"Years Of Refusal" review in MOJO magazine - March 2009

thecondy

• Nick Cave on (dark red) cover.
  • No mention of Moz review on cover.
  • Almost 1 page devoted to YOR review - a new (I think) photo of Moz takes up half of the page + writing fills the rest of the page (so not a very big review).
  • An average 3 out of 5 is given.
  • I've only had a quick glimpse but it seems to be along the same lines as the Q review, i.e. "It's not that this is a bad album but...", "quite a strong album but same old stuff from Moz" -type of review.
(For some reason I think the last line was something like "All this means his next album should be great." - but I can't remember in what context - sorry.)

So that's now Q + Mojo both giving YOR 3 out of 5.
Uncut review should be out next week.

Cheers.

Thanks, it'd be nicer if you could post a scan rather than give us summary.

• Almost 1 page devoted to YOR review - a new (I think) photo of Moz takes up half of the page + writing fills the rest of the page (so not a very big review).
  • I've only had a quick glimpse but it seems to be along the same lines as the Q review, i.e. "It's not that this is a bad album but...", "quite a strong album but same old stuff from Moz" -type of review.
(For some reason I think the last line was something like "All this means his next album should be great." - but I can't remember in what context - sorry.)

Cheers.

Thanks for that. It's a shame the album's getting these ratings.
I had high hopes for it. I expect that once we've heard all the songs from the YOR sessions (i.e. including b-sides) it'll be apparent that there could have been a much stronger album if he'd chosen the 10 best songs...

Kewpie! - How rude - I think what you meant to say was - Thank you very much for the summary - If you don't mind and you have the time could you do a scan for us please? - thank you.

learn some manners.

It sounds to me like thecondy was giving a resume of a read in a shop, rather than having a copy available to scan, and a scanner to do it.

Thanks for the contribution. I'm sure a scan will become available soon-ish. :)

Cheers.

thanks ,is it a new photo?

As I mentioned on Q review thread, the new Mojo (Nick Cave cover) also has a 6 page feature where Johnny Marr picks his favourite singles (that he likes, not that he's made) and there's a few Smiths anecdotes in there. Also the mojo website have details of an Undern The Influenece - type compilation Marr has done which I think you can download.

As for their YOR review, it's a bit smart-arsey (usual reviewer trying to appear more intelligent than his subject pitfalls) but by no means bad. Photo of the man lying on a pavement, nothing special.

I wonder if Johnny will pick one of Morrissey's songs.I'm not been funny, after all there are so many to choose from it seems unkind unless its his favourite 10 songs, if it's favourite 20...well

I wonder if Johnny will pick one of Morrissey's songs.I'm not been funny, after all there are so many to choose from it seems unkind unless its his favourite 10 songs, if it's favourite 20...well

Absolutely no chance! I don't think Marr has ever made a complimentary comment about Morrissey's solo songs apart from The Last of the Famous International Playboys. Sad but true.

Kewpie! - How rude - I think what you meant to say was - Thank you very much for the summary - If you don't mind and you have the time could you do a scan for us please? - thank you.

learn some manners.

English is not Kewpie's first language.. so I think she does remarkably well.
I sure couldn't post on a Japanse web site and be understood, how about you?

Anyway, her contributions, perfectly worded or not, are always undeniably in the style of Kewpie.

English is not Kewpie's first language.. so I think she does remarkably well.
I sure couldn't post on a Japanse web site and be understood, how about you?

Anyway, her contributions, perfectly worded or not, are always undeniably in the style of Kewpie.

well i think she sounded very ungrateful - someone had taken the time to post a summary but apparently that wasn't good enough - Her english seems fine - her manner do not.

well i think she sounded very ungrateful - someone had taken the time to post a summary but apparently that wasn't good enough

It's kind of like showing up on a new message board and asking for download links to everything that band has ever recorded. It's just not the way things are done.

Read it this morning. Apologies for not scanning it, but the review is by Roy Wilkinson (name rings a bell, veteran journeyman hack, possibly ex-NME). Reads like more of a 3/5 verdict than the Q review, and as mentioned before, it's incredibly smart-arsey (with the emphasis more on arse than smart). He seems to have a Stalin fetish, comparing Moz to Uncle Joe at least 3 times in the course of a very short review. :confused:
Overview is 'chugging along', Moz ploughing the same old, same old furrow.
Aint it funny but, that when 'peers' like Mojo cover star Nick Cave return to the same old themes again and again they are venerated and celebrated, (I can't recall the last time any British music publication put up such a hagiographic wank-piece on Moz as 'Mojo' have on Cave this month), but when Morrissey explores timeless themes, it's like 'change the record, love'. Throw in some old-testamentalism, heroin and blatant misogyny and these middle-class hacks will wet themselves.
As hard as Mr.Wilkinson must have worked on his review, I'm sure, it still wasn't as intellectually fascinating to me as the new photograph accompanying it, in which Morrissey sits alone on a roadside kerb, wearing a handsome watch on each wrist ! :cool:

Oh, and it's also worth reading for the review of the new Magazine anthology, as well as a cracking Bob Stanley-penned review of the new Vince Taylor 'Ace' compilation ~ 'Jet Black Leather Machine' !

This is the review and picture...sorry about the quality of the text but my scanner is crap at text. Also scanned are the two lovely Johnny pictures

File0059.jpg

File0056.jpg

File0058.jpg

Aint it funny but, that when 'peers' like Mojo cover star Nick Cave return to the same old themes again and again they are venerated and celebrated, (I can't recall the last time any British music publication put up such a hagiographic wank-piece on Moz as 'Mojo' have on Cave this month), but when Morrissey explores timeless themes, it's like 'change the record, love'. :

Too true, unfortunately.

Tags
reviews
Back
Top Bottom