Would it destroy you if....

Please

You found out that Morrissey was a marketing gimick manufactured by some mogul somewhere? 'Morrissey' was played by an actor whose real name was Justin Goodwood....

Would this really upset you, and if it was the case would you rather not be told?

Hmm, how odd. :p I think some questions are better left unpondered...

...but no, I don't think it'd destroy me, tho i'd feel a little cheated that I paid good money to see someone live in concert named Goodwood. :D

The question would be better put

"how much of a distance do you think there is between Morrissey the public figure and Morrissey the private individual?"

Endless ill-informed discussion may follow, but on the whole I think people would rather not have their illusions spoiled. Morrissey is well aware of this, knowing what it feels like to be a "fan" himself. His interest in my opinion has always been more about iconography than celebrity.

No, but can I have a few hits of whatever you're smoking?

Seriously... uhhh... no, that can't possibly be true. If he was master engineered by a music mogul, he would have been long over by now. The only "music mogul" who pulls Morrissey's strings is Morrissey. And he doesn't always do the best possible job of it... if he was greedy, or doing this just for the money, he wouldn't be turning down Smiths reunion offers, not even offers of $5 million, let alone the rumored $75 million.

The question would be better put

"how much of a distance do you think there is between Morrissey the public figure and Morrissey the private individual?"

Endless ill-informed discussion may follow, but on the whole I think people would rather not have their illusions spoiled. Morrissey is well aware of this, knowing what it feels like to be a "fan" himself. His interest in my opinion has always been more about iconography than celebrity.

Well i think that is a totally different question, mine laying more in the realms of fantasy (i hope).

Your question is slightly more realistic, i think there is a massive difference and it has been answered by Morrissey himself on a number of occasions

No, but can I have a few hits of whatever you're smoking?

Seriously... uhhh... no, that can't possibly be true. If he was master engineered by a music mogul, he would have been long over by now. The only "music mogul" who pulls Morrissey's strings is Morrissey. And he doesn't always do the best possible job of it... if he was greedy, or doing this just for the money, he wouldn't be turning down Smiths reunion offers, not even offers of $5 million, let alone the rumored $75 million.

I totally understand this and i don;t think there is an ounce of truth in what i posted, I was just posing the question, what if. What if it was all fake, how would you react

You found out that Morrissey was a marketing gimick manufactured by some mogul somewhere? 'Morrissey' was played by an actor whose real name was Justin Goodwood....

Would this really upset you, and if it was the case would you rather not be told?

He must have been a shitty actor, don't recall seeing him in the theater. ;)

Well, hypothetically speaking, then... the words were real. Someone wrote them, "Justin Goodwood" sang them. They affected me and entertained me and supported me. Morrissey is such a fantastic character (in the more literal meaning of the word fantastic) that he's almost too much to be believed, anyway.

Would I feel cheated? Maybe. Intrigued, yes. I'd want to meet whoever really wrote everything. Like Cyrano?

But I believe in Morrissey and always will.

Well at all the Morrissey gigs when Justin introduces the band most times he never remembers who he is? I think there must be other Goodwood theories out there too?

love

Grim

I totally understand this and i don;t think there is an ounce of truth in what i posted, I was just posing the question, what if. What if it was all fake, how would you react

I was actually pondering this very question last night.But i was shit faced at the time.:D

I would be destroyed, yes.

Then I'd burn every CD I own barring The Queen Is Dead, because "I Know It's Over" can't have been written by a fake anywhere anytime ever, and then gradually convince myself that Marr was the genius behind The Smiths all along :o

I would be destroyed, yes.

Then I'd burn every CD I own barring The Queen Is Dead, because "I Know It's Over" can't have been written by a fake anywhere anytime ever, and then gradually convince myself that Marr was the genius behind The Smiths all along :o

Arrrh but Marr aint his real name, dilemma continues!

love

Grim

I wouldn't care. I don't know him anyway. All I have is what he sings in the songs and that has little to do with the person who wrote them once the songs are public. These words talk about my life, and they still would even if they were written by Jesse McCartney (which more unlikely than your hypothesis)

Arrrh but Marr aint his real name, dilemma continues!

love

Grim

The plot thickens as it is revealed that Johnny is in fact, the long-lost brother of that bloke who used to drum for the Buzzcocks for a while....

Ha ha ha ha.
Has the person who made the thread been watching the
Twilight Zone, or what!;)

that's not a bad question. I'd be peed off, and I'd probably not listen to him again, at least for a while. I think I'd be better off not knowing, yeah.

Back
Top Bottom