Why Hop Farm will be a much bigger success for Moz than Glasto...

Maurice E

- he's got the sunset slot (always a much better atmosphere)
- he's headlining so there won't be 12,000 bored U2 fans waiting for him to get off
- as headliner he'll be able to do a longer set - yes, the full 75 mins!
- the pressure's off, no live TV as at Glasto
- no bad memories as with his last (2004) Glasto performance when he moaned the whole way though
- no massive bands being announced at the last minute on a rival stage (as with the frankly dire Radiohead tonight)

still, in an interview today, Eavis claims that Moz was 'very keen' to perform this year. he also says they wanted Kanye West but couldn't get him so asked Moz!

if Moz sticks to the best known songs (oh mother, there is a light, every day is, paris, this charming, alma etc) on the current setlist, I reckon he could still go down really well.

good luck, Moz!

Salient points one and all (apart from your opinion on Radiohead) but Glastonbury is what will get him a record deal and exposure not some festival for pensioners that is struggling to shift any tickets, hence reducing its prices.

Depends on what your definition of success is...

I wish him the best of luck though, at least its raining.

Oh I nearly forgot; he is meeting Joey Barton and you never know Wayne and Colleen may grant him an audience too.

"oh mother, there is a light, every day is, paris, this charming, alma etc"

Is that one of the new songs that sounds like some of the old songs?

well, I think my predictions were pretty much spot on.
the change in atmosphere between his daylight show and U2 on at sunset/night-time was huge, and it proved a challenge for the camera man to spot anyone singing along, apart from in TIALTNGO.
it's cool that Morrissey does the UK festivals these days but he really needs to be last on the bill so that he's singing to people who aren't just hanging around for the next act (as also happened in 2004 when he was on before Muse).
he'd be much better off headlining the 'other' stage than being 2nd or 3rd on the Pyramid.
anyway, I'm gonna try and get along to Hop Farm. reckon it'll be a fantastic show - a massive improvement on tonight. bring it on!

Moz did his thing. The Glasto crowd seemed appreciative. Gop Farm will be the same (I'll be there)......it wont be any more fantastic......it will just be what it is.

As for U2?

The line up for Hop Farm (for me at least) promises a very entertaining day. Apart from Brother and Newton Faulkner, that main stage line up should see me right.

- he's got the sunset slot (always a much better atmosphere)
- he's headlining so there won't be 12,000 bored U2 fans waiting for him to get off
- as headliner he'll be able to do a longer set - yes, the full 75 mins!
- the pressure's off, no live TV as at Glasto
- no bad memories as with his last (2004) Glasto performance when he moaned the whole way though
- no massive bands being announced at the last minute on a rival stage (as with the frankly dire Radiohead tonight)

still, in an interview today, Eavis claims that Moz was 'very keen' to perform this year. he also says they wanted Kanye West but couldn't get him so asked Moz!

if Moz sticks to the best known songs (oh mother, there is a light, every day is, paris, this charming, alma etc) on the current setlist, I reckon he could still go down really well.

good luck, Moz!

plus there are many his fave artists on the running order that day
i wonder how much of an influence he had on it?or it coincidence?

When is this slot? I can't seem to find the times..

Well he's top billing and the music curfew on the main stage is 11pm. Their twitter account has just responded to a question in relation to times and they have said "all bands will finish at 11pm". So if we are to take this on face value, a 75 minute set would have him taking to the stage at about 9.45pm. Personally, I think he might be on a tad sooner?

Yes, I thought about 9 perhaps? I'll probably arrive at 12 anyway! Haha, don't want to miss a thing!

Well he's top billing and the music curfew on the main stage is 11pm. Their twitter account has just responded to a question in relation to times and they have said "all bands will finish at 11pm". So if we are to take this on face value, a 75 minute set would have him taking to the stage at about 9.45pm. Personally, I think he might be on a tad sooner?

Thank you, by the way!

Salient points one and all (apart from your opinion on Radiohead) but Glastonbury is what will get him a record deal and exposure not some festival for pensioners that is struggling to shift any tickets, hence reducing its prices.

Depends on what your definition of success is...

I wish him the best of luck though, at least its raining.

Oh I nearly forgot; he is meeting Joey Barton and you never know Wayne and Colleen may grant him an audience too.
:straightface:

plus there are many his fave artists on the running order that day
i wonder how much of an influence he had on it?or it coincidence?

It can't be coincidence. He would have at the very least requested some if not all of them. Like when he did Wireless a few years ago, he had a load of his favourites there too.

I wasn't at Glastonbury but I wouldn't be surprised if he is better at Hop Farm in some ways given that a lot of people there will be his own fans. Not all of course, as some will be there for the whole weekend, but for me he has never seemed quite as comfortable when playing to 'someone else's' audience. He doesn't say as much for a start and seems to take the position that people don't want to be there (even though, even if they are not exclusively Morrissey fans) they clearly do.

Well, Morrissey at Hop Farm was absolutely flipping brilliant... as predicted by a certain Mr E! Approximately 63.8 million times better than Glastonbury (for all the obvious reasons).
I've seen him live 20-30 times and this was definitely top 3, maybe even the best.
Only disappointment was that he didn't play Oh Mother but I think he wanted to focus more on the upbeat crowd-pleasers (except MIM of course).
Am I right in thinking that this is the first tour he's ever played Ouija Board?
I remember when the single was released - the first time he ever attracted mass ridicule from the music press. Here we are, 21 years on, and the song finally earns its place in the live set.
In my deluded fantasy world, it's a condition that Street has laid down for providing him with some songs for the new album. "Yes Moz, I will gladly supply you with another selection of genius pop songs, but first you must play Ouija Board live!"

Am I right in thinking that this is the first tour he's ever played Ouija Board?
I was pretty certain I'd heard it live. A check on passionsjustlikemine.com shows it's been performed 22 (before this tour) times, all apparently coming on the 1999-2000 tour.

John Piennaar on radio 5 right now discussing the Hop Farm Festival - the played Moz doing Action Is My Middle Name. There's an earnest discussion about the music.

P.

I remember when the single was released - the first time he ever attracted mass ridicule from the music press. Here we are, 21 years on, and the song finally earns its place in the live set.

I was pretty certain I'd heard it live. A check on passionsjustlikemine.com shows it's been performed 22 (before this tour) times, all apparently coming on the 1999-2000 tour.

Here it is, from 2000...and sounding much better than it does today.

Last edited by a moderator:
I completely forgot about his mullet/west ham phase! He was certainly ahead of his time with the whole reinvention of the neck warmer.. Or was he just late from the first time around? Most probably the latter, the quiff was from the 1950's. :D

Thanks for this. He obviously changed the setlist from the UK dates in the earlier part of the tour (99) as he defo did not play Ouija Board when I saw him in London and Aylesbury.
I think the band played the intro to Ouija on an earlier tour (92?) tho but it just led into another song.
Never seen a Ouija Board live clip on You Tube. It's an interesting version but it sounds a mess. Trying to play the synth-harpsichord line on a guitar just doesn't work.

It's an interesting version but it sounds a mess. Trying to play the synth-harpsichord line on a guitar just doesn't work.

It would have been great if Morrissey had Mikey Farrell back then...I think minus Deano, the 'Who Put The 'M' in Manchester' line-up was his absolute best solo backing band.

Back
Top Bottom