Your favourite Morrissey lyric

First of all, I will say ESD, welcome from a fellow Essex person (I don't know what the term is!) and you have my instant admiration for actually having the courage to live in Basildon.

Secondly, there are so many lyrics it's hard to pick a favourite. I've always like the way The Hand That Rocks The Cradle reads and scans.

In my opinion, Kill Uncle is possibly Morrissey's most underrated solo effort and some of the vignettes and melodies on there are excellent.

I am struggling to think of a predominant lyric though. "Hand in glove, the sun shines out of our behinds" isn't a bad way to start a career! I also like "A double bed, and a stalwart lover for sure/These are the riches of the poor", "Well I wonder, do you hear me when you sleep?/I hoarsely cry, please keep me in mind" and "I smoke 'cos I'm hoping for an early death/And I need to cling to something." MiM is The Smith's best album lyrically. Morrissey at the top of his game.

*Goes and puts Meat is Murder on*

is it sacreligious to say that I love Moz and love The Smiths but 'There is a Light' is not actually one of my favourites?

It's not one of mine either, but I can be a contrary bastard!

First of all, I will say ESD, welcome from a fellow Essex person (I don't know what the term is!) and you have my instant admiration for actually having the courage to live in Basildon.

I actually live in Romford, it's just that The Hanging Gardens of Romford doesn't work so well, lol. How about you Unruley one?

I will not change, and I will not be nice

Such a little thing makes such a big difference. Indeed they do.

"And you find that you've organised your feelings for people who didn't like you then and do not like you now".

"I will roar from the stalls
I will gurgle from the circle"

Always made me laugh - the thought of going to the theatre and gurgling in the middle of a show! :D

Although I'm not sure if that's what Moz meant!

That's probably the nicest thing anyone's said to me! I would stress though that we're only 8 per cent of the way through this century.

Jet trails in the sky
Leave one word behind
A hand bangs into sand a name
And we all understand

Everybody's lost, but they're pretending they're not lost

I always put 'Lost' on when I've had a shit day or my boss have given me a hard time. It sort of says 'Look, there's no point in getting hung up over that stuff'.

" policewomen, policemen, silly women, taxman - uniformed whores
educated criminals work within the law" The World is Full of Crashong Bores

"Most people keep their brains
Between their legs
(Don't you find ?) - Such a Little Thing Makes Such a Big Difference

There are so many...

Life is Never Kind~from I don`t owe you anything

I am a poor freezingly cold soul so far from where I intended to go ~from Seasick Yet Still docked

And if double decker bus crashes into us to die by your side is such a heavenly way to die~from TILTNGO

All Of Asleep

It`s so easy to laugh it`s so easy to hate it takes strength to be gentle and kind`~from I know It`s over

There are just so many I could list here but then this post would never end.Morrissey is a genius!

i don't even think i can think of lyrics i don't like!:confused::p
aside from the ones posted already, here are some that really stand out for me:

'And you think they're sad because you're leaving
But did you see jealousy in the eyes
Of the ones who had to stay behind ?'
-London

'She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"'
-Queen is Dead

'But don't forget the songs
That made you cry
And the songs that saved your life
Yes, you're older now
And you're a clever swine
But they were the only ones who ever stood by you'
-Rubber Ring

'God, how sex implores you
To let yourself lose yourself'
-Stretch Out and Wait

i really could go on for ages.

Choosing my favorite lyrics would take some time and research but, the first one that popped into my head were from Wonderful Woman.
Leave it Moz to make a song about a vicious person into something so amusing.

Ice water for blood
With niether heart or spine

Let's go and trip a dwarf
Lets go and rob the blind

What an evil bitch

But it always makes me laugh.

Last edited:
Geez, it's difficult to pick a favourite. I'd really just love to be vague and say all of them and be done with my post, that's the truth in all actuality, but I won't. :p

Bengali In Platforms - "Life is hard enough when you belong here"

Miserable Lie - "So goodbye, please stay with your own kind, and I'll stay with mine..."

You've Got Everything Now - " But Did I ever tell you, by the way, I never did like your face"

Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now - "In my life why do I smile at people who I'd much rather kick in the eye"

Speedway - "When you try to break my spirit, it won't work because there's nothing left to break, anymore"

Seasick, Yet Still Docked - "My love is as sharp as a needle in your eye
You must be such a fool to pass me by"

This Charming Man - "Punctured bicycle on a hillside desolate, Will nature make a man of me yet?" :D "Why pamper life's complexities when the leather runs smooth on the passenger seat?"

The title of the song itself, "What Difference Does It Make?"

Sheila, Take A Bow - "Boot the grime of this world in in the crotch, dear" :D
and " Throw your homework onto the fire" especially that one. :p

If You Don't Like Me, Then Don't Look At Me - "If you don't like me, then don't look at me" If only I had the guts to say this to some people....:rolleyes: Actually I do have them, but I'd probably get a kick in the butt for it. Wait, when did I start caring?? haha :p

Sister, I'm A Poet - "And I wonder, does anybody feel the same way I do?"

The Loop - "I just wanna say I haven't been away...I've been right here where I always was"

Last edited:
Of many favorites

"Rejection is one thing but rejection from a fool is cruel"

"A symbol of where sex mad lovers (or mad mad lovers) must pause and (or always) draw the line..." (depending on live or other version)

"When you look at me you actually see me"

"You and I just smile because we're thinking the same line"

"And me and my heart, we just knew...."

Just a few gems...
Driving Your Girlfriend Home-
"So how did I end up
So deeply involved in
The very existence
I planned on avoiding ?"
You've Got Everything Now-
A friendship sadly lost ?
Well this is true ... and yet, it's false
I Want the One I Can't Have
On the day that your mentality
Catches up with your biology

I drempt about you last night and fell out of bed twice

or my favorite-

Im so tired, Im just tired, and Im feeling very sick and Ill today

I drempt about you last night and fell out of bed twice

or my favorite-

Im so tired, Im just tired, and Im feeling very sick and Ill today

Very good choices! I love these two lines....

Thought of some more today...

Still Ill - "And if you must go to work tomorrow, well if I were you I wouldn't bother...for there are brighter sides to life and I should know because I've seen them but not very often "

How true those lines are.

Accept Yourself - "how dearly I'd love to get carried away, but dreams have a knack of just not coming true, and time is against me now"

Oh yes, and one that I can never forget:

Tomorrow - various lines from this songs, but at the moment, "Tomorrow will it really come? And if it does come will I still be human?"

By the way, welcome themuted!! Nice to have you with us. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom