Worst Morrissey song

What do people think the worst song Morrissey has recorded is?

For a long time it was probably 'Asian Rut', but at least that had the fact it annoyed people going for it, so that was a plus.

But surely now it has to be 'The Secret Of Music' from the last album? Pure shit.
Yes.

No problem.

We did something similar to this some time back entitled 'disasterpieces', which was a follow on to 'masterpieces'. Obviously it's all subjective, but while the general conclusion was that there were no 'disasterpieces' in Moz's extensive catalogue, there were certainly a few tracks which were close.

I'll throw these 2 into the ring for now:

• This Song Doesn't End When It's Over
  • All The Young People Must Fall in Love
I think that Lover To Be is infinitely worse than either of those songs.

At Last I Am Born
I just want to see the boy happy
The Kids A looker (because of the La La’s)
Every Day Is Like Sunday (liked it in the 90’s but they overplayed it way too much live and killed it for me)
Sorrow Will Come in the End

and honestly a lot more but I tend to just listen to the ones I like anymore

this last album isn’t relatable but very likable and listenable

At Last I Am Born
I just want to see the boy happy
The Kids A looker (because of the La La’s)
Every Day Is Like Sunday (liked it in the 90’s but they overplayed it way too much live and killed it for me)
Sorrow Will Come in the End

and honestly a lot more but I tend to just listen to the ones I like anymore

this last album isn’t relatable but very likable and listenable

Do you like the Studio in Session version of The Kid's A Looker?

For me, there has been too much average, run-of-the-mill tracks for around 15 years now. The ‘fillers’ are now even been given ‘single’ status which shows you how far things have fallen. I do often wonder with some fans, mainly new ones (but the odd old ones - Felton etc) who acclaim every song as fantastic, and each album a “work of art” Is it an act of defiance from said fans? Or, to just be noticed by Sham etc. Either way, dross has got wider scale each year since Quarry.

Sweetie Pie
America is not the World
Boy Crappy
I Knew I Was Next
Good looking man
Carol
People are the same
Kids a looker
Smiler with knife
Kick the bride
Mountjoy
I Bury The Living
My Live, I’d do.....
Who will protect us...
Girl from tel-aviv

that’s just some of (IMO)

For me, there has been too much average, run-of-the-mill tracks for around 15 years now. The ‘fillers’ are now even been given ‘single’ status which shows you how far things have fallen. I do often wonder with some fans, mainly new ones (but the odd old ones - Felton etc) who acclaim every song as fantastic, and each album a “work of art” Is it an act of defiance from said fans? Or, to just be noticed by Sham etc. Either way, dross has got wider scale each year since Quarry.

Sweetie Pie
America is not the World
Boy Crappy
I Knew I Was Next
Good looking man
Carol
People are the same
Kids a looker
Smiler with knife
Kick the bride
Mountjoy
I Bury The Living
My Live, I’d do.....
Who will protect us...
Girl from tel-aviv

that’s just some of (IMO)
I agree with a lot of those picks, but I strongly disagree with:
Sweetie Pie (especially the Mikey Farrell version)
Mountjoy - just an incredible song in every way to me
Good Looking Man About Town - always liked it
People Are The Same... great B-side funny lyric yet so true really - in the vein of modern music

Before "I'm not a dog on a chain" released it was Papa Jack . Now with no doubt it's Bobby, Don't You Think They Know?
It's the only Morrissey's song I can't stand . To be true , I really can't stand Thelma Houston vocal in this song . 🤷‍♂️

• The kids a looker
  • Who will protect us from the police
  • Israel ( almost unlistenable due to the lyrics)
  • People are there same everywhere
  • World peace is none of your beeswax
  • November the Second (ooh,deep cut!)

I can't agree with you re: TSOM, it's a great track; it's an unusual Moz track for sure, but boundary-pushing greatness & innovation.
i like the secret of music,the music is amost hypnotic,its different.

Worst tracks for me are..
The secret of music
Oboe conccerto
Mountjoy
Sweetie pie.......

I'd start with the entirety of LIHS.
Wash your mouth out with soap, ‘Home Is A Question Mark’ is a ripper as is ‘Israel.’

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom