Worst Moz/Smiths Covers

Denia

pirate wench
name the worst covers of moz/smiths songs you've ever heard.

for me it's:
my chemical romance's cover of "jack the ripper"
and
tatu's cover of "how soon is now?"

agree and disagree

Denia said:
name the worst covers of moz/smiths songs you've ever heard.

for me it's:
my chemical romance's cover of "jack the ripper"
and
tatu's cover of "how soon is now?"

mcr - HORRID.
tatu - quite liked.

as much as i love the decemberists, i think the colin melloy ep of covers was absolutely unlistenable. good guitarwork in "pregnant for the last time", though.

the death cab lyrics

On two bicycles
On a hillside desolate
Could nature make a man of me yet?

Under this charming calm
This charming man

Why ponder life's complexities
When the leather runs smooth
On the passenger seat?

I would go out tonight
But I haven't got a stitch to wear
This man said it's crucial
That someone so handsome should care

Ah ! I'm just a country boy
Who never knew his place
He said return the ring
He knows so much about these things

I would go out tonight
But I haven't got a stitch to wear
This man said it's crucial
That someone so handsome should care
La, la-la, la-la, la-la, this charming man ...
La, la-la, la-la, la-la, this charming man ...

Ah! I'm just a country boy
Who never knew his place
He said return the ring

I wouldn't think it could get any worse than a randomly selected track (worst = whichever song is playing) from that "screamo" album of covers someone once posted to the forum.

Aside from that, I strongly dislike Xiu Xiu's version of Asleep... which sounds, to the last note and quavering syllable, exactly as you would expect it to sound. :(

the death cab cover sounds very punky to be honest. in that sense its very interesting to listen to but changing the lyrics? now come on...

selfvalidation said:
the death cab cover sounds very punky to be honest. in that sense its very interesting to listen to but changing the lyrics? now come on...

i agree.

my band covered "accept yourself" years back, and i changed the lyrics to "i am my mother's oldest son, and i'm her desperate one". a truism that all my friends caught and gave me a thumbs up to, cos it's true. but the death cab lyrics just come off as misheard lyrics, rather than a clever update.

there's that heavy metal Smiths covers album - it's just a trashy and repugnant record

There was a cover of "I Know It's Over" by Emilie Autumn that was just horrible. It was actually amazing that she could take such a powerful song and somehow manage to suck out all of its emotional energy.

I blogged about it at the time, and got loads of hate mail from Emilie Autumn fans, the content of which only seemed to prove my point.

Back
Top Bottom