X-mas day death of George Michael - '83 video of George & Morrissey on talk show together

I found this video of George Michael & Morrissey on British talk show, 8 Days a Week, critiquing Everything But The Girl's new album; the movie Break Dancing; a book on Joy Division; and 50's do-wop record reissues.. #GeorgeMichaelRIP

There's a funny story about Morrissey being typically opinionated about Ian Curtis in the Hacienda. Their manager, Rob Gretton - who was a big forceful guy and a bully - tells Morrissey you@re jealous of Ian Curtis because he had the guts to commit suicide, and you haven't. This must have struck a nerve with Morrissey because he gets up and runs of the club, inconsolably, crying and wailing with his hands flailing ...

I've read both his JD and Hacienda book twice,he's so honest and candid.

I'm sure a Moz fan would deny it's the truth but in a volume full of accurate reminisces, and Hooky taking every chance to do himself down if it's accurate.

The Hacienda one even has a funny story of Hooky being stopped by the police, giving the whole 'dont you know who I am?'... And the copper says he was a Smiths fan actually :D

George Michael took to the whole celebrity thing like a duck to water. He claimed to have been uncomfortable with it all but he seems in his element. I suppose it was when he tried, successfully, to reinvent himself as a "serious artist" that he decried all the celebrity stuff but here he shows he could have had a great career selling nonstick pans on QVC. To give him his use the Older album has a lot of good songs on it.
Morrissey is delightfully obstreperous and can't look anybody in the eye.
Were The Smiths ever reviewed on this "show"?

At least George Michael had the courage to make it official that he was gay if anything Morrissey can learn a thing from George Michael it doesn't matter if your gay or straight as long as your music is great it won't matter and it won't hurt your career. I think the majority of people who are on here know Morrissey is most likely gay but he just doesn't wanna say for whatever reason.

At least George Michael had the courage to make it official that he was gay if anything Morrissey can learn a thing from George Michael it doesn't matter if your gay or straight as long as your music is great it won't matter and it won't hurt your career. I think the majority of people who are on here know Morrissey is most likely gay but he just doesn't wanna say for whatever reason.

He was forced to make it public which gives us the message that it does actually matter. At least Moz has the courage to mind his own business and doesn't let the public dictate what he gives away of his private life.

He was forced to make it public which gives us the message that it does actually matter. At least Moz has the courage to mind his own business and doesn't let the public dictate what he gives away of his private life.

True but he could always have denied it or proclaimed bisexuality but he didn't he owned up to it. Believe me no one in the public or media is dictating Morrissey coming out, his celebrity star has drastically Waned since the smiths and early 90s. Also if he came come out he can still have a very private life. George Michael was a recluse as well and his fame far surpassed Morrissey's by leap and bounds and he lived a ver quite and private life except for his scandals which were his own faults if he had made wiser choices in what he was doing.

George found his 'courage' to 'come out' 16 years after his first single with Wham was released. He appeared to do ok prior to his toilet 'incident'.
Linking success and courage to how open you are about your sex life is utterly erroneous.
If you have an entitled mindset and feel knowing someone else's business is a requirement and the celebrity is somehow doing something wrong by not doing what YOU think they should - well perhaps YOU need the 'courage' to understand that how you process information is the issue not what people do behind closed doors.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
There's a funny story about Morrissey being typically opinionated about Ian Curtis in the Hacienda. Their manager, Rob Gretton - who was a big forceful guy and a bully - tells Morrissey you@re jealous of Ian Curtis because he had the guts to commit suicide, and you haven't. This must have struck a nerve with Morrissey because he gets up and runs of the club, inconsolably, crying and wailing with his hands flailing ...

Rob Gretton wasn't big, forceful or a bully.

He came out prior to the toilet incident. He didn't actually identify as gay at the beginning of his career, and didn't come out publicly until his mum died. Which may be a bit weak of him, but it's private business really.

Choosing to 'come out' at any point is nothing to do with weakness or strength. The expectation from the 'public' is what is at issue. George sold records whether people thought he was ginger beer or not (98 is cited as official 'outing' toilet or not) . Similarly, Moz has lived a comfortable life despite what people want to know or sadly feel entitled to know.
People should regin in their sad ego desires and 'need to know' and just respect the fact people can make music without discussing the thoughts in their heads seconds before orgasm.
The issue is always with the expectant commenter rather than Morrissey.
Regards,
FWD.

I note recently that the L G B T tag now has a Q on the end of it. Is that it now or will it keep increasing ?

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Why are you all going on about sexuality?

Watch the video. That is the subject.

Why doesn't Morrissey get more time to talk?

Read Peter Hook's three works on Gretton. He describes him as all three...
Yah but Hooky is an ego maniac belligerent caveman. You wouldn't want to believe too much of what he says. Bernard Sumner's autobiography is far more balanced and believable.

Carrie Fisher joined the list of the lost today. Obviously I didnt know her but I'm sad all the same. Trying to explain to the kids that Princess Leia died wasn't easy but they saw it on the news for a split second.

Little britain , allo allow , it crowd , Mr bean , only fools and horses .

f***ing hell you have bad taste . It's people like you who make England shit . You are obviously completely thick as and closed minded as well

Americans created Rock N Roll , Motown , hip hop .
Let's see for starters
As for music Elvis, The Doors , Velvets , Patti Smith, , New York Dolls , Simon and Garfunkel, Beach Boys , talking heads, blondie , Joni Mitchell, Rammons , Little Richard , Prince , Chuck Berry , muddy waters , Nirvana , Buddy Holly , Joni Mitchell , Magnetic Field s , gun club , perfume genius, The Gun Club , Alice Cooper , Janes Addiction , Suicide, the Go Gos, public enemy , Beastie Boys , on and on and on
Americans created Rock n Roll,

Comedy woody Allen , sienfeld, curb your enthusiasm, bilko , mash , dream on , Arrested development, Harold loyd ,
TV every great show for the last 15 years .
Films virtually ever great movie since 70s
Most of that is pure shite. Copied from UK artists who did it better. Woody Allen paedophile nerd. Most 'rock and roll' is cliched crap. I'm surprised you didn't list Springsteen too. But sure what would you expect from a pig but a grunt. Tis the season to be jolly so I'll desist from rattling your simian cage further.

George found his 'courage' to 'come out' 16 years after his first single with Wham was released. He appeared to do ok prior to his toilet 'incident'.
Linking success and courage to how open you are about your sex life is utterly erroneous.
If you have an entitled mindset and feel knowing someone else's business is a requirement and the celebrity is somehow doing something wrong by not doing what YOU think they should - well perhaps YOU need the 'courage' to understand that how you process information is the issue not what people do behind closed doors.
Regards,
FWD.
Exactly. I could never understand why anyone would be interested in the sexual orientation of their favourite singer or band or actor or whatever. It's irrelevant and if you somehow need strength from your idol 'coming out' then you must be in dire straights cos ultimately your idol doesnt know you or really give a toss.

I note recently that the L G B T tag now has a Q on the end of it. Is that it now or will it keep increasing ?

Oh hang on a minute we've left Steve out.
Updated it now stands at (takes deep breath) L G B T Q H 27/12/16 any advance on that ?

Why are you all going on about sexuality?

Watch the video. That is the subject.

Why doesn't Morrissey get more time to talk?

Because he can't string a single sentence together that makes any sense on the spot.
He needs everything in writing so he can have a couple of days to come across as being all mysterious and clever.
Technology and the Internet caught him out like a rabbit in headlights.:eyes::flashlight:

Regards,
FWD.

It's not about who he's shagging it's about being who you are and not hiding it like he's done over the decades and to say oh well it's his private life or whatever is just you people making excuses for the man and everything he does like the man can do no wrong. We live in a new era to be ok with who you are but if he wants to keep dwelling in the closet then that's fine because everyone else knows he's gay the sad part is he doesn't realize it. What's even more sad is you people encouraging a gay man not to come out all your doing is setting LGBT 30-40 years back with your attitudes.

Tags
1983 george michael rip talk show video

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom