Would Morrissey ever appear in an advert?

Two nights ago I was driving home listening to XFM Manchester, and the DJ was asking his listeners whether Iggy Pop and John Lydon had 'sold out' by doing their adverts for Life Insurance and Butter respectively.

Which got me thinking. Would Morrissey ever appear in an advert? Or would anyone from the advertising industry ever approach him in the first place?

And if he did lower himself to do an advert, what product could he promote?

Perhaps marmite, seeing as it's vegetarian and you either love it or you hate it.

It would probably be Peta.

No! thank god. He spoke about this to Janice Long, He said has had been offered a kit kat advert and strictly come dancing voice over in the past.
why would him do it?

I would love him to do one of those life insurance ones. "Life was great in the '80s...but now you're going to die. Have a carriage clock."

Does anyone remember that car commercial using a snippet of the guitars from How Soon is Now? It was a LONG time ago...maybe it was for a Nissan Maxima? Or something like that....I don't know my cars :o

Anyway, it was really dramatic, lots of b-roll of the car doing all sorts of fancy maneuvers with the massive swoosh of Johnny's guitar in the background. It was effective, for a car ad.

If I could live on Kit Kats I would...that would have been an interesting ad, to say the least. :horny: But I'm glad they don't use the music for advertising very often. Morrissey is so far beyond all that.

I prefer hearing the songs in movies :thumb:

I would be intrigued if he did a commercial for condoms.
Not really even saying anything, just sitting on a couch holding the box :D

I would be intrigued if he did a commercial for condoms.
Not really even saying anything, just sitting on a couch holding the box :D

Intrigued is the right word for it! :lbf:

Does anyone remember that car commercial using a snippet of the guitars from How Soon is Now? It was a LONG time ago...maybe it was for a Nissan Maxima? Or something like that....I don't know my cars :o

It was around 1999 or 2000. I remember where I was when it came on, because it made me cry.

It'd be interesting thing. Morrissey could be a good model for cars or even PETA. I would like to see Morrissey wearing good clothes on TV and saying; buy it.. you need it...

Anyway, it was really dramatic, lots of b-roll of the car doing all sorts of fancy maneuvers with the massive swoosh of Johnny's guitar in the background. It was effective, for a car ad.

If I could live on Kit Kats I would...that would have been an interesting ad, to say the least. :horny: But I'm glad they don't use the music for advertising very often. Morrissey is so far beyond all that.

I prefer hearing the songs in movies :thumb:

Technically it wasn't The Smiths who did the advert, their publishing company endorsed it to the car manufatuturer.

Glad it wasn't shown outside of the States.

Technically it wasn't The Smiths who did the advert, their publishing company endorsed it to the car manufatuturer.

Glad it wasn't shown outside of the States.

The publishing company only used the How Soon Now? melody excerpt. And If I'm not wrong, Smiths gained money with it.

He does several PETA advertisements, but I don't know if that is the same thing as what you are asking. I think that this has already been brought up, but I remember watching TV once and saw a football commercial with the Everyday is Like Sunday melody playing in the background. But I can't remember if it was a cover of the song or if it was his. If it was a cover, would the company and band using it still have to pay Morrissey or whoever runs all that jazz?

He does several PETA advertisements, but I don't know if that is the same thing as what you are asking. I think that this has already been brought up, but I remember watching TV once and saw a football commercial with the Everyday is Like Sunday melody playing in the background. But I can't remember if it was a cover of the song or if it was his. If it was a cover, would the company and band using it still have to pay Morrissey or whoever runs all that jazz?

I actually didn't see the ad, but some people reported that it's a cover version.

Of course Morrissey and Stephen Street were paid because they wrote the song.

Last edited:

It's so common, ins't it? We had cited the How soon is now? case. I could imagine anyone singning the Everyday's refrain on advert but the melody is very acceptable to this things.

Boz makes several songs for adverts all over his life. The most recent is a song done to Cilli Beans. And if I'm not wrong, he had made a song for TV called "Football giveaway"

Back
Top Bottom