"World Peace..." #19 in Les Inrocks top 100 albums of 2014

Morran sends the link:

Top 100 : les meilleurs albums de l’année 2014 - Les Inrocks

19 Morrissey - World Peace Is None of Your Business

Sur la pochette de son dixième album, Morrissey semble en grande conversation avec un chien. L’air un peu désolé, le chanteur est probablement en train d’expliquer à la pauvre bête qu’elle devra s’astreindre pendant sept longues semaines à un régime strict de croquettes végétariennes. Ceci n’est pas une blague. Le chien – une chienne en l’occurrence, baptisée Paula – appartient à Maxime Le Guil, jeune ingénieur du son français qui tenait la console pour l’enregistrement de “World Peace Is None of Your Business”. Lire la chronique

An anonymous person also posted:

The French magazine Les Inrockuptibles ranked WPINOYB at number 19 out of the 100 best albums of 2014, which is very good going - they consider it to be one of his best albums.
They added a little anecdote, saying the dog on the cover is called Paula and her owner is a young sound engineer who worked on the album.

He challenges all of the societal institutions that we have been told will provide us with happiness, success, safety, and security: he questions the validity of education, government, marriage, family, justice, cultrual traditions, and even the arts. If we follow the rules, these institutions are suppose to ensure contentment. As most of us know, this is not always the case.

If by challenge you mean he tells us everything is shit, then I agree, but if you mean he lays out the issues surrounding these important aspects of modern life and skewers them to the mounting board as they twitch and writhe, then I'm afraid I cannot. There are a couple of near misses on it. I'm Not A Man was potentially this albums great torch song, but went all a bit Andrew Lloyd Webber. Istanbul is OK. Staircase started well, and is the only track where I thought "Woah! Here we go..." but is lyrically inept. The rest are unlistenable. The odd thing is the tracks where the lyric is good are ruined by the music, and the tracks where the music is good are ruined by the lyric. It's one of those rare albums where you wonder if someone snuck into the studio and decided to play One Song To The Tune Of Another and it went off to the pressing plant before anybody noticed.

The second disc is by far my favorite. It has a very nostalgic, classic Morrissey sound. Drag the River and Forgive Someone are the kind of tracks, like I Know It's Over, Come Back to Camden, Trouble Loves Me, and so many others, that leave you feeling like you've just had a good cry, or you desperately need to have one.

If only World Peace contained a song even approaching those you mention. People talk of Mozart and even Bob Dylan in terms of their major or minor works, taken as a whole over their productive lifetimes. World Peace does not contain a major Morrissey work. Take Morrissey's solo career and, being brutally honest, list his/your top twenty songs. Although Marred, Surface and Gregor would include the eighteen from World Peace and perm a couple from the last Janice Long Session, how many from his recent album would make the cut?

Some posters have stated that it doesn't live up to the standards that Morrissey set so high right from the beginning. I disagree, but even if that were the case, is it realistic to expect someone to hit the height of his career at 55?

Morrissey thinks it is the best thing he's ever done. You yourself admit the second disc is by far your favourite. It's the extras disc.

Wishing you all a happy and healthy new year!

lynnda

You too, lynnda.

Last edited by a moderator:
If only World Peace contained a song even approaching those you mention. People talk of Mozart and even Bob Dylan in terms of their major or minor works, taken as a whole over their productive lifetimes. World Peace does not contain a major Morrissey work. Take Morrissey's solo career and, being brutally honest, list his/your top twenty songs. Although Marred, Surface and Gregor would include the eighteen from World Peace and perm a couple from the last Janice Long Session, how many from his recent album would make the cut?
Forgive Someone would make the cut. Perhaps also Smiler With Knife. I think it's astonishing that there actually exists people who vehemently deny the obvious qualities of songs like these.

yeah the empty room quality to mountjoy is also amazing. neil cassidy is also very popular and catchy as hell (i love it). kiss me a lot is hilarious to me. when he shouts bastille, at top volume to continue the theme of being inappropriate in inappropriate places, its just top to me.

If by challenge you mean he tells us everything is shit, then I agree, but if you mean he lays out the issues surrounding these important aspects of modern life and skewers them to the mounting board as they twitch and writhe, then I'm afraid I cannot. There are a couple of near misses on it. I'm Not A Man was potentially this albums great torch song, but went all a bit Andrew Lloyd Webber. Istanbul is OK. Staircase started well, and is the only track where I thought "Woah! Here we go..." but is lyrically inept. The rest are unlistenable. The odd thing is the tracks where the lyric is good are ruined by the music, and the tracks where the music is good are ruined by the lyric. It's one of those rare albums where you wonder if someone snuck into the studio and decided to play One Song To The Tune Of Another and it went off to the pressing plant before anybody noticed.

Morrissey thinks it is the best thing he's ever done. You yourself admit the second disc is by far your favourite. It's the extras disc.

No artist, Morrissey included, would ever ever promote their current work as "not their best". To them, it's immediate and it's what they've been engaged with for the last year or so. Even Bowie talked up crap like 'Never Let Me Down' when it was released. That's what artists do. When did you last read an interview with an artist saying "Here's my latest work, it's not as good as my best, it's patchy, but parts of it aren't bad..."? It never happens for obvious reasons. Johnny, you can allude to classical composers all you like, but everyone knows your agenda is to try to discredit Morrissey using every desperate, hamfisted trick in the book, so unfortunately you're not taken seriously here. And you calling someone like Morrissey "lyrically inept" is as hilarious as when Brummie Boy referred to Autobiography as "unreadable prose style" with no apparent trace of irony despite the endless orotund nonsense he posts on here. When people have self-professed (or self-evident) agendas, they lack the requisite impartiality of credible critics. Cue default response calling me an arsekisser/sycophant, etc etc (yawn).

You too, lynnda.

Honestly, I think that Forgive Someone, Istanbul, and Drag the River could make the cut. The problem for me is that I have so many favorites that selecting a top twenty list would be difficult. There would be many that wouldn't make the cut but that would still have a place in my heart. For me, that's testimony to how talented he truly is. Also, this is a very subjective matter. Like you, Quarry may always be my favorite, but there are many posters here who aren't fond of it; and while most people agree that Kill Uncle isn't his best, I might rate I'm Driving Your Girlfriend Home in my top twenty. I guess there will never be a unanimous vote on his best work, but I do appreciate that you take the time to explain your position. As for his statement that it is his best work, he may truly believe that. Realistically, he can't say "it's not my absolute best, but it's very good"; I don't think that any artist could do that. I imagine that records are like children and the new one gets extra attention. As I stated, I'm not sure if he can match the caliber of writing that he achieved in some of his previous work, only because some of those songs are so outstanding that they are untouchable, but that doesn't mean that the new songs don't have value. Obviously, this is just my opinion. Hope you had a happy Christmas, JB.

lynnda

Last edited by a moderator:
i think it also a problem with the listener. you seem nuanced while other younger listeners dont. i mean what twenty year old is really down with the beats. im 34 and they were already fading though my family loved them but were very old world and i dont think that applies to younger people. i doubt any of these younger people even know how awesome cassidy was. like when the cops came to the farm to question them and he just keeps flipping the ten pound sledge trying to freak them out. love it and the golden letter but i doubt any of that makes any impact on younger generations

pffft.... World Peace reigns over Quarry!

"World Peace" has Jesse Tobias so it is absolutely impossible for it to reign over anything.

He sucks as a composer and obviously as a guitarist.

what do you play? what were his contributions to world peace, im not a man, kiss me a lot and something else i think ( i believe i remember three ). just pulled the case. im not a man was the best song off of world peace so hes got something in my book in terms of writing. i mean kiss me a lot is awesome and the solo is pretty neat with the step climbing and noodly slide. also smiler with knife while not my fav is pretty popular and does have a lot of musicality to it though its to much of a grab bag for me ( oh the block ) but i loved the jangly viva hateness of bullfighter dies and the descending lines. all good to me. a lot of these were high points on world peace for me and many others so i dont think its his compositional skills this time around

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom