Why The Static Setlist?

headlongintoharm

In your opinion, why has Moz kept the setlist so static through this first part of the tour?

We all know that the song selection on any given night or tour is all about the songs that he feels are speaking to him at the moment or just the ones he feels like performing. It seems like on past tours there has been at least a bit more night-to-night variety in the set, and recently it's been almost exactly the same.

I'm curious as to your opinions on why he's kept it virtually the same up to this point through the tour.

Possibly the current band members line-up is also influence the choice of the setlist?

it has got a little static, although as long as he changes a few songs in the U.K, i'll be happy

Has it really been more steady than other tours he's done? I don't think so. There are a few part timers that have been played here and there. It's not like he usually makes drastic changes nightly.

In your opinion, why has Moz kept the setlist so static through this first part of the tour?

We all know that the song selection on any given night or tour is all about the songs that he feels are speaking to him at the moment or just the ones he feels like performing. It seems like on past tours there has been at least a bit more night-to-night variety in the set, and recently it's been almost exactly the same.

I'm curious as to your opinions on why he's kept it virtually the same up to this point through the tour.

I just hope he does "Seasick" in Dallas next Friday - I ask for nothing more than that!

hmmmm

Pity people are hijacking the thread "I wish he'd play..." .
You can post your request to a poll in mainpage.

Who the f*** knows! I find it tragically disappointing, as my post-show comments have indicated. If the band influences then that would mean they are all content with repetition, and I would believe they are all capable of playing any of the tunes. It also has been the case for many tours although there now appears to be a groundswell of frustration. I would think that he is
megalomaniacal enough to peruse this site and see the dissent, and maybe he is just that and doesn't care. Maybe he thinks his mere presence is enough to satiate the fans, not giving credit to our overwhelming devotion. If you think that the UK leg will be much different then think again. People in NJ said that show was a warm up for NY, which would be better. Outcome - same show.

That said, see you guys at the next one.

Re: hmmmm

Pity people are hijacking the thread "I wish he'd play..." .
You can post your request to a poll in mainpage.

He's referring to a song that is in the set list and just hoping it stays. He isn't requesting a song.
and it isn't a pity.

I wouldn't be surprised if it has a lot to do with Kris Pooley not knowing how to play many songs, let alone play them well.

I wouldn't be surprised if it has a lot to do with Kris Pooley not knowing how to play many songs, let alone play them well.

Has anyone made a comparison with setlist from other tours? Maybe we just get the impression that it's static. I don't play any instruments so I really don't know how it works technically but can you imagine that Moz would play with -erm, how to put it in a polite way- not the most capable musicians?

I'd recommend not reading set lists beforehand and not going to too many gigs.

It'll be much better for the UK shows. He's coming home and can be more relaxed.

He wouldn't want to change things around too much as it might confuse the American's - he's kind like that.

if you compare it to the 2007 NYC residency, he changed the setlist quite a bit for the 5 shows.

This year, it's the same set, give or take 2 songs in the nearly identical order.

surprisingly and frustratingly, the main page poll seems to indicate that most people are pretty pleased with the set list. he really should switch it up soon. i'm considering skipping the concert entirely tonight because my girlfriend and i are ill and it would just be potentially kind of boring :eek:

People! how many tours have you followed? Other than if he does some kind of residence the setlist is generally always the same and then they get changed slightly for each following leg, it has always been like this,in fact it may haveactually improved a little in the last couple of years.
Go read the setlists for the '97 'Maladjusted" Tour, the first leg was basically the same setlist, and then the second leg was a slightly altered setlist,but the same setlist every night, no matter the country or city.
I think it just looks more static this time because he ended the last tour with many songs from YOR and many are back in this tour's setlist, but his setlists have always been static.
You shall see a slight change once this leg is over and he goes on to the next leg.

^ That's what I'm sayin'! :crazy:

Haha they are spoiled! I recall in '97 that not only was it the same setlist every night, but it was also about 6 to 8 songs less than the now usual 20 or so song set.One to two Smiths songs, and 'Ambitious Outsiders" given a play every night.
The only night there was any surprise was when 'The Queen is dead' was played for the one and only time out in California.

This in no way means I condone this current setlist, I am not really that big a fan of it, but static setlists are nothing new.

A lot of the people complaining about the static setlist are the ones that go to many shows one after another and queue up for hours to get in the front row.

Have you thought that maybe Morrissey goes out night after night and thinks "Why the static front row"?

Maybe he's bored with you and thinks the same setlist might put you off so he can see some fresh faces. :D

Tags
selection set setlist song
Back
Top Bottom