Windscreen wiper water linked to Legionnaires’ disease

nightingale+therose

...brush me daddy-o
Windscreen Wiper Water Linked to Legionnaires’ disease

According to the Health Protection Agency, the wiper water used for windscreens may be the cause of Legionnaires’ disease in 20% of cases in England and Wales:eek:. They say that the stagnant, warm water is a place where Legionella bacterium can breed, which can cause pneumonia when inhaled. However, they also advise that adding screenwash can kill the bacteria and save lives. (Yay!):thumb:

This finding came after researchers discovered that professional drivers are 5 times as likely to get infected. It is fairly rare to contract Legionnaires’ disease, while most cases are sporadic and doctors can’t find a source, but it’s more likely to affect men and those who are older than 50 years. Early symptoms include aching muscles, headaches, fever, dry cough and tiredness - very similar to the flu. In 2009, 345 cases were found in England and Wales, and some of these were contracted while the patients were overseas. About 10% to 15% of patients die from the disease.

To find out why Legionnaires’ affects people that spend a long time driving more, the Health Protection Agency conducted a study of people that have been infected. They found that people who drive or travel in vans, who spend a lot of time in the car, who drive through industrial areas and who ride with the car window down often are the most at risk.

The biggest risk was discovered to be associated with not adding screenwash to the wiper water. The agency carried out a pilot study that found traces of Legionella in 1 out of 5 cars that didn’t have screenwash.

Health Protection Agency South West regional director Dr. Isabel Oliver said that people may want to use screenwash, which has agents that stop bacteria growth. Legionnaires’ disease doesn’t spread between people, but it can be found in water environments and breathed in when it’s airborne, she added.:sick:

Bob Dylan can update this one if he remembers it...

Some say it was radiation, some say there was acid on the microphone,
Some say a combination that turned their hearts to stone,
But whatever it was, it drove them to their knees.
Oh, Legionnaire's disease.

I wish I had a dollar for everyone that died within that year,
Got 'em hot by the collar, plenty an old maid shed a tear,
Now within my heart, it sure put on a squeeze.
Oh, that Legionnaire's disease.

Granddad fought in a revolutionary war, father in the War of 1812,
Uncle fought in Vietnam and then he fought a war all by himself,
But whatever it was, it came out of the trees.

:D

That's quite easy to stop. You put an additive into the lining of the water tank, and presto - no more bugs.

Peter

Bob Dylan can update this one if he remembers it...

Some say it was radiation, some say there was acid on the microphone,
Some say a combination that turned their hearts to stone,
But whatever it was, it drove them to their knees.
Oh, Legionnaire's disease.

I wish I had a dollar for everyone that died within that year,
Got 'em hot by the collar, plenty an old maid shed a tear,
Now within my heart, it sure put on a squeeze.

Granddad fought in a revolutionary war, father in the War of 1812,
Uncle fought in Vietnam and then he fought a war all by himself,
But whatever it was, it came out of the trees.

:D
:thumb::thumb:

That's quite easy to stop. You put an additive into the lining of the water tank, and presto - no more bugs.

Peter
....or just don't wash your windows:rolleyes:.
Euch - thats gross! (comment from a non-driver obviously):p.

Tags
disease driving
Back
Top Bottom