Why Morrissey wants to die alone

I probably shouldn't comment on a thread with this title, bit I've been thinking about this quite a bit lately (what fan hasn't?).

Morrissey revels in the fact that he's a thoroughly unpleasant person; he talks about it in interviews, he writes and sings songs about it, and I take him at his word that he's unfit for human cohabitation.

It's his alienation that still draws me in: in The Smiths era he was so incandescent, so new, so charming, clever and talented, so full of the vigor of youth that his extreme self-possession came across as a celebration.

As his solo career went on he was still so ridiculously beautiful, his lyrics were still so devastating, his voice so rich, his demeanor so intense that he continued to seduce. The image of a man alive only on the stage, dependent on an audience from which he's completely alienated created a tension that few pop stars could match.

During his "comeback" it was his audacity that kept things going: his refusal to give up, his confidence in his own genius, the fact that he improbably managed to remain "Morrissey" even after all those years; it took my breath away.

But, as Emerson noted: "Every hero becomes a bore at last." Age has a way of stripping away pretense and illusion. The mask starts to slip. I think it's for this reason that most performers mellow publicly: they become tearful and express gratitude, they become sentimental and indulge in a sense of warm nostalgia.

Not Morrissey, no sir; he's still swinging for the fence, he's still alienating his fans, and the media, and his live audiences, and entire nations, and he's not going to change his ways because he wasn't kidding, his alienation wasn't a youthful pose or an artful conceit. He's still out there on the edge; he's pop music's most successful target.

Morrissey seems well on the way to ending up as the music world's loneliest icon; that's quite an accomplishment.

Its a romantic idea a man in search of his own down fall BUT this is not true. Moz likes the "oh, poor me", "man against the world" element of having no label BUT he knows he needs one (I think). Morrissey would like to be number one because he has never had one, which is remarkable really. Also, Morrissey also championed the idea of intelligent popular song, he isn't a snob (in that sense). He isn't against Madonna because of her fame he is against her because of how she got it what she done with it.
As for this site keeping him alive- speak for yourself. Moz was doing quite well thank you very much.
Morrissey has been getting himself in trouble since the early days, its nothing new. The reason he is forgiven is because his motivation is the key, he isn't a M Manson, Maddona, type. He isn't using cheap shock tactics. He is saying how he feels. I agree with what he said about Norway and a lot of veggie (and Buddhist) people would also.

The Morrissey act was and wasn't an act... the bit that was hasn't "slipped" He throw it away.
Do you really think he is lonely?
Morrissey mentioned in interviews in The Smiths days he was bitter, to a degree ( I always thought, that was obvious) this again is nothing new....
I also disagree that Morrissey revels in the fact he is an unpleasant person

Its a romantic idea a man in search of his own down fall BUT this is not true. Moz likes the "oh, poor me", "man against the world" element of having no label BUT he knows he needs one (I think). Morrissey would like to be number one because he has never had one, which is remarkable really. Also, Morrissey also championed the idea of intelligent popular song, he isn't a snob (in that sense). He isn't against Madonna because of her fame he is against her because of how she got it what she done with it.
As for this site keeping him alive- speak for yourself. Moz was doing quite well thank you very much.
Morrissey has been getting himself in trouble since the early days, its nothing new. The reason he is forgiven is because his motivation is the key, he isn't a M Manson, Maddona, type. He isn't using cheap shock tactics. He is saying how he feels. I agree with what he said about Norway and a lot of veggie (and Buddhist) people would also.

The Morrissey act was and wasn't an act... the bit that was hasn't "slipped" He throw it away.
Morrissey mentioned in interviews in The Smiths days he was bitter, to a degree ( I always thought, that was obvious) this again is nothing new....

I whole heartedly disagree with that statement. There are many times he says thing to provoke controversy and get his name out there.

I whole heartedly disagree with that statement. There are many times he says thing to provoke controversy and get his name out there.

How do you know what his motive is, please? He doesn't really care about the slaughter of animals?

As for provoking controversy, it can be quite a good thing obviously, such as when apathy over a crime is the issue. It bothers you in this case because the concept that the crime is indeed a crime--one comparable to a certain other crime, at least--bothers you. You are simply complaining that you have had to hear something which rankles your prejudices--of which you seem immensely proud.

^^^This^^^

P.

It's no surprised you've latched onto this. It's a convenient talking point for a man--or a mod--in your position: "He doesn't mean it." Judging from the body of his work, however, he does mean it; he's been meaning it for a hell of a long time; and your inability to deal with it is about you, not about him.

