YOR reviewed in Blender Magazine

• Thread starter Deleted member 4260
  • Start date
MASTER OF EMOTIONAL EXCESS OD'S ON LAYERS OF POP-PUNK EXCESS

Morrissey has excellent taste in haberdashery, grooming products and record production. His 9th solo album since snuffing out The Smiths is put out together like an exsquisite armoire, with expertise and elaborate execution. So "You Were Good in Your Time" begins with Morrissey's penetration croon, but by the end ambient voices are whispering in French. Elsewhere, his notorious eviscerating wit (It's Not Your Birthday Anymore, there's no need to be kind to you") competes for the foreground with an excess of musical flourishes, courtesty of Jerry Finn, who coaxed splashy hits out of California punks like blink-182. Some sublime songs prevail over the adornments: "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris" is a beautiful testament to his greatest theme, interminable loneliness. It's a rare moment on this Morrissey album when you can hear Morrisssey.
DOWNLOAD : "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris" "Something Is Squeezing My Skull"

(***Who wrote this? My old English Professor? Does he need to throw in in pretentious words in every single sentence? haberdashery, exsquisite armoire, eviscerating wit. Really? Really?***)

Not a bad review overall. I do agree with the comment about "when you can hear Morrissey" as the music does overpower his voice a tad on this album.
Ok, my fingers hurt now..:)

nice review! i like the mild pretention too, hah, it's not nonsensical or anything.

i wonder though, when it says "a rare moment when you can hear Morrisssey" if they meant thematically or vocally. because my first thought was thematic. i mean, his voice is superbly showcased on 'you were good in your time'... so hmm...

I'm suprised that he mentioned Jerry Finn, but no mention of his passing.

the review differs from them giving it 3 stars.

its an at least 4 star review.

Tags
reviews
Back
Top Bottom