"Your Arsenal" (remastered) released (UK - Feb. 24, 2014; US - Feb. 25)

Your Arsenal: Remastered album released today in the UK and tomorrow in the US - true-to-you.net

Parlophone Records' remaster of Morrissey's Your Arsenal is released today in the UK and tomorrow in the US. The album is available from online music stores and other retailers.

Your Arsenal is on CD, heavyweight gatefold vinyl LP, and digital download formats. The CD format comes with a bonus DVD of Morrissey's concert at the Shoreline Amphitheatre in Mountain View, California, on October 31st, 1991.

your_arsenal_sleeve_artwork1.jpg

Review (7.3) by Douglas Wolk - Pitchfork. Link posted by Thewlis.
Review by Matthew Foster - The Quietus. Link posted by Thewlis.
Review - The Mouth Magazine. Link posted by an anonymous person.
Review by Fergal Kinney - Louder Than War. Link posted by fergal_41.

Buy at Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Anything can beat Years Of Refusal. At least Morrissey won't be ending on that terrible album.

Yes, but are we not here due to years of refusal? It is never so simple. Some day. One day. xx

I like the DVD very much, it take us really back to Morrissey in the early nineties.
very nice
I never really got the hate for years of refusal. I wouldn't say it's Morrissey's worst. I'd rate years a refusal, as a whole, better than yatq personally. quarry has some really amazing songs but I wouldn't say it's amazing as a whole.

As usual, Australia is a 3rd world back water country where we aren't allowed to have nice things. Won't resort to itunes for this (whats the point of getting a remaster if it's just going to compressed to hell?) Anywhere online that I could buy/obtain it? I checked Amazon and "this is not available in your country", seriously f*** this place.

As usual, Australia is a 3rd world back water country where we aren't allowed to have nice things. Won't resort to itunes for this (whats the point of getting a remaster if it's just going to compressed to hell?) Anywhere online that I could buy/obtain it? I checked Amazon and "this is not available in your country", seriously f*** this place.

Maybe...

But, 'level of musical ability'? Sorry, but that's rose-tinted ears friend. The band are shocking. At that point. Clearly they went on to far greater heights, but, on that tour, it was not at all about musical ability. It was about pure pop madness.

Fair point, after a rewatch it did become apparent that my initial enthusiasm was related more to the era and time than the sound emanating from the TV, even so I’ll return to this more than the Morrissey 25 DVD which has only had the single spin thus far.

Waldo.

Yes, but are we not here due to years of refusal? It is never so simple. Some day. One day. xx

Ermm. I'm here due to The Smiths mainly and some of Morrissey's solo work till 1997. Years Of Refusal was terrible. I don't quite understand what you meant :confused:

Here's a review in Vive Le Rock magazine from someone who looks to be The Members' Nicky Tesco. There can't be that many Nick Tescos about.

D9zzXaf.jpg

P.

Agreed. The band was atrocious at that time. Could hardly play and did stadium shows on equipment more suited for pub gigs. But they had energy, passion and a gang mentality that made everything work somehow. They were a BAND - something that has been sadly lacking in the revolving door of muscular american studion musicians that is Mozzas "band" these days...

To paraphrase, "they were shite, they're still shite" ?
Yet you haven't found anything better to do with your time?

Ermm. I'm here due to The Smiths mainly and some of Morrissey's solo work till 1997. Years Of Refusal was terrible. I don't quite understand what you meant :confused:

And, yet, here you are. Still.
The Mittens turned holey and were tossed (albeit prematurely) and 1997 was a lifetime ago.
Yet, here you are. Still.

Why? What do you want? What do you expect? What do you hope for? What do you need?
Do you still believe or still belittle? As a little belief allows one to be... oneself.

You and I are still here. M is still here.
Years of refusal so to do things as we/he see(s) fit, not kowtowing, whether it be right or (more likely in many eyes) wrong.
Staying true. xx

The Mittens turned holey and were tossed (albeit prematurely)

??? "The Mittens?" Is that a band that split up too soon or something? Like the Smiffs?

About the "band" thing...Believing is very nice, but I've just consulted my bandvibometer, taking into account location and other parameters (tranquil foreign studio, aubergines, courgettes etc), and it stills reads 0.2. It's probably just because Joe Chicarelli made pasta.

That absence of vibes only happens when there is no energy flowing between people. When people are paid to do a job and just to it, and there's no real personal involvement, or only the one you would expect from a zealous employee.

Of course you can still make music without being a band. It's a free country. Actually it'd be interesting to ask Morrissey's musicians how they are currently feeling...Maybe it'd make the arrow budge a bit...Mmm.

No. Stuck. Bizarre. Maybe it's broken? -But no, it's not, I concentrate and think of the recording of Southpaw Grammar and it reads 6.7! See! When I think of Johnny Marr and Morrissey in front of that fireplace, in another life, I get 8.2...etc...So, no, it's definitely them...
Being paid to make music. Not a bad job. Wouldn't have turned it down either. But it's not...It's never going to be...You know?

Note that if there's a guest we don't know about, that could bring a bit of life, like Vince Taylor, Taylor Swift or Mort Shuman, then there's still hope.

The owners of this studio turned down Jay-Z though, so probably not him. Shame. As Will I Am says on the Voice, "to take you out of your comfort zone, y'know..."

YOR had quite bad lyrics I can't stand things like:

"...Then came an arm around my shoulder, well surely the hand holds a revolver?..." or "Sorry doesn't help us" and "You were good in your time"

but the highlights are: Mama lay softly, Black cloud and B-sides, "Because of my poor education", "Shame is the name" and "My dearest love" those (the B-sides are the best of Morrissey last songs really)

Word of caution for "high quality" mavens: the DVD is just a tick above bootleg quality. It does a fair job in capturing the madness of the era but, at times, the overall sound mix is suspect. I would venture to say it's even rawer than "Live In Dallas." I was unexpectedly pleased by some of the performances, as in they were excellent versions of songs I don't generally rate highly (specifically, "Asian Rut" and "My Love Life").

It is interesting to note how Alain would often get stick for making mistakes live, at least early on. In this performance, Boz is responsible for a number of clangers. I also wonder how much of the blame can lie in the abilities and preparation of the road crew. It seems like there were lots of equipment issues on that tour - and not necessarily due to stage scrums.

I haven't listened to the CD yet, but there is a nice Rene Montfourny (sp?) picture on the back cover and the gatefold of the CD is a b&w Cummins band shot. A la the original release, the band are also credited on the back cover. It's a small thing, but, after the autobiography, I was prepared for more history erasure on a reissue.

Word of caution for "high quality" mavens: the DVD is just a tick above bootleg quality. It does a fair job in capturing the madness of the era but, at times, the overall sound mix is suspect. I would venture to say it's even rawer than "Live In Dallas." I was unexpectedly pleased by some of the performances, as in they were excellent versions of songs I don't generally rate highly (specifically, "Asian Rut" and "My Love Life").

I've had the bootleg video from Smithstorrents for awhile and it's always been one of my favorites. As you noted, I can't see a huge difference in quality between it (even in bootleg form) and Live In Dallas, which I also love and will take to my grave. That stuff over 25Live any day...not to knock the newer songs or anything but that Kill Uncle tour was just so goddamn clumsy and raw, and those guys had so much energy and camaraderie together and you could see in their eyes they were having the time of their lives. Morrissey included. I'll gladly take a huge dip in sonic/visual quality if it's made up for with that kind of thing.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom