"World Peace" review by Keith Cameron in Mojo (4 stars, Aug. 2014)

Some of these lyric excerpts have me worried...

Neal Cassady Drops Dead
"The little fella has got Rubella"

Staircase At The University
"you're no child of mine, and as far as I'm concerned you're dead"
"your shame is sure to stain the family name"

Kiss Me A Lot
"Bastille mausoleum, stockyard...your mammy's backyard"

Mountjoy
"I was sent here by a three-foot half-wit in a wig"

Just received the new (August) issue of Mojo - 'World Peace...' is this month's featured album with an effusive full page 4-star review by Keith Cameron, accompanied by a rather odd illustration by one Dan Craig. Sample quotes: "the most subtle and decorous Morrissey album for many years, possibly since the hallowed Vauxhall And I" "so good you want to stand and cheer".

The feature is also trailed on the front cover with the tag "his best album in 20 years!"

Posted by Detritus:

@Boyafraid1 on Twitter posted a scan of the review.

"The uncouth chug-rock that has been the post-Vauxhall era's default is absent" is all I needed to read. Bring on this album.

mojo_wpreview.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: World Peace 4-Star Mojo Review

Great news indeed... which won't go down well with the Barleygroans of this place.

Once more it is pleasing that you see Morrissey and first think of me, but a review is simply an opinion, and that can only be formed with your own ears. One of my favourite albums is almost universally derided as a career ending disaster for its creator, but I like it regardless. Now, nearly twenty years after its release, it is gaining new admirers.

I have not found any of the four songs I have heard so far thrilling, but my only comment on the album itself has been I hope for the best. Now, I don't expect a simple fact like that to put you off your usual lying, cretinous bullshit, because I know how difficult it must be for you to type with that head wand.

It seems to me that, as usual, you let others do your thinking for you. Morrissey says something, anything, you agree. A reviewer you have never heard of says "four" and without hearing the album you agree.

The problem is Orson, you are a follower. You do not have opinions of your own. Instead, like many similar Morrissey sycophants, you rely on what others tell you to think. I would not be at all surprised to hear a machine breathes for you.

Here's an idea. Get the album. Listen. Absorb it, and then give an honest opinion of what you think, just for once. Not what someone else has told you to think. What you think. I know that will be a bit of a struggle, but you can manage it if you concentrate.

I just pray to God that the Bullfighter Dies is the worst song.

That is almost certainly World Peace. It would be extremely hard to out bollocks that bollocks in my opinion.

Re: World Peace 4-Star Mojo Review IS JUST THE BEGINNING!

I've heard from folk who've heard the album and word up is "it's wonderful!" I haven't heard it, obvs, but I have a gut feeling it's going to blow people away. I've done all I can do. I lifted the supposedly life-long fatwa I imposed over Morrisseys' "unforgiveable" handbag comment on David Banda Ciccione but these things take time.

What would be dreadful is if there's panic at the low-key success rate to date. The best campaigns are a mix of word of mouth and press. Word of mouth on WPINOYB is very strong and building. If it's a slow burner and takes a year to go global in terms of sales and recognition, it's in the company of lots of other gems, like say, "Raising Sand". So long as Harvest or Morrissey don't bottle it and let some Green Day AOR Dad Rock Remixes emerge in a futile hope of mainstream airplay in the Flyover States. Ain't gonna happen there yet and "America Is Not The World". Why the hell did he showcase the new global music in that dump anyway?

There's potentially a whole new Audience for Morrissey and his band worldwide which is orders of magnitude larger than the current stale, sterile cult of stalker fans, once this album gains momentum and his touring work-horse persona returns. It seems to be important to him to work like a Navvy and have Industry Media approval so this will presumably lift his spirits after the 'virus/cold/support act' nonsenses. He's hardly in the Bowie/Bush league of insouciant confidence. LOL!

For years I've been saying that if Morrissey really was an admirer of Kadim Al Sahir and the rest of the music that pumps onto the streets of Small Heath, he'd drop the Green Day Dad Rock nonsense and step up to the plate. Amazingly, with "Istanbul", he's not only matched "Ahbini" but possibly excelled it. My jaw genuinely dropped and i'm still in shock from my first hearing of "Istanbul". It's a towering achievement that may take a year to translate to global anthem, but I have faith it will happen. And it redeems him for dissing Baby David Banda. So we're good!

I'll ask around the B10 hood, and send a message to Kadim asking if he'll do a cameo on any "Istanbul" video. A video which needs to match the impact of "Music and War". And if Harvest won't cough up 50/50 with Morrissey, then he knows where he stands 'going forward'. Morrissey's not as drop-dead gorgeous as Kadim and me, but beauty isn't everything. I'll even ask Kadim if he'll duet onstage in Istanbul. He's wary because of Morrissey's wilding out and it's been years since Morrissey even mentioned him. But let's see. This could all have happened in 2007 if Morrissey had grown a pair instead of trolling everyone to the point where the letters F & U were the only ones used in response to any big-up proposals for his wayward career.

best wishes
BB from B10 'the real Mover & Shaker'

I'm rather growing to like you, my boy. Fancy a pint?

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of these lyric excerpts have me worried...

Neal Cassady Drops Dead
"The little fella has got Rubella"

Staircase At The University
"you're no child of mine, and as far as I'm concerned you're dead"

Kiss Me A Lot
"Bastille mausoleum, stockyard...your mammy's backyard"

Mountjoy
"I was sent here by a three-foot half-wit in a wig"

I quite like the first one, possibly because I can hear Karl Pilkington saying it, the others, however are a bit concerning.

I went looking for the Bastille as a youth. That was a wasted hour.

I've heard from folk who've heard the album and word up is "it's wonderful!" I haven't heard it, obvs, but I have a gut feeling it's going to blow people away. I've done all I can do. I lifted the supposedly life-long fatwa I imposed over Morrisseys' "unforgiveable" handbag comment on David Banda Ciccione but these things take time.

What would be dreadful is if there's panic at the low-key success rate to date. The best campaigns are a mix of word of mouth and press. Word of mouth on WPINOYB is very strong and building. If it's a slow burner and takes a year to go global in terms of sales and recognition, it's in the company of lots of other gems, like say, "Raising Sand". So long as Harvest or Morrissey don't bottle it and let some Green Day AOR Dad Rock Remixes emerge in a futile hope of mainstream airplay in the Flyover States. Ain't gonna happen there yet and "America Is Not The World". Why the hell did he showcase the new global music in that dump anyway?

There's potentially a whole new Audience for Morrissey and his band worldwide which is orders of magnitude larger than the current stale, sterile cult of stalker fans, once this album gains momentum and his touring work-horse persona returns. It seems to be important to him to work like a Navvy and have Industry Media approval so this will presumably lift his spirits after the 'virus/cold/support act' nonsenses. He's hardly in the Bowie/Bush league of insouciant confidence. LOL!

For years I've been saying that if Morrissey really was an admirer of Kadim Al Sahir and the rest of the music that pumps onto the streets of Small Heath, he'd drop the Green Day Dad Rock nonsense and step up to the plate. Amazingly, with "Istanbul", he's not only matched "Ahbini" but possibly excelled it. My jaw genuinely dropped and i'm still in shock from my first hearing of "Istanbul". It's a towering achievement that may take a year to translate to global anthem, but I have faith it will happen. And it redeems him for dissing Baby David Banda. So we're good!

I'll ask around the B10 hood, and send a message to Kadim asking if he'll do a cameo on any "Istanbul" video. A video which needs to match the impact of "Music and War". And if Harvest won't cough up 50/50 with Morrissey, then he knows where he stands 'going forward'. Morrissey's not as drop-dead gorgeous as Kadim and me, but beauty isn't everything. I'll even ask Kadim if he'll duet onstage in Istanbul. He's wary because of Morrissey's wilding out and it's been years since Morrissey even mentioned him. But let's see. This could all have happened in 2007 if Morrissey had grown a pair instead of trolling everyone to the point where the letters F & U were the only ones used in response to any big-up proposals for his wayward career.

best wishes
BB from B10 'the real Mover & Shaker'

He's a very delicate fifty-five, BB. He isn't a callow youth. He had the world at his feet in 1992 and decided to kick it. That was the time to soar, and instead he spent most of the next decade embroiled in the trial and its aftermath. After the disaster of Kill Uncle, Your Arsenal and Vauxhall & I should have propelled him into the very top leagues. For whatever reason it just didn't happen.

