Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself

Silke

What does "sick down to my heart" mean?

I tried to find the song and possible earlier discussions with the search function but it refused to look for terms, only searched for individual words. :confused:

The sanest days are mad
Why dont you find out for yourself ?
Then youll see the price
Very closely

Some men here
They have a special interest
In your career
They wanna help you to grow
And then syphon all your dough
Then youll see the glass
Hidden in the grass

Youll never believe me, so
Sick down to my heart
Thats just the way it goes

Some men here
They know the full extent of
Your distress
They kneel and pray
And they say :
Long may it last

Then youll see the glass
Hidden in the grass
Bad scenes come and go
For which you must allow
Sick down to my heart
Thats just the way it goes

Dont rake up my mistakes
I know exactly what they are
And ... what do you do ?
Well ... you just sit there
Ive been stabbed in the back
So many many times
I dont have any skin
But thats just the way it goes

sane: having a healthy mind; not mad; showing good judgement; moderate; sensible
dough: thick mixture of flour, water, etc. ready to be baked into bread, pastry, etc; (sl) money
distress: cause of great pain, sorrow, suffering; (suffering caused by) lack of money, food, etc; state of being in danger or difficulty and requiring help
to rake up: move sth up with a rake; collect (people or things) with difficulty; remind people of (sth that it would be better to forget)

I would say it's a mist of depression and uncomformism that makes you totally sick... so sick you can't stand it.

I think he's so repulsed and disheartened by everything, and the behaviour of 'some men here', that it makes him feel ill and miserable.

Sick at heart is an English idiom and just means to be unhappy and dispirited. I think he's evoking the feeling of depression as heartache, personally. I love this song.

I have always thought that the lyrics are about Morrissey's disillusionment with the music industry and the characters he encounters.

Peter

I know that in the past when I have felt "sick down to my heart", this song is a huge comfort.

One of my favoutite lyrics.

His Live version of this song on Introducing Morrissey is superb, full of emotions, especially when he sings, don't rake up my mistake, I know exactly what they are, very moving watching him sing it. I love this song, :guitar:

I love this song too, quite simply the best lyrics in my opinion that hes written as a solo artist. I literally cried when i heard this live!!

it can also mean disgusted with something or someone. Bit of a Moz way of saying "Sick to my stomach".

His Live version of this song on Introducing Morrissey is superb, full of emotions, especially when he sings, don't rake up my mistake, I know exactly what they are, very moving watching him sing it. I love this song, :guitar:

and Alain's backing vocals are beeeeeaaaauuuutiful!

Back
Top Bottom