why hasn't morrissey toured africa?

I don't really know what you mean.
Do you find the puns offensive or are you disturbed by them because they are not politically correct?

I mean both. I'm disturbed by them and find them (and most of the content on page 1&2 as well) offensive because they rely on ignorance and a sense of unwillingness to learn about worlds beyond EU&US. That is, if it wasn't for this ignorance and closemindedness most of the puns wouldn't work. There's a fine line between rude and black humour and humour that lives off- and perpetuates prejudice.

I mean both. I'm disturbed by them and find them (and most of the content on page 1&2 as well) offensive because they rely on ignorance and a sense of unwillingness to learn about worlds beyond EU&US. That is, if it wasn't for this ignorance and closemindedness most of the puns wouldn't work. There's a fine line between rude and black humour and humour that lives off- and perpetuates prejudice.

You get that from the likes of "Swahili Pie?"

Interesting.

I don't really know what you mean.
Do you find the puns offensive or are you disturbed by them because they are not politically correct?

Some of the puns are funny. Some are based on stereotypes and I find that uncomfortable.

I think it would be better to discuss why than dismiss the challenge with the attribution "politically correct". It is too often used as a prejudicial term, to dismiss or ridicule a legitimate question. There are different types of humour, and the intention behind them is not always easy to see, as Andrew Collins' friend found out.

At bar trivia last night one of the bonus questions was name the four largest countries in Africa. This thread did not help me one bit. :p I was yelling out to my team "Somalia" "That's tiny." "Malawi!" "Tiny" "Sudan!" "Okay maybe." :rolleyes: We still won though.

Some of the puns are funny. Some are based on stereotypes and I find that uncomfortable.

I think it would be better to discuss why than dismiss the challenge with the attribution "politically correct". It is too often used as a prejudicial term, to dismiss or ridicule a legitimate question. There are different types of humour, and the intention behind them is not always easy to see, as Andrew Collins' friend found out.

What if we were creating puns about rednecks and farmers?
Would that be funny?

At bar trivia last night one of the bonus questions was name the four largest countries in Africa. This thread did not help me one bit. :p I was yelling out to my team "Somalia" "That's tiny." "Malawi!" "Tiny" "Sudan!" "Okay maybe." :rolleyes: We still won though.

:thumb:

What if we were creating puns about rednecks and farmers?
Would that be funny?

Agree troubleluvsme
There is a similar thread where Morrissey song titles are turned into Xmas themes and one where they are turned into curry themes. What is the difference?
How can 'Bengali in Platforms', turned into 'Tunisian In Platforms' be offensive or stereotyping. If you accept the former then how can you dismiss the latter? It's just taking the piss.

There was only one post, when someone mentioned 'aids' that I was uncomfortable with, other than that, it was just puns on Morrissey songs.

Jukebox Jury

We don't all have the same sense of humour...some don't have a sense of humour at all, apparently. The thing is that if something isn't funny to you then it doesn't mean that it's not funny. Neither did any of us who made up some puns mean any harm, nor are we ignorant or uneducated, we just have a certain type of humour and that will have to be accepted.

We don't all have the same sense of humour...some don't have a sense of humour at all, apparently. The thing is that if something isn't funny to you then it doesn't mean that it's not funny. Neither did any of us who made up some puns mean any harm, nor are we ignorant or uneducated, we just have a certain type of humour and that will have to be accepted.

:clap::clap:

Jukebox Jury

Apart from that, if we were totally ignorant, how would we even know about Mugabe, Swahili etc.? That we know certain stereotypes about Africa doesn't mean that we don't know about anything else that's happening there or that we don't know that some of the sterotypes might be pure bullshit.
But the stereotypes exist and we all know them, so it's better to make some harmless jokes out of them than to believe in them.

Apart from that, if we were totally ignorant, how would we even know about Mugabe, Swahili etc.? That we know certain stereotypes about Africa doesn't mean that we don't know about anything else that's happening there or that we don't know that some of the sterotypes might be pure bullshit.
But the stereotypes exist and we all know them, so it's better to make some harmless jokes out of them than to believe in them.

Someone told me Morrissey is going to sing at the opening of the World Cup in South Africa. The song he will sing is a cover of the "little known" B-side of th Spitting Image number one 1986 single Chicken Song;

(I've Never Met) A Nice South African

I've travelled this whole world of ours from Barnsley to Peru
I've had sunstroke in the Arctic and a swim in Timbuktu
I've seen unicorns in Burma and a Yeti in Nepal
And I've danced with ten-foot pygmies in a Montezuma hall
I've met the King of China
And a working Yorkshire miner
But I've never met a nice South African

No, he's never met a nice South African
And that's not bloody surprising, man
'Cos we're a bunch of arrogant bastards
Who hate black people.

I once got served in Woolies after less than four weeks' wait
I had lunch with Rowan Atkinson when he paid and wasn't late
I know a public swimming bath where they don't p*ss in the pool
I know a guy who got a job straight after leaving school
I've met a normal mOrman
And a fairly modest German

'Cos we're a bunch of talentless murderers
Who smell like baboons.

I've had a close encounter of the twenty-second kind
That's when an alien spaceship disappears up your behind
I've got Directory Enquiries after less than forty rings
I've even heard a decent song by Paul McCartney's Wings
I've seen a flying pig
In a quite convincing wig

'Cos we're a bunch of ignorant loudmouths
With no sense of humour (hah-hah-hah).

I've met the Loch Ness Monster and he looks like Fred Astaire
At the BBC in London he's the chief commissionaire
I know a place in Glasgow which is bright with daffodillies
I met a man in Katmandu who claimed to have two willies
I've had a nice Pot Noodle
But I've never had a poodle
And I've never met a nice South African

Because we've never met one either
Except for Breyten Breytenbach
And he's emigrated to Paris.

Yes, he's quite a nice South African
And he's hardly ever killed anyone
And he's not smelly at all
That's why they put him in prison.

--------------------------------------
He will then proceed to take a penalty after his voal performance a la Diana Ross but score with a 90mph piledriver and be named as a last minute replacement for David Beckham in the England squad, coming on as a substitute in the last minute of the quarter final against Portugal/Argentina/Germany (last 16 then) and when the game goes to penalties will miss the decisive spotkick (obviously)

The experiences will then form the basis of his new album; Out of Africa and Morrissey's self-persecution complex will be at its nadir.
"England still hates me (and that Swedish referee)" is muted as the first single.

:thumb: Well done.

I'd like to assemble a pub quiz team of 'soloists.' Unfortunately, I doubt many of you would be seen dead with me...

Jukebox Jury

Someone told me Morrissey is going to sing at the opening of the World Cup in South Africa. The song he will sing is a cover of the "little known" B-side of th Spitting Image number one 1986 single Chicken Song;

(I've Never Met) A Nice South African

I've travelled this whole world of ours from Barnsley to Peru
I've had sunstroke in the Arctic and a swim in Timbuktu
I've seen unicorns in Burma and a Yeti in Nepal
And I've danced with ten-foot pygmies in a Montezuma hall
I've met the King of China
And a working Yorkshire miner

'Cos we're a bunch of arrogant bastards
Who hate black people.

I once got served in Woolies after less than four weeks' wait
I had lunch with Rowan Atkinson when he paid and wasn't late
I know a public swimming bath where they don't p*ss in the pool
I know a guy who got a job straight after leaving school
I've met a normal mOrman
And a fairly modest German

'Cos we're a bunch of talentless murderers
Who smell like baboons.

I've had a close encounter of the twenty-second kind
That's when an alien spaceship disappears up your behind
I've got Directory Enquiries after less than forty rings
I've even heard a decent song by Paul McCartney's Wings
I've seen a flying pig
In a quite convincing wig

'Cos we're a bunch of ignorant loudmouths
With no sense of humour (hah-hah-hah).

I've met the Loch Ness Monster and he looks like Fred Astaire
At the BBC in London he's the chief commissionaire
I know a place in Glasgow which is bright with daffodillies
I met a man in Katmandu who claimed to have two willies
I've had a nice Pot Noodle
But I've never had a poodle
And I've never met a nice South African

Because we've never met one either
Except for Breyten Breytenbach
And he's emigrated to Paris.

Yes, he's quite a nice South African
And he's hardly ever killed anyone
And he's not smelly at all
That's why they put him in prison.

--------------------------------------
He will then proceed to take a penalty after his voal performance a la Diana Ross but score with a 90mph piledriver and be named as a last minute replacement for David Beckham in the England squad, coming on as a substitute in the last minute of the quarter final against Portugal/Argentina/Germany (last 16 then) and when the game goes to penalties will miss the decisive spotkick (obviously)

The experiences will then form the basis of his new album; Out of Africa and Morrissey's self-persecution complex will be at its nadir.
"England still hates me (and that Swedish referee)" is muted as the first single.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done.
Took someome two days to come up with two artists that played two gigs outside South Africa.....
I rest my case M'lud

Jukebox Jury

There's a LOT more.It's not that difficult to put a show on in Africa.
Now,whether Morrissey wants to do a show where he little or no fan base is another question.

Back
Top Bottom