, godsmack, and all those other lame rock bands all day.

I think it has to do with the popularity that the Cure have enjoyed in the US, which far outweighs any popularity the Smiths or Morrissey ever had here. Remember, once upon a time, the Cure regularly played the largest stadiums this country has. I remember seeing them as a teenager in LA at Dodger Stadium and the Rose Bowl. The largest Moz has ever played, I think, is the Hollywood Bowl, which you can fit five of those into the Rose Bowl...

That answers it perfectly. They don't play Moz because he simply didn't sell as well.

Back
Top Bottom