I doubt he'll ever fully recover from his more outlandish statements enough to dominate the world of intelligent rock and pop as he once did. The damage is done. Whether this album is a triumph or not he's skilfully alienated enough people to ensure a return to the very top is unlikely.

Re: World Peace 4-Star Mojo Review

Once more it is pleasing that you see Morrissey and first think of me, but a review is simply an opinion, and that can only be formed with your own ears. One of my favourite albums is almost universally derided as a career ending disaster for its creator, but I like it regardless. Now, nearly twenty years after its release, it is gaining new admirers.

I have not found any of the four songs I have heard so far thrilling, but my only comment on the album itself has been I hope for the best. Now, I don't expect a simple fact like that to put you off your usual lying, cretinous bullshit, because I know how difficult it must be for you to type with that head wand.

It seems to me that, as usual, you let others do your thinking for you. Morrissey says something, anything, you agree. A reviewer you have never heard of says "four" and without hearing the album you agree.

The problem is Orson, you are a follower. You do not have opinions of your own. Instead, like many similar Morrissey sycophants, you rely on what others tell you to think. I would not be at all surprised to hear a machine breathes for you.

Here's an idea. Get the album. Listen. Absorb it, and then give an honest opinion of what you think, just for once. Not what someone else has told you to think. What you think. I know that will be a bit of a struggle, but you can manage it if you concentrate.

Are you talking about Michael Jackson's Invincible?

He's a very delicate fifty-five, BB. He isn't a callow youth. He had the world at his feet in 1992 and decided to kick it. That was the time to soar, and instead he spent most of the next decade embroiled in the trial and its aftermath. After the disaster of Kill Uncle, Your Arsenal and Vauxhall & I should have propelled him into the very top leagues. For whatever reason it just didn't happen.

I doubt he'll ever fully recover from his more outlandish statements enough to dominate the world of intelligent rock and pop as he once did. The damage is done. Whether this album is a triumph or not he's skilfully alienated enough people to ensure a return to the very top is unlikely.

It is SO beyond wonderful! Moz has surpassed himself, and that is saying something!!! Anyone who is in doubt, stop listening to great music. Go get a another hobby! P.S He looks as handsome and Irish, IMO, as he ever has! Swoooon.

If Mojo are saying best album in 20 years obviously they mean the best since Vauxhall. Bloody hell, this album is going to be amazing. I'm well stoked. Reckon I'll need to shell out for the deluxe version instead of the regular album the way things are looking. Reckon Moz will announce a couple of Irish dates sometime this year. If so I'll be there with the regular irregulars.

If Mojo are saying best album in 20 years obviously they mean the best since Vauxhall. Bloody hell, this album is going to be amazing. I'm well stoked. Reckon I'll need to shell out for the deluxe version instead of the regular album the way things are looking. Reckon Moz will announce a couple of Irish dates sometime this year. If so I'll be there with the regular irregulars.

We can at least say the album isn't going to be utter tripe. I don't remember a Morrissey album where at least one of the reviews didn't say something along those lines, though. Mojo seems to give every Morrissey album four stars. But, by all means shell out.

I highly doubt anyone will book or insure him in the near future.

We can at least say the album isn't going to be utter tripe. I don't remember a Morrissey album where at least one of the reviews didn't say something along those lines, though. Mojo seems to give every Morrissey album four stars. But, by all means shell out.
Thanks. As long as you're sure. I'd hate to upset you.

Love the comment on 'Earth' about how the music is so compelling.
It's a cracking musical composition. Let's hope Gustavo sticks around.
The lyrics to that song are Moz on autopilot but that's no bad thing when the music is brilliant.
Good work, Mr Manzur!

Immediately reminded me of Beautiful Ones by Suede

"Drag acts, drug acts, suicides
in your dad's suits you hide
staining his name, again"

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom