Will Johnny Marr's 'Call the Comet' outsell Morrissey's 'Low in High School?'

How many copies do you think Call the Comet will shift in week 1 (UK)?

• Total voters
You have to wonder why they spend weeks and weeks promoting things which just don't sell. I guess it might be to drum up interest for live shows and merch.

Final position #7 in the UK album chart, with 8,794 sold - so that's slightly up on 'Playland', which charted at #9 with 7,281 sold.

It's amazing to me how few people buy albums these days, and I'm talking across the entire chart. We live in a time of cheap-ass streaming bastids, for sure.

The moneys in live gigs nowadays. New Order and countless other bands (inc Morrissey in years gone by) can make over a 1oo grand from from a single gig and in some instances clear 500 grand!

Last edited:
The moneys in live gigs nowadays. New Order and countless other bands (inc Morrissey in years gone bye) can make over a 1oo grand from from a single gig and in some instances clear 500 grand!

When I saw Johnny in Los Angeles, he didn't have any merchandise for sale. It actually made me worried for him financially.

:rolleyes:

Chezz/Skinny/Surface, the tour is the " CALL THE COMET":drama:, FFS, its a promotional tour FOR the album.:head-smack:

Drama J plays tiny venues, I doubt he covers the overhead.:straightface:

When I saw Johnny in Los Angeles, he didn't have any merchandise for sale. It actually made me worried for him financially.

Bummer in the Summer, he lost out on one of those "New Order 5oo ooo" sale nights.
He would have had to sell 1000 items to each ticket buyer, as New Order did, but if anyone
is capable of doing this NO deed, :frogface: would be the one.:crazy:

Has this been published yet, from Newsweek:

Morrissey’s run of consecutive Top 10 studio albums – he has had 11 – is ongoing, but his lower-profile former Smiths colleague and fellow Mancunian, 54-year-old Johnny Marr, who started his solo career comparatively late, extends his own string to three. Marr’s latest set, Call The Comet, opens at No.7 (8,794 sales). His first solo album, The Messenger, debuted and peaked at No.10 (11,747 sales) in 2013, and follow-up Playland opened at No.9 (7,281 sales) the following year.

I'm pretty sure that Call The Comet won't sell as much as LIHS, because Marr doesn't has such a devoted fan base around the world. But a more important thing is whether it fulfills the expectations of the record company -- how much money is spent on promoting it, recording it etc, how is Marr's contract structured when it comes to advances, tour profits and so on. Those things dictate whether any money is made from the album.

I'm pretty sure that Call The Comet won't sell as much as LIHS, because Marr doesn't has such a devoted fan base around the world. But a more important thing is whether it fulfills the expectations of the record company -- how much money is spent on promoting it, recording it etc, how is Marr's contract structured when it comes to advances, tour profits and so on. Those things dictate whether any money is made from the album.

Record company? LOL which one, New Voodoo Records IS Drama J:crazy:

Yes, LIHS sold much better in its first week than Marr's Call the Comet, but then LIHS dropped like a stone in its second week. With Johnny's album, I have to admit that I intend to buy it but still haven't gone to the store to get it. So it is possible that Johnny may still close some of the gap with LIHS over a longer period, although I do not expect Call the Comet to outsell LIHS.

Yes, LIHS sold much better in its first week than Marr's Call the Comet, but then LIHS dropped like a stone in its second week. With Johnny's album, I have to admit that I intend to buy it but still haven't gone to the store to get it. So it is possible that Johnny may still close some of the gap with LIHS over a longer period, although I do not expect Call the Comet to outsell LIHS.
Your username keeps me thinking of the song with the same title with swedish indie legends Popsicle. The titles for many of their songs were names and words that did not mean what most people in Sweden thought they meant and they did that as a joke.

Even though I might be feeding a troll, I just wonder whether vegan.c***face realizes that New Voodoo is a sub-label of Warner, just like all those Morrissey dalliances with his own labels.

Even though I might be feeding a troll, I just wonder whether vegan.c***face realizes that New Voodoo is a sub-label of Warner, just like all those Morrissey dalliances with his own labels.

It’s been pointed out to him before but due to him being a troll, he ignores facts. I have the CD and it clearly states Warner on it. Best to let the no mark troll his life away, he very rarely gets any responses to the shot he posts.

No it isnt LOL its not listed on their website as being one. New Voodoo is Drama Js attic.:crazy:

LOL someone forgot to tell Warners.:laughing:
New Voodoo is financed by he 100 pound handshake.:rofl:

There will probably be less people saying that Morrissey can’t play guitar, opposed to the ones that will state that Marr can’t sing.

Back
Top Bottom