"you are the quarry" & "you are the magic"

S

Stephen

I'm sure this has been talked about on here already, & maybe it's a stupid question, but I don't keep up with Marr at all, so I don't understand the whole issue. I gather that he recently wrote a tribute to Morrissey called You Are the Magic. Being a Morrissey fan, I have his new album with a similar title. Now I know they don't get along, but this seems just plain sad to me. Why couldn't he have just responded with silence? That would have been cold enough, in my opinion. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the implications of the whole thing. If anyone could clear it up for me I'd appreciate it.

> I'm sure this has been talked about on here already, & maybe it's a
> stupid question, but I don't keep up with Marr at all, so I don't
> understand the whole issue. I gather that he recently wrote a tribute to
> Morrissey called You Are the Magic. Being a Morrissey fan, I have his new
> album with a similar title. Now I know they don't get along, but this
> seems just plain sad to me. Why couldn't he have just responded with
> silence? That would have been cold enough, in my opinion. Or maybe I'm
> misunderstanding the implications of the whole thing. If anyone could
> clear it up for me I'd appreciate it.

Sorry stephen but what exactly are you refering to?

What I meant

> Sorry stephen but what exactly are you refering to?

Well isn't the album title a deliberate insult, that functions as a political statement, but is also a resentful pun on You Are the Magic, & probably specifically meant to hurt Marr?

Re: What I meant

> Well isn't the album title a deliberate insult, that functions as a
> political statement, but is also a resentful pun on You Are the Magic,
> & probably specifically meant to hurt Marr?

oh my! you're probably going to think I am totally daft but was "you are the magic" penned/composed/written by johnny Marr? I have never heard of this before

article here

http://www.magicalblend.com/library/readingroom/articles/johnny.html

Johnny's perspective -- Wow.

So it looks like Johnny Marr wrote "You are the Magic" first -- and what a compliment it is, apparently! It could be taken to be about a magical songwriting partnership.

A few of Johnny's quotes from the article:
"'You Are the Magic' is one of my favorite pieces that I have ever done. I really like the word 'magic.' With this particular song, the music suggested sensuality to me. Because I am writing the parts, words, and music, I included this sensuality within the song. The words are very simple, but seem right to me and convey what I wanted to express, which was the telepathy and rapport that two people can build up. It doesn't have to be necessarily physical, but just contact between two people. In an erotic and sexual sense, I like to think of it as a mantra... to me, saying 'You are the magic' is the highest compliment that you could pay someone, and you might as well say it 25 times."

Back
Top Bottom