Will Johnny Marr's 'Call the Comet' outsell Morrissey's 'Low in High School?'

How many copies do you think Call the Comet will shift in week 1 (UK)?

• Total voters
Musically it's miles ahead. Lyrically, it's neck and neck with LIHS.

Musically for me it's neck and neck. Lyrically, LIHS is miles ahead. Johnny can't sing convincingly, can't craft a vocal melody, can't structure a song, can't create words worth hearing. The music, in the main, is slick and pleasant. I find it the opposite of the Smiths who were so confrontational, so challenging and so anti-establishment. Johnny's in danger of turning into the mainstream's nodding dog; many of the reviews are like a parent congratulating/patronising a small child on their latest painting: "Ooh, didn't he do well!". Every solo Morrissey album is superior to it. The lyrics are sub-Oasis borderline drivel. Johnny could well rename it The Emperor's New Clothes.

Musically for me it's neck and neck. Lyrically, LIHS is miles ahead. Johnny can't sing convincingly, can't craft a vocal melody, can't structure a song, can't create words worth hearing. The music, in the main, is slick and pleasant. I find it the opposite of the Smiths who were so confrontational, so challenging and so anti-establishment. Johnny's in danger of turning into the mainstream's nodding dog; many of the reviews are like a parent congratulating/patronising a small child on their latest painting: "Ooh, didn't he do well!". Every solo Morrissey album is superior to it. The lyrics are sub-Oasis borderline drivel. Johnny could well rename it The Emperor's New Clothes.
We can argue all day, but Morrissey's lyrical Breitbart lite (litebart?) and noncommittal romance by the numbers is dull, ordinary, and boring. Any artist could do it. I do like the humpback whale line though. It's two sides of the same coin at this point, Marr/Moz lyrics. They both say nothing of real value or insight. Morrissey has his voice, but he lost his soul. Johnny has plenty of soul, but is best suited to expressing it through instruments. Morrissey metaphorically eats bugs on the playground for money and thinks it is shocking and people are impressed, but really they're just encouraging him because everyone loves a good shit show.

We can argue all day, but Morrissey's lyrical Breitbart lite (litebart?) and noncommittal romance by the numbers is dull, ordinary, and boring. Any artist could do it. I do like the humpback whale line though. It's two sides of the same coin at this point, Marr/Moz lyrics. They both say nothing of real value or insight. Morrissey has his voice, but he lost his soul. Johnny has plenty of soul, but is best suited to expressing it through instruments. Morrissey metaphorically eats bugs on the playground for money and thinks it is shocking and people are impressed, but really they're just encouraging him because everyone loves a good shit show.

Yes, it's all subjective, of course. And that's music for you. Johnny has soul? Maybe, but nothing on his album moves me in anyway. I find it professional, enjoyable enough, but lacking in emotion and meaning. Any artist can do what Morrissey does? Maybe, but I can't think of any. Certainly, Johnny can't.

g23 you made me laugh with the 'bugs on the playground' comment. But stepping away from the Marr/Moz boxing match for a second... if neither of them have anything interesting to say, who would you say does? That's not a rhetorical question, I'm just curious as to who you think is worth listening to and is putting out records right now. For me there have only ever been three real greats for lyrics, which are Cohen, Dylan and Morrissey. Cohen's dead and last I heard of Dylan he was performing Sinatra covers, so Moz is the only one left!

Yes, it's all subjective, of course. And that's music for you. Johnny has soul? Maybe, but nothing on his album moves me in anyway. I find it professional, enjoyable enough, but lacking in emotion and meaning. Any artist can do what Morrissey does? Maybe, but I can't think of any. Certainly, Johnny can't.
I can't watch the guy play guitar without seeing it. It's obvious that he comes from a place of passion. As for his lyrics, he's said he enjoys a bit of LSD even nowadays, so of course he's going to write metaphysical hippie shit for lyrics. Morrissey seemingly fell in love with his own legend about 10 years back, and any time an artist disappears up themselves, the quality plummets. If you think you're a genius, or a trail blazer, and need to try and tell others about it, chances are those days are behind you.

g23 you made me laugh with the 'bugs on the playground' comment. But stepping away from the Marr/Moz boxing match for a second... if neither of them have anything interesting to say, who would you say does? That's not a rhetorical question, I'm just curious as to who you think is worth listening to and is putting out records right now. For me there have only ever been three real greats for lyrics, which are Cohen, Dylan and Morrissey. Cohen's dead and last I heard of Dylan he was performing Sinatra covers, so Moz is the only one left!
Lyrically? I think the Mountain Goats picked up logically where Morrissey left off. And the guy wrote two good novels, as well. Nick Cave teeters on the edge of insufferability, but so far hasn't swan dived in full stop, but then, I could be being kind to him in light of tragedy. But on paper, his lyrics still hit. They Might Be Giants have some great lyrics, but sonically they aren't everybody's cuppa. Gary Numan s experiencing a late career resurgence, and if you don't mind sci-fi and religious confusion, he has his moments still, but of the old guard, there isn't a lot left.

Newer artists, nobody has lyrically shocked and awed me, but musically, I really like Negative Scanner, Soviet Soviet, Twilight Sad are an exception- great music and lyrics, if overly, well, sad. Kate Tempest is another with great lyrics, but I'm not always in the mood for hip-hop or spoken word.

There's good stuff out there, but it's not being fed to us like it was in the past. The industry doesn't gamble anymore. It's pop, rap, or go f*** yourself.
I like going down youtube rabbit holes, or playing random stuff until something leaps out. I'm always aware of nostalgia and that it's easy to let it grow toxic, and that's why I do make an effort to seek out new music.

For me there have only ever been three real greats for lyrics, which are Cohen, Dylan and Morrissey

They are my three also - I even enjoy Bob doing Sinatra! I still think Morrissey is a great lyricist.

If you think you're a genius, or a trail blazer, and need to try and tell others about it, chances are those days are behind you.

I actually think this is what is happening to Johnny right now.

They are my three also - I even enjoy Bob doing Sinatra! I still think Morrissey is a great lyricist.

I actually think this is what is happening to Johnny right now.
People are blowing a TON of smoke up his ass right now, but I think he's savvy enough to get the good Smith/bad Smith game that is happening in the media.
He seems more grounded and less prone to flights of fancy, fantasy, or mystic pooperoo than Morrissey. I would be surprised to see him go off the deep end and squander any goodwill aimed his way. He just seems like a dude who makes music because it brings him happiness, and I get the feeling if it stopped bringing him happiness to do it in public, he'd stop. But his neighbors would still hear him strumming.

Correct, Drama J is practically done for, after this disaster of a release. Perhaps, as a desperate, last measure, some new normal hair? Instead of the Comet :drama: Hair :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft:?
:worried:

I know this wasn’t addressed to me and I know how g23 feels about them but Colin and the decemberists I think are objectively the best in terms of lyrical ability and follow somewhat in the steps on the smiths especially here first three albums by really there whole career. The humor the references to poetry novels and film the heart on your sleeve sensitivity the story telling lexicon etc are all I think somewhat incomparable to many acts today. Almost anything not off the new album which is a career low imo is excellent. Anything off of her majesty or picaresque works as an example of this. That said I also think Patrick wolf has written some nice songs lyrically

I know this wasn’t addressed to me and I know how g23 feels about them but Colin and the decemberists I think are objectively the best in terms of lyrical ability and follow somewhat in the steps on the smiths especially here first three albums by really there whole career. The humor the references to poetry novels and film the heart on your sleeve sensitivity the story telling lexicon etc are all I think somewhat incomparable to many acts today. Almost anything not off the new album which is a career low imo is excellent. Anything off of her majesty or picaresque works as an example of this. That said I also think Patrick wolf has written some nice songs lyrically
On paper, I think Colin Meloy is gifted. I'm just not into the sound of it. Kind of like Dylan. He sounds like a broken harmonium, but he's got a way with words.

Johnny Marr just went down in my esteem after seeing this-
https://johnnymarr.wun.io

Seriously, any artist that does paid $100.00 meet and greets cheapen and invalidate the entire experience by reducing it to a business transaction.
Morrissey may ignore 99% of people who approach him, but at least he doesn't pull that crap.

On paper, I think Colin Meloy is gifted. I'm just not into the sound of it. Kind of like Dylan. He sounds like a broken harmonium, but he's got a way with words.

No I understand. That’s why I tried to say objectively and I get you’re probably more a fan of the more earnest everyman storytelling and music of the mountain goats. Colins complexity with words on paper and then making them fit into music is just a talent I’ve not seen displayed in a while and not just with telling a story or word count but even just the fluidity of the phonetics. It amazes me. I’m also a fan of the music to though I’m not a big fan of the new one nor the hazards of love

Exactly, met the man a few times for free, but certainly would never have paid for it.
But the cash has to come from somewhere now that this Smiths-reunion isn’t happening.

As for the album, it’s decent enough.
Will definitely chart top 10, as did his last two, but won’t sell more than 15,000 I would expect.
Still, three UK top 10 albums back to back is something Johnny hasn’t experienced in 30 years so he must be thrilled!

YES 3 TOP TEN ALBUMS FOR ME!!:swear
Drama Johnny MARR!!!!:eek::swear:swear

EACH SOLD 5ooo COPIES!!!:swear

Lets see 5ooo times 3 albums thats 15 ooo albums times 1o quid its 15o ooo quid! WTF kind of money is
that? After I pay off all the music reviewers and the chubby band mates Im down to a couple of quid.
Subtract
the flower shits and the handling of the:handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: and
IM IN THE RED!!!!!!!!:ahhh:

FLOCK IM f***ED! HELP ME MOZ!!!:pray:

Seriously, any artist that does paid $100.00 meet and greets cheapen and invalidate the entire experience by reducing it to a business transaction.
Morrissey may ignore 99% of people who approach him, but at least he doesn't pull that crap.

Yeah, that is just lame. Didn't think Marr would sink so low for a couple of quid.

If you go to Comicon this is pretty standard for a picture and an autograph. I think more bands are doing this as revenues from selling your music disappears in a digital puff of dust.

Also Johnny just did two massive signings at Rough Trade in London Friday and in Manchester today. I for one would pay that instead of waiting in line for hours just for the off-chance of catching him for an autograph and a chat. I would have seriously considered this, except it's already sold out at my local venue.

Yeah, that is just lame. Didn't think Marr would sink so low for a couple of quid.
I have a go to line for when I bump into paid meet and greet artists that I've only used on Mark Mothersbaugh so far.
After I shook his hand a few years ago I went "Oh crap! Does this mean that I owe you a hundred bucks now?"
He thought it was pretty funny, and I thought I did a good job of basically saying the paid meet and greet is a load of garbage.

Back
Top Bottom