Ambitious Outsiders
The Harsh Truth of the Camera Eye
Sorrow Will Come In The End
This Is Not Your Country
Kick The Bride Down The Aisle
You’ve Had Her
Satellite of Love
Get Off The Stage

Talking of ‘Get Off The Stage’, if only he came on with that as his encore on the last night of the tour at the palladium. Would be a brilliant/ironic F You to those not too keen anymore

I do think Morrissey is the last person who should be pouring scorn on the armed forces because the threat we face from Isis, for instance, would put 'humasexuals' like him at the front of the queue to be thrown off buildings, so he might be glad we have armies at some point.

But, you know, that's what I like about this site - everybody's got an opinion and everybody's opinion is different from everybody else's. :)

Morrissey has always been one to think in terms of black and white whether it be about soldiers, police or judges. There are shades of gray after all that he leaves unexplored...50 I believe. ;):blushing:

I certainly hate other songs much more than Tony the Pony - I think my main dislike of it would be that it screams 'Will this do?' to me. But maybe that's true of most of his duds (including People are the Same).
It's a curious thing about Istanbul, I hated pretty much every track on World Peace (God knows I tried to love it) but when he played Istanbul live on BBC6 in October I was blown away by how good it was.

Indeed, the lyrics are just brilliant. I think in recent years he's been guilty of too many preachy "I, me, I think this, I think that" songs, and if done right they can have their own charm, but nothing beats when a songwriter tells a little short story in their lyrics. And that's what I feel with Istanbul, it really absorbs me into a snippet in time.

World Peace is flawed, but I actually quite like the album. I can warm to it a lot more than the recent record, which just feels very cold and empty to me.

Indeed, the lyrics are just brilliant. I think in recent years he's been guilty of too many preachy "I, me, I think this, I think that" songs, and if done right they can have their own charm, but nothing beats when a songwriter tells a little short story in their lyrics. And that's what I feel with Istanbul, it really absorbs me into a snippet in time.

World Peace is flawed, but I actually quite like the album. I can warm to it a lot more than the recent record, which just feels very cold and empty to me.
Yes, definitely overdone the preaching by some margin! And you're right, Istanbul is an engaging story.
I find more to like in LIHS than World Peace, but big chunks of it really don't do it for me - I particularly dislike the songs everybody seems to enthuse about - Home, I Wish You Lonely, My Love, Jacky, I Bury the Living, Police. Interesting that you use the words 'cold and empty' - I hadn't thought of it like that, but you're right, there is a detachment. Curious.

1. Asian Rut
2. Sorrow Will Come
3. Kid's a looker
4. Driving your girlfriend home
5. King Leer
6. Found Found Found
7. Mute Witness
8. Southpaw
9. The Teachers Are Afraid Of The Pupils
10. America is not the world
11. I have forgiven Jesus
12. Bury the living
13. Girl from Tel Aviv
14. Neal Cassady
15. Dear God Please Help Me
16. Smiler With Knife
17. Bengali in PLatforms
18. Michael's Bones

1. Papa Jack
2. Journalists Who Lie
3. Sorrow Will Come In the End
4. I Bury the Living
5. Moonriver
6. On the Streets I Ran
7. You Must Please Remember
8. He Cried
9. Because of My Poor Education
9. Oh Phoney
10. Asian Rut
11. Bengali In Platforms
12. The Kid's A Looker
13. Christian Dior
14. Born to Hang
15. Children In Pieces
16. Scandinavia
17. I'd Love To
18. People Are the Same Everywhere
19. America Is Not the World
20. Who Will Protect Us from the Police?

Encore:

Papa Jack
You Know I Couldn't Last
Papa Jack

This one could be the winner, though I quite like "On The Streets I Ran".

1. Asian Rut
2. Sorrow Will Come
3. Kid's a looker
4. Driving your girlfriend home
5. King Leer
6. Found Found Found
7. Mute Witness
8. Southpaw
9. The Teachers Are Afraid Of The Pupils
10. America is not the world
11. I have forgiven Jesus
12. Bury the living
13. Girl from Tel Aviv
14. Neal Cassady
15. Dear God Please Help Me
16. Smiler With Knife
17. Bengali in PLatforms
18. Michael's Bones

Yikes!

It suddenly struck me that if he's reading this thread it might give him some great ideas for his next show (knowing how much he loves a perverse move just to get us all scratching our heads).
I for one would HATE it if he did away with all the LIHS and WP material. It's the ONLY thing I'd go see him for.

I for one would HATE it if he did away with all the LIHS and WP material. It's the ONLY thing I'd go see him for.
Aha! Reverse psychology, great idea! That's bound to work. Personally I hope he never works with Johnny Marr ever again and extends Jesse's contract indefinitely.

Aha! Reverse psychology, great idea! That's bound to work. Personally I hope he never works with Johnny Marr ever again and extends Jesse's contract indefinitely.
Jesse is the best he's ever played with. Johnny WHO? Besides. The Smiths suck. Lyrically and musically. Everybody hates them, they're just too polite to say so.

Jesse is the best he's ever played with. Johnny WHO? Besides. The Smiths suck. Lyrically and musically. Everybody hates them, they're just too polite to say so.
I agree, total rubbish. No wonder nobody wants a reunion! They were bad enough the first time round! I mean, who needs Johnny 'snake' Marr and the fat smackhead when you've got Jesse and Mango?

I agree, total rubbish. No wonder nobody wants a reunion! They were bad enough the first time round! I mean, who needs Johnny 'snake' Marr and the fat smackhead when you've got Jesse and Mango?

If you are trying to suggest that The Years of Not Refusing Mariachi period was not his best than you are crazy :crazy:

Talking of ‘Get Off The Stage’, if only he came on with that as his encore on the last night of the tour at the palladium. Would be a brilliant/ironic F You to those not too keen anymore
But he's mates with The Rolling Stones now so that would not work besides he became that song himself.

If you are trying to suggest that The Years of Not Refusing Mariachi period was not his best than you are crazy :crazy:
When Last I Spoke to Carol is a masterpiece and definitely not silly pandering directly to the LA Latinx crowd!

When Last I Spoke to Carol is a masterpiece and definitely not silly pandering directly to the LA Latinx crowd!

Aztec Camera is the only one who truly gets him. People who disregard his insights into Moz's pasta eating, Malibu beach house and close relationship to Nancy Sinatra are turning their backs on the truth. Hoodies, Planet Hollywood jackets, and Nike ball caps really explain everything. Some people.

Aztec Camera is the only one who truly gets him. People who disregard his insights into Moz's pasta eating, Malibu beach house and close relationship to Nancy Sinatra are turning their backs on the truth. Hoodies, Planet Hollywood jackets, and Nike ball caps really explain everything. Some people.
He's right about potato tacos at least. Those things are delicious.

He's right about potato tacos at least. Those things are delicious.

I think it would be a good side thread to list who the top three people you would like to meet most from this site and why. Mine would be:

1. Aztec Camera
2. Benny the British Butcher
3. Brummie Boy

They all interest me to no end, and at the end of the day I may be meeting one, two or three different people. Who knows. All I do know is that they have been here for quite some time and I have gotten to know and appreciate their contributions whether I agree with or even understand their posts. I quite like people who stir up the pot otherwise it gets quite sticky at the bottom.

More than Aztec's posts I love reading the re-posts trying to reason with him and his crazy musings like he even has a desire to be reasoned with. I am positive that I am an outlier here, but that is where I am most comfortable.

I think it would be a good side thread to list who the top three people you would like to meet most and why from this site. Mine would be:

1. Aztec Camera
3. Brummie Boy

They all interest me to no end, and at the end of the day I may be meeting one, two or three different people. Who knows. All I do know is that they have been here for quite some time and I have gotten to know and appreciate their contributions whether I agree with or even understand their posts. I quite like people who stir up the pot otherwise it gets quite sticky at the bottom.

More than Aztec's posts I love reading the re-posts trying to reason with him and his crazy musings like he even has a desire to be reasoned with. I am positive that I am an outlier here, but that is where I am most comfortable.
1. Rifke
2. Countthree
3. Aztec Camera (G23 if AC is in rehab)

I think it would be a good side thread to list who the top three people you would like to meet most from this site and why. Mine would be:

1. Aztec Camera
3. Brummie Boy

That's a tough one. I'd get a hot beverage with Quando, I think.

Back
Top Bottom