Have fun at the next show you attend. If you can relax.

How do you know what his motive is, please? He doesn't really care about the slaughter of animals?

As for provoking controversy, it can be quite a good thing obviously, such as when apathy over a crime is the issue. It bothers you in this case because the concept that the crime is indeed a crime--one comparable to a certain other crime, at least--bothers you. You are simply complaining that you have had to hear something which rankles your prejudices--of which you seem immensely proud.

It's no surprised you've latched onto this. It's a convenient talking point for a man--or a mod--in your position: "He doesn't mean it." Judging from the body of his work, however, he does mean it; he's been meaning it for a hell of a long time; and your inability to deal with it is about you, not about him.

Thanks for telling me that my opinions mean shit. Bless you.

P.

I think you're forgetting the context of this entire event. It was a few words spoken at a small live concert way across in eastern Europe in front of a few hundred people. 10 to 15 years ago, no-one else would have ever been any the wiser. Foolishly perhaps (in this age of instant communication) he had no idea it would be seized upon so readily by the world's media.

It pisses Morrissey off to see humans mourn other humans? Sorry but this is absolute nonsense. If it was the case, why describe the killings as 'horrific', and media frenzy handing fame and notoriety to the mass murderer as 'repulsive'?

Your comments would be understandable if a) Morrissey's off-the-cuff words in a Warsaw concert had been a carefully-worded statement published on True to You (or wherever) and b) he hadn't reacted to the furore by making a statement condemning the actions of the murderer. Neither of these is the case.

:clap:

Last edited:

All I stated was:

I even highlighted the segment that you wrote concerning "controversy" so that you would know exactly what I was referring to. Try to pay attention dear. Believe me, there is nothing that the veggies say that "rankle" what you believe are "prejudices." By the way cupcake, dinner involves a nice grilled chicken sandwich in your honor. (Literally- I will light the grill soon.)

cluck cluck... SQWAAAAA!!!

:confused:

I think you are answering someone else's post. At no point did I mention Morrissey wanting a number 1 hit, his ability to find a record label, Madonna or Morrissey-Solo.

As for Morrissey getting himself in trouble: I know, I remember, I was there. Mr. Anaesthesine and I were just listening to "The Smiths" and recalling how much folks immediately loathed Morrissey, how he got in trouble for his lyrics from the get-go, and how we've always found him a bit irritating ourselves (but we love the old man, we do). :D

As for what Morrissey said about Norway, I understood completely because I've been an animal welfare supporter from the get-go. Isaac Bashevis Singer is one of my philosophical heroes; he's the Jewish writer who lost family and friends in the Nazi death camps, and who famously declared: "for the animals, it is an eternal Treblinka." So true. I've gone on about this subject for too many years here, and I feel no need to address it further. Suffice it to say that I agree with Morrissey's sentiment concerning human cruelty on a global, industrial scale, but disagree strongly with his choice of words. It showed a complete lack of tact, and did more harm that good. There were so many ways he could have handled that intro with real class, but he blew it.

I think he's slipping. He may have decided to throw away some sort of pretense, but he's slipping live. Of course, there are still nights when he's electrifying, when he can reach that "Morrissey" place, but age takes it out of everyone, and Morrissey is no exception.

As for being lonely: fame is corrosive - it makes you paranoid, and it alienates you from normalcy. There's no doubt about it. Morrissey's brand of fame is particularly alienating; he's been worshipped and adored on a level that is very, very rare and intense, and I'd be surprised if he wasn't a bit lonely. Just look at all the folks who have tasted a relatively mild form of fame for a short period of time: they find it difficult to adjust to normalcy afterwards, sometimes it kills them. The pressures of adoration, notoriety, adulation and the sky-high expectations of a generation is a psychic burden that few "normal" people could handle and come out unscathed. For someone with Morrissey's obvious sensitivities, it must be life-altering in a way that few can imagine. The love of fans is gratifying, but it's peripheral (if you're smart). It's the love and support of family and friends that carries you through. Morrissey has that, but he's still a singularly singular figure.

Everything that we say online about a celebrity is, of course, conjecture, and it's always good to remind oneself that we cannot know for sure whether we're anywhere near the mark. Morrissey strikes me as someone who has always been uneasy with himself (who hasn't?), who pens peans to his own unpleasantness in an effort to express some of that unease. He's also reveled in his ability to cause unease in others from day one. That's an important part of his art, and I truly believe that he finds it gratifying.

A friend of mine once said "no one does bitter well." Morrissey comes as close as anyone ever could.

Last edited:
:confused:

I think you are answering someone else's post. At no point did I mention Morrissey wanting a number 1 hit, his ability to find a record label, Madonna or Morrissey-Solo.

As for Morrissey getting himself in trouble: I know, I remember, I was there. Mr. Anaesthesine and I were just listening to "The Smiths" and recalling how much folks immediately loathed Morrissey, how he got in trouble for his lyrics from the get-go, and how we've always found him a bit irritating ourselves (but we love the old man, we do). :D

As for what Morrissey said about Norway, I understood completely because I've been an animal welfare supporter from the get-go. Isaac Bashevis Singer is one of my philosophical heroes; he's the Jewish writer who lost family and friends in the Nazi death camps, and who famously declared: "for the animals, it is an eternal Treblinka." So true. I've gone on about this subject for too many years here, and I feel no need to address it further. Suffice it to say that I agree with Morrissey's sentiment concerning human cruelty on a global, industrial scale, but disagree strongly with his choice of words. It showed a complete lack of tact, and did more harm that good. There were so many ways he could have handled that intro with real class, but he blew it.

I think he's slipping. He may have decided to throw away some sort of pretense, but he's slipping live. Of course, there are still nights when he's electrifying, when he can reach that "Morrissey" place, but age takes it out of everyone, and Morrissey is no exception.

As for being lonely: fame is corrosive - it makes you paranoid, and it alienates you from normalcy. There's no doubt about it. Morrissey's brand of fame is particularly alienating; he's been worshipped and adored on a level that is very, very rare and intense, and I'd be surprised if he wasn't a bit lonely. Just look at all the folks who have tasted a relatively mild form of fame for a short period of time: they find it difficult to adjust to normalcy afterwards, sometimes it kills them. The pressures of adoration, notoriety, adulation and the sky-high expectations of a generation is a psychic burden that few "normal" people could handle and come out unscathed. For someone with Morrissey's obvious sensitivities, it must be life-altering in a way that few can imagine. The love of fans is gratifying, but it's peripheral (if you're smart). It's the love and support of family and friends that carries you through. Morrissey has that, but he's still a singularly singular figure.

Everything that we say online about a celebrity is, of course, conjecture, and it's always good to remind oneself that we cannot know for sure whether we're anywhere near the mark. Morrissey strikes me as someone who has always been uneasy with himself (who hasn't?), who pens peans to his own unpleasantness in an effort to express some of that unease. He's also reveled in his ability to cause unease in others from day one. That's an important part of his art, and I truly believe that he finds it gratifying.

A friend of mine once said "no one does bitter well." Morrissey comes as close as anyone ever could.

Thank God for posts like this. Some balance, some genuine intelligence and real thoughtfulness, in the midst of all this ‘Morrissey thinks chickens are more important than humans’ drivel.

The insensitivity of his remark (and, by Christ, its timing was extremely insensitive) only serves to emphasise the utter horror he feels when faced with the knowledge that every day millions of animals are slaughtered (2.4 million in the UK alone) in order to feed the whim of our taste buds. Their suffering is unimaginable and transpires for no other reason than their dead flesh tastes good when burned.

His ‘utter horror’ is amplified by the knowledge that most people don’t care one iota for the suffering of animals. Most people see animals as inchoate food, a kind of mid-point in the production process. Most people think the whole thing is a bit of a joke (the “just wipe its ass and throw it on the plate” mentality).

To Morrissey, the daily animal holocaust (a burnt offering to the human palate) is a horror without equal. The events in Norway 'were horrific', but the animal holocaust continues to grind out meat in immeasureable quantities and only a small number of people seem to give anything even remotely approaching a flying f***.

I think Morrissey’s animal welfare agenda is going to come to the fore with increasing regularity in the months and years to come. I think he will be more than willing to alienate potential and existing fans as he drives his point home. This won’t be the last time he causes offence. Will he destroy his career in the process? It’s possible. But I don’t think he’ll miss it all that much. When all’s said and done, he’ll be happier running a donkey sanctuary in Clitheroe.

Has Morrissey caused offence? Of course he has. I expect no less. But as the comedian Steve Hughes once said, “Well, so what? Be offended. Nothing happens.”

I liked your post until that last sentence, which was completely unnecessary. Just because Morrissey comports himself like a thoughtless oaf doesn't make it right for anyone else to do so.

