Wolverhampton 88 question

A

Anonymous

One thing that's always bugged me about this show, and maybe if you were there you can answer..why was it so short? Do you think it was always planned to be this short or did repeated stage invasions lead to it being curtailed early? Was there booing when people realised it was over so soon? I also wonder about the people who weren't able to get in, i believe the venue was pretty small. Anybody have any happy or sad memories of the day? thx

Mike, Andy and Craig were contacted unexpectedly.
They didn't have time to learn songs which they hadn't played before.

One thing that's always bugged me about this show, and maybe if you were there you can answer..why was it so short? Do you think it was always planned to be this short or did repeated stage invasions lead to it being curtailed early? Was there booing when people realised it was over so soon? I also wonder about the people who weren't able to get in, i believe the venue was pretty small. Anybody have any happy or sad memories of the day? thx

It was announced before the gig that it was going to be short

I was one of those who didn't get in! There was quite an orderly queue formed at first, I recall, but this was then disrupted by Moz arriving in the bus - when a genuine Beatlemania-style pandemonium erupted. And then I seem to remember lots of late-arrivers pushing in at the front at the very last minute just as people were being let in. So we were the first ones to be turned away! Cue oddly surreal scenes of hundred of forlorn Smiths fans wandering dejectedly around Wolverhampton...

I remember it was initially announced that the gig was being filmed for a video for Playboys - but this obviously didn't work out.

It was never intended to be a gig in the first place. It was quickly put together in order to capture some live solo footage for Tim Broad to use for future promotional video(s). Via the NME, fans were informed to just turn up wearing a Smiths or Morrissey t-shirt and they would get in for free. What followed is now all part and parcel of Morrissey experience, but wasn't anticipated.

Back
Top Bottom