Will Johnny Marr's 'Call the Comet' outsell Morrissey's 'Low in High School?'

How many copies do you think Call the Comet will shift in week 1 (UK)?

• Total voters
No I understand. That’s why I tried to say objectively and I get you’re probably more a fan of the more earnest everyman storytelling and music of the mountain goats. Colins complexity with words on paper and then making them fit into music is just a talent I’ve not seen displayed in a while and not just with telling a story or word count but even just the fluidity of the phonetics. It amazes me. I’m also a fan of the music to though I’m not a big fan of the new one nor the hazards of love
Mountain Goats have had a pretty pronounced musical evolution over the years. I dug his Guitar guy with a tape recorder thing, but I also really like his full band work. The Goths album is great. The contrast of the upbeat jazzy music against the goth theme does my head in in the best way.

PURCHASE MY VIP PACKAGE OTHERWISE I STARVE!!!!!!!

I NEED FOOD PLEASE PURCHASE the VIP PACKAGE and then BUY THE STUPID TICKET
YOU DONT HAVE TO SIT THRU the CLUSTERFLOCK PERFORMANCE BUT BUY BUY
BUY or ELSE I WILL PUT THE:frogface: CURSE ON ALL OF YOU MISERABLE MOZ FANS!!!!

DO WE UNDERSTAND EACH OTHER?:gun:

If you go to Comicon this is pretty standard for a picture and an autograph. I think more bands are doing this as revenues from selling your music disappears in a digital puff of dust.

Also Johnny just did two massive signings at Rough Trade in London Friday and in Manchester today. I for one would pay that instead of waiting in line for hours just for the off-chance of catching him for an autograph and a chat. I would have seriously considered this, except it's already sold out at my local venue.
Eh, I don't care who you are. If you charge for a handshake and a scribble, it's worthless. I think it takes a special brand of turdliness to charge people to pay what probably just ends up being the band's per diem. But they get a stiff photo and an autograph! (concert ticket an additional 25 dollars with mandatory 15 dollar service charge)

Eh, I don't care who you are. If you charge for a handshake and a scribble, it's worthless. I think it takes a special brand of turdliness to charge people for what probably just ends up being the band's per diem.

WtF MAKES you SO IMPORTANT,who are you GABBY HAYES??

You MISERABLE CHEAPSKATE you dont want to PAY FOR THE AUTOGRAPH ON the CHEAP
CALL THE COMET:drama: HOMEMADE CD? HOW DARE YOU:swear:swear

CURSE FOR YOU THATS WHY ALL NEED RE SETTING:swear:swear

Mountain Goats have had a pretty pronounced musical evolution over the years. I dug his Guitar guy with a tape recorder thing, but I also really like his full band work. The Goths album is great. The contrast of the upbeat jazzy music against the goth theme does my head in in the best way.

I like the mountain goats alright, more so the newer stuff. I thought the early records just kinda ok. Good for what they are but kind of boring after a while. Goths was really good but I always found them to be a neat band rather than a band I loved. Again thoug goths was an album that showed a neat band getting even better. The decemberists for what it's worth make music that I find really funny and joyful but also writes songs that make my heart ache not just for tragic subject matter in the lyrics lyrics (homeless teenage junkie runaway prostitutes sleeping in each other's arms at the bus stop etc) but more so for the yearning romanticism of a person trying to break his own heart just because he likes the way it feels. I enjoy the romantic drama and the detailed characters

Eh, I don't care who you are. If you charge for a handshake and a scribble, it's worthless. I think it takes a special brand of turdliness to charge people to pay what probably just ends up being the band's per diem. But they get a stiff photo and an autograph! (concert ticket an additional 25 dollars with mandatory 15 dollar service charge)

Are you certain this is the case? I'm sure there must be some mistake. I mean, Marr has just written an album about an amazingly positive future where capitalism doesn't exist anymore and everybody is incredibly happy. Whereas Morrisey is negative and hypocritical and only in it for the money.

Are you certain this is the case? I'm sure there must be some mistake. I mean, Marr has just written an album about an amazingly positive future where capitalism doesn't exist anymore and everybody is incredibly happy. Whereas Morrisey is negative and hypocritical and only in it for the money.

I NEED I WANT MONEY MONEY MONEY GREEN MONEY!!!

you come to the stupid show, buy an cd for 25 quid and then you bring the schtup CD to me sitting on the table and I SIGN FOR AN ADDITIONAL 25 QUID IN MONEY!!:rage:

DONT BE SMART PAY THE QUIDS that I REQUIRE!!:swear

CAPICE? ARE WE ON THE SAME PAGE???:swear

AND SHUT UP ABOUT MOZ ALWAYS MOZ MOZ MOZ SHUT THE F UP SHUT UP:swear:swear

This is one where I say M comes in ahead of Johnny. He hasn't sunk to whoring himself for handshakes.

Sorry, but anyone who thinks those 'comet' lyrics are better than M's lyrics from 'LIHS'

is.......

:crazy:

I have a go to line for when I bump into paid meet and greet artists that I've only used on Mark Mothersbaugh so far.
After I shook his hand a few years ago I went "Oh crap! Does this mean that I owe you a hundred bucks now?"
He thought it was pretty funny, and I thought I did a good job of basically saying the paid meet and greet is a load of garbage.

Haha, that’s a good one. Shame you’ve just made it public though, because now the next time you use it the recipient will groan and say “Not again, that’s the fourth time today”.

Did it come with a handshake at least?

Just a book. I once went to a book signing with Michael Caine. He had minders keeping you around 5 metres away from him who warned you to also not talk to him. I always thought Michael Caine was OK til I encountered that debacle, he's now on my celebrity twat list.

This is one where I say M comes in ahead of Johnny. He hasn't sunk to whoring himself for handshakes.
Mmmm.... no, but he just uses different techniques. Like whipping up an online shitstorm to grab publicity for his tour/album. Different method, but it's all sales and marketing. I'd say they're both about as bad as each other. Actually, as wanky as the paid 'meet and greet' is, you could argue that at least it's an honest transaction.

Last edited:
Mmmm.... no, but he just uses different techniques. Like whipping up an online shitstorm to grab attention for his tour/album. Different method, but it's all sales and marketing. I'd say they're both about as bad as each other. Actually, as wanky as the paid 'meet and greet' is, you could argue that at least it's an honest transaction.

You couldn't be more wrong about Steve Morrissey making inflammatory comments to grab attention. He is a political idiot, unaware of how ugly, idiotic and poorly thought-out his comments are. He's never been more toxic, and has driven (and continues to drive) a large number of people away from his work. The idea that there is no such thing as bad publicity is nonsense. Journalists have turned on him (no surprise), fans have turned on him, and even other singers/acts whom he might have considered friends (e.g. The Sparks) have publicly stated their opposition to his views. There is no comparison whatsoever to Johnny Marr's largely successful marketing campaign.

I'm not sure whether Johnny's new album will outsell Morrissey's last album in the UK. Fairly certain it will outsell Morrissey's next album, though.

For me it is a good record. I like Rise, Tracers, Hi Hello, Day In, Day Out, Actor Atracktor and Spiral Cities.
Lyrics. I don’t care. Just like I didn’t care about Wonderwall.
Who will sell more? Marr is building Morrissey is crumbling. The lines will cross. Maybe not this time.
But for all you people who are angry Johnny is playing the game...it’s his livelihood and he wants to do well. And In my assessment he is doing far better than Morrissey who seems to have completely lost the plot.
Morrisseys last truly great record? I like the Deluxe Quarry. Since then I’ve liked, and I think many agree (I know not all) that each since is a step down.

Back
Top Bottom