Applying his own ethos to himself seems like a pretty reasoned way of making a point to me, particularly when the whole point of my post was to show on a personal level how inhumane his attitudes are. Morrissey has stated that he finds the murdered relatives and friends of Norwegians on the same level of importance as a few bargain buckets. I'm interested to know if that philosophy extends to his own immediate family.

I think you're forgetting the context of this entire event. It was a few words spoken at a small live concert way across in eastern Europe in front of a few hundred people. 10 to 15 years ago, no-one else would have ever been any the wiser. Foolishly perhaps (in this age of instant communication) he had no idea it would be seized upon so readily by the world's media.

If you believe for one second that Morrissey didn't know those comments would be YouTubed, bootlegged, message boarded and media reported, you must be very naive. Has he never done anything like this before? Do you think public figures make controversial public statements because they want their opinions kept on the down-low? Do you think Bradford was the location for the f*** Morrissey-Solo t-shirts for any special reason, or do you think he knew everyone would find out about it regardless of what city he was in? Come on now, let's be real.

Last edited:
All I stated was:

You stated that Morrissey's motivation was "to provoke controversy and get his name out there." You said this as if the former were necessarily a bad thing, and as if the latter weren't an inevitable result of the former. In your muddled way, you seemed to be implying that he merely wanted publicity. I asked how you knew this. You haven't answered.

I even highlighted the segment that you wrote concerning "controversy" so that you would know exactly what I was referring to.

You haven't highlighted any segment of anything I've written. You highlighted a portion of a post by murder and desire that used the phrase "cheap shock tactics."

Try to pay attention dear.

Indeed.

Incidentally, I assume you're calling me "dear" and "cupcake" because you believe I'm using a feminine name? Old-school sexism is tough but naughty, like your other stock opinions! (But actually I have a penis. "Lesbian Liberation" was the motto on a pin that a young Morrissey once wore.) Since nine-tenths of your act consists of calling Morrissey "an ass," though, you might try to be less of one yourself. Else you may be accused of hypocrisy by someone who thinks you might care. I know better.

Believe me, there is nothing that the veggies say that "rankle" what you believe are "prejudices."

I would certainly have to "believe" you, rather than being convinced by you, since you once again are above offering arguments.

By the way cupcake, dinner involves a nice grilled chicken sandwich in your honor. (Literally- I will light the grill soon.)

cluck cluck... SQWAAAAA!!!

Edgy! I suspect you'd be trying to hail a cab within ten minutes of finding yourself expected to slaughter any animal yourself, of course. And blogging about it via your iPhone.

Applying his own ethos to himself seems like a pretty reasoned way of making a point to me, particularly when the whole point of my post was to show on a personal level how inhumane his attitudes are. Morrissey has stated that he finds the murdered relatives and friends of Norwegians on the same level of importance as a few bargain buckets. I'm interested to know if that philosophy extends to his own immediate family.
True. I got your point.

If you believe for one second that Morrissey didn't know those comments would be YouTubed, bootlegged, message boarded and media reported, you must be very naive. Has he never done anything like this before? Do you think public figures make controversial public statements because they want their opinions kept on the down-low? Do you think Bradford was the location for the f*** Morrissey-Solo t-shirts for any special reason, or do you think he knew everyone would find out about it regardless of what city he was in? Come on now, let's be real.
GOT 'EM!!

You stated that Morrissey's motivation was "to provoke controversy and get his name out there." You said this as if the former were necessarily a bad thing, and as if the latter weren't an inevitable result of the former. In your muddled way, you seemed to be implying that he merely wanted publicity. I asked how you knew this. You haven't answered.
How do you not? What is the expression? Any publicity is good publicity as it keeps the name out there. No record deal, albums that do not meet personal expectations... keeping the name out there is essential right now. In a way, I am giving him the benefit of the doubt because I cannot believe that he is this stupid. In a way I want to believe that this is partially some stunt to gain some attention for himself.

You haven't highlighted any segment of anything I've written. You highlighted a portion of a post by murder and desire that used the phrase "cheap shock tactics."
Correct - my mistake.

Incidentally, I assume you're calling me "dear" and "cupcake" because you believe I'm using a feminine name? Old-school sexism is tough but naughty, like your other stock opinions! (But actually I have a penis. "Lesbian Liberation" was the motto on a pin that a young Morrissey once wore.) Since nine-tenths of your act consists of calling Morrissey "an ass," though, you might try to be less of one yourself. Else you may be accused of hypocrisy by someone who thinks you might care. I know better.
I call you dear and cupcake there sweet cheeks because it is derogatory. It compliments the tone that you yourself take. To tell the truth, I thought you were of the male gender already. In fact I had a suspicion that you are someone that has been here before posting under another name. But I could be wrong about this as three people I thought you could be usually write in a different tone. However, you will still be nothing more than "cupcake" to me.

I would certainly have to "believe" you, rather than being convinced by you, since you once again are above offering arguments.
I do not owe YOU or need to offer YOU anything. You have your belief system. I have mine.

Edgy! I suspect you'd be trying to hail a cab within ten minutes of finding yourself expected to slaughter any animal yourself, of course. And blogging about it via your iPhone.
If it makes you feel better, I have cut off the heads of fish, deboned and filleted them and enjoyed a wonderful meal. Also, a couple of weekends ago... crabbing. Lovely experience. Trap em, throw them in boiling water... enjoy.

Couple of years ago, I can say that I attended the slaughter of my own pig. We went to this place where you picked out your pig. They kill it in front of you and wrap it up and then we took it for a big old pig roast. Incidentally, Bourdain is right. Pig cheek is delicious.

BTW - You have no idea what I blog about with my iPhone. You may only know the tip of the iceberg.

Last edited:
Thank God for posts like this. Some balance, some genuine intelligence and real thoughtfulness, in the midst of all this ‘Morrissey thinks chickens are more important than humans’ drivel.

The insensitivity of his remark (and, by Christ, its timing was extremely insensitive) only serves to emphasise the utter horror he feels when faced with the knowledge that every day millions of animals are slaughtered (2.4 million in the UK alone) in order to feed the whim of our taste buds. Their suffering is unimaginable and transpires for no other reason than their dead flesh tastes good when burned.

His ‘utter horror’ is amplified by the knowledge that most people don’t care one iota for the suffering of animals. Most people see animals as inchoate food, a kind of mid-point in the production process. Most people think the whole thing is a bit of a joke (the “just wipe its ass and throw it on the plate” mentality).

To Morrissey, the daily animal holocaust (a burnt offering to the human palate) is a horror without equal. The events in Norway 'were horrific', but the animal holocaust continues to grind out meat in immeasureable quantities and only a small number of people seem to give anything even remotely approaching a flying f***.

I think Morrissey’s animal welfare agenda is going to come to the fore with increasing regularity in the months and years to come. I think he will be more than willing to alienate potential and existing fans as he drives his point home. This won’t be the last time he causes offence. Will he destroy his career in the process? It’s possible. But I don’t think he’ll miss it all that much. When all’s said and done, he’ll be happier running a donkey sanctuary in Clitheroe.

Has Morrissey caused offence? Of course he has. I expect no less. But as the comedian Steve Hughes once said, “Well, so what? Be offended. Nothing happens.”

Thanks for the kind words. :)

I agree, it feels like Morrissey is going to keep going in this direction, vocally pushing the cause of animal rights. What worries me is that he may be counter-productive at this point, which is somewhat disastrous. "Meat is Murder" has always been one of my favorite pop-cultural moments; I knew, the moment I heard it, that it was a game-changer. Morrissey won hearts and minds gently and (in some cases) irrevocably. That is how you fight for a cause.

I've always been amazed at folks like Jane Goodall, who have managed to maintain a hopeful, positive outlook in the face of unspeakable horror. Somehow she manages to address issues like bushmeat with a constructive, dignified grace. Morrissey, not so much.

Back to the topic of this thread: you're never alone in the company of critters. "Morrissey's Home for Battered Beasts" - it has a certain ring to it...

'Q' ~ January 1995:

What is your most unpleasant characteristic?

"Unlimited self-sabotage, morbid self-revelation, deadly accurate intuition, barriers of reserve."

Man, know thyself...

Back to the topic of this thread: you're never alone in the company of critters. "Morrissey's Home for Battered Beasts" - it has a certain ring to it...

I'd advise against calling it that. Some people may think it's a fried chicken joint.

Although I'm glad that Morrissey seems to have remained interested in animal rights, I do wish he'd be sensible about his statements, because nonsense like this does not help. He speaks his piece and gets into his air conditioned limo and beetles off while the poor saps who do ongoing public outreach get kicked, spat upon, and verbally abused because members of the public have been riled by statements like his. If you're going to say something this incendiary, then grow a spine and stay around and answer questions. Take full responsibility.

Tags
morrissey-solo norway
Back
Top Bottom