Why does Morrissey hate Thursdays?

mcrickson

Reckless Endangerment
I've been meaning to pose this discussion for awhile - and who knows, it's likely been brought up before, I just haven't looked.

"Monday - humiliation / Tuesday - suffocation / Wednesday - condescension / Thursday - is pathetic."

"And when the Palmist said: 'One Thursday you will be dead.'"

"I've been told that you've been bold / With Harry, Mark and John / Monday, Tuesday, any day but Thursday / With Harry, Mark and John." ("Satellite of Love" lyric change)

And I think there's possibly at least one more that's escaping me at the moment.

Do we know why Morrissey has shown disdain for Thursdays? I went for the obvious and looked - the day he was born in '59 was a Friday. In some interview or another he cheekily mentioned May 21, 1959 as being the day when he was happiest. Think it's that?

The only other guess for me would be the 'official' day of the Smiths' split, which I don't suppose anyone knows as public knowledge.

What do you folks think?

EDIT: Mike Joyce's day of birth was a Saturday, so no luck there. :p

Last edited:
List of the Lost was released on a Thursday... :)
FWD.

I've been meaning to pose this discussion for awhile - and who knows, it's likely been brought up before, I just haven't looked.

"Monday - humiliation / Tuesday - suffocation / Wednesday - condescension / Thursday - is pathetic."

"And when the Palmist said: 'One Thursday you will be dead.'"

"I've been told that you've been bold / With Harry, Mark and John / Monday, Tuesday, any day but Thursday / With Harry, Mark and John." ("Satellite of Love" lyric change)

And I think there's possibly at least one more that's escaping me at the moment.

Do we know why Morrissey has shown disdain for Thursdays? I went for the obvious and looked - the day he was born in '59 was a Friday. In some interview or another he cheekily mentioned May 21, 1959 as being the day when he was happiest. Think it's that?

The only other guess for me would be the 'official' day of the Smiths' split, which I don't suppose anyone knows as public knowledge.

What do you folks think?

EDIT: Mike Joyce's day of birth was a Saturday, so no luck there. :p

I hate Thursday's too.
Don't know why.
As a matter of fact, I hate all days, but Thursday's are the worst.

What about the months?
To think of February makes me puke.
Hate December.
Had a slight preference for May.
But after May has been so near to that open grave I scrapped it from my preference list.

If the days have names, the months, why not the weeks and the years too?
Than I could hate them so much more too.
But I don't hate people. Well, not all of them.
A little bit of hate, sometimes, is okay.

Hmmm...interesting! This actually made me chuckle, mcrickson. In a good way, of course! Good question!!

I hate Thursday's too.
Don't know why.

What about the months?
Hate December.
But after May has been so near to that open grave I scrapped it from my preference list.

I like Thursday. Wednesday, however, is a drag.

As far as months go...I'm in favor of the Fall. October being my favorite month of all. May used to be nice, but not anymore. It's dreadful, actually.

"In 2000, Kirsty telephones me in Los Angeles to ask about Mexico, because she knows that every drab Thursday I excitedly flit over the border. Kirsty wants to know if Cancun would be worth the trek, and I urge her to go."

From Autobiography

I reckon me think because Thursdays is power walk day from Malibu to Zuma and he always finishes last behind Ozzy, John Lydon, Dave Evans, Ranking Roger, and the old guy from Herman's Hermits.

I reckon he loves Tuesdays because it's Veggie Taco Tuesday at The Sunset Marquis.

he may just like the way Thursday feels in his mouth when he sings it, the curvature of it... try it (don't be shy!), now try the other days of the week, ... they don't feel as good, do they ? :)

I hate Thursday's too.
Don't know why.

What about the months?
Hate December.

what? but thursday is the best day! what's wrong with you? in fact, i was born on a thursday, ill have you know. a thursday in december, thank you very much! :(:p

also february is easily the best month! well, february and november.

OMG February and November are the absolute worst months. How can you live like that? :)

Last edited:
I really like the line "Thursday is pathetic".
My mother died last year on a Thursday. Made me think of the other line (one Thursday you will be dead), well, could have been any other day of course, but...

because its the day before payday and hes skint.

That one line made me think of the novel sweet Thursday as the title is a reference to lousy wensday and waiting Friday. Doubt morrissey is a Steinbeck reader though

what? but thursday is the best day! what's wrong with you? in fact, i was born on a thursday, ill have you know. a thursday in december, thank you very much! :(:p

also february is easily the best month! well, february and november.

I changed my opinion.
Oh how I love Thursdays now. :p

So you're either Sagittarius or Capricorn?
I am Libra. A September one. My Ascendant is Capricorn.
My beloved brother was Sagittarius too.
It's all nonsense but nice nonsense to fantasise about.
In Chinese mythology the year of the Cock has started now. Hmm. :rolleyes:
I am a dragon. :squiffy:
Went to see the party in little China Town in my city. The Hague.
They have the best fireworks and the party was great!
Cheers Rifke!

I changed my opinion.
Oh how I love Thursdays now. :p

So you're either Sagittarius or Capricorn?
I am Libra. A September one. My Ascendant is Capricorn.
My beloved brother was Sagittarius too.
It's all nonsense but nice nonsense to fantasise about.
In Chinese mythology the year of the Cock has started now. Hmm. :rolleyes:
I am a dragon. :squiffy:
Went to see the party in little China Town in my city. The Hague.
They have the best fireworks and the party was great!
Cheers Rifke!
aw that sounds like fun! i always thought chinese new year was in february? i have no idea what animal i am, but as you may guess im hoping it's a bunny!
yes, i am a sagittarius, like your brother! it is nonsense--i make a point of purposely NOT reading the horoscope in the paper or not listening when some dope reads it out to me--and yet, despite that, i do tend to think sagittariuses are the best! :p

aw that sounds like fun! i always thought chinese new year was in february? i have no idea what animal i am, but as you may guess im hoping it's a bunny!
yes, i am a sagittarius, like your brother! it is nonsense--i make a point of purposely NOT reading the horoscope in the paper or not listening when some dope reads it out to me--and yet, despite that, i do tend to think sagittariuses are the best! :p

Was it some kind of pre party than? Now I am confused.
Maybe it is sometimes just in January or next year just in February?
I don't know.
I am afraid the year of the bunny doesn't exist. :oops:
There is a year of the Hare. :)
Would that satisfy you? I am afraid not. :o

To be born in a year of the dragon is considered to be very lucky by Chinese people, but maybe that is when you are Chinese and I am not, should I say unfortunately?

If there is one adventureous sign in the zodiac than it's Sagittarius.
They feel free and do whatever they want. They want freedom.
No authority whatsoever, on any matter is being accepted.
Emotional blackmail has no effect. They do as they please.
If someone said to my brother, you can't do that, he said why not?
And just to prove he could he did it.

I don't believe in the predicting of horoscopes either.
But sometimes there are things I can't explain and they seem to have some relevance.
Some of the signs consist of 2 elements.
Like Libra, Pisces and Gemini.
I can always get a long quite good with these signs.
And Sagittarius as well.
I also have never any difficulties with Scorpio.
That sign has a somewhat bad reputation but I never had a problem with them.
Very warm, intelligent, smart but never cheat on them.
Than they will seek revenge.
I found out I don't get a long with Aries and Lion. :paranoid:

Tags
discussion lyrics question speculation thursday
Back
Top Bottom