YouTube: Denise Johnson - "Well I Wonder" (October 2, 2020)

I think that some people just shouldn't be covered. Morrissey is one of them.

Mark E. Smith is another.

Yes, I can agree with that. Especially Smith.

But we can’t stop them ! :lbf:

I made a new friend in 1992. He was obsessed with Bowie. We fell out in the end: his girlfriend admired cancer research and I contested that it was killing more beings than it saved.

It was at the start of my Morrissey fascination, and he knew loads about music, and I asked him about The Smiths’ best ever song. In an instant he answered Well I Wonder. He was from Manchester, he didn’t like Morrissey, he found him too conservative (in 1992) and he might well have been right. About the song, obviously.

Your former friend had a good taste in music. But if he found Morrissey already too conservative in 1992, then he must really hate him now.

Your former friend had a good taste in music. But if he found Morrissey already too conservative in 1992, then he must really hate him now.

Only if he's too old to have noticed the chaos in the wings! :swear

I'll punt my thread of ways in which Moz has been misunderstood:

Very good cover but it did have some missing for me, whereas this version for a cover hits the spot perfectly.

This is a truly beautiful cover version of "Well I Wonder". The ladies voice is so pure it has a folk feel about it. Is the singer called Sara Lov? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sara_Lov

I try to listen to only Morrissey as a SOLO artist because of all the bad feelings to do with The Smiths. But credits where credits due. Nothing really compares to Morrissey's vocals though! To be honest what happened in The Smiths makes me feel sick. I don't know how Morrissey got through it.

I don't think Morrissey was close to Denise Johnson at all he hasn't talked about her or paid tribute to her. But there is obviously a lot of love out there for Denise Johnson and she died relatively young which is sad. I hope and pray she is now at peace with Lord Jesus in Heaven. I prefer her to Rowetta who is openly hostile about Morrissey. Tim Burgess also doesn't like Morrissey.

Dave Haslam who is a known hater of Morrissey one of the worst was at Denise Johnson's funeral:

Last edited:
Can I have the number I’m reporting reelfountain and SS HOFMANN to the police and solo bosses , I’ve had enough on here hovis , it’s always been a pleasure chatting with you , alas enough is enough, I’m not happy with what’s going on here so I’ll say my good byes to all ....... it’s been a ball ....... the racists have won !! Solo has spawned some monsters xxxxxxxxxxxxx goodbye all
I think a lot of people feel that way, especially those who have been following this site for years, decades; but if you leave, the racist c***s win. Just take a breath, then take your own advice and ignore them. Smith/Morrissey music is too important to abandon. Even people who are frustrated with some of Moz's political views can still appreciate and share the beauty of the art. There are many people on here who enjoy connecting with others who truly appreciate the work, not who come here just to spew their hateful propaganda. Take care, come back.

Can I have the number I’m reporting reelfountain and SS HOFMANN to the police and solo bosses , I’ve had enough on here hovis , it’s always been a pleasure chatting with you , alas enough is enough, I’m not happy with what’s going on here so I’ll say my good byes to all ....... it’s been a ball ....... the racists have won !! Solo has spawned some monsters xxxxxxxxxxxxx goodbye all
See you here next week.

Remember that Morrissey considers it an honor to be covered by other artists.

really? an honor ?

Guess it depends on how he would define what an artist is to him.

Maybe at the time he was honored to have Bowie cover one of his songs.

But, youtubers? He may be more amused by it. And maybe thankful
when he comes across a cover that he actually likes, which I’m sure must be a rare thing.

Thanks for the well-wishes everyone. With my dying breath, I'd like to reinforce the fact that t.A.T.u. are responsible for the only good Smiths cover. Goodnight and thank you.

What a drama queen.

I think a lot of people feel that way, especially those who have been following this site for years, decades; but if you leave, the racist c***s win. Just take a breath, then take your own advice and ignore them. Smith/Morrissey music is too important to abandon. Even people who are frustrated with some of Moz's political views can still appreciate and share the beauty of the art. There are many people on here who enjoy connecting with others who truly appreciate the work, not who come here just to spew their hateful propaganda. Take care, come back.
Can I report carlislebaz to the hypocrite and self-righteous police? I am giving him a head start by giving him the opportunity to know in advance and not report him behind his back. :rolleyes: Seriously though, like Hovis said, he'll be back next week. No one can truly abandon The Smiths or Morrissey outright because together they have set the standard by reinforcing the success of the litmus test. Solo's mere existence to this day proves it. Whether The Smiths or Morrissey are loved or hated, people still come...and so do the accolades and controversy. And they will still continue to come, good or bad.

Thanks for the well-wishes everyone. With my dying breath, I'd like to reinforce the fact that t.A.T.u. are responsible for the only good Smiths cover. Goodnight and thank you.
I need to disagree with you urgently. Can you please suspend your death throes.

You’re right — their condolence tweet was ripped hard by a lot of people.
But I can’t seem to fund the root of their falling out. Did it start before the charity album issue or was that what damaged relations?

Pity they tried to write her out of their history when they did the Give Up... rerelease and documentary.
Their tweet when she passed was also seemingly lacking in true empathy.
Left a sour taste with many esp Terry Christian

I think that some people just shouldn't be covered. Morrissey is one of them.

Mark E. Smith is another.

I am not in love with this cover of Well, I wonder... but it's not terrible either. It's simply something that could sound somewhere and it would not upset me, but I would not pay much attention to it either.

I like the few covers that managed to take the songs somewhere else, instead of trying to become a replica... Xiu Xiu has two very nice covers:

.... Of course, some people will hate them, but I like how the songs sound with such a different style...
And they are nice.

Oh, more or less a year ago I wanted to make a promo clip for a dance class of my girlfriend, so I used a song by Xiu Xiu as the background music, but Youtube automatically censored it (muted it actually) because of copyright claims. So I wrote to ‎Jamie Stewart‎ (singer of Xiu Xiu) asking him if he could help me... Hw sent a signed note to youtube and a copy to me giving me the permission to use the song. That was super nice, because most people would simply not reply or maybe send a quick "I am sorry, I don't have time to write a silly note to youtube. Be well". So he is officially super cool according to my standards*.

*Yes, that's unrelated to the thread, but we are not going places with an average cover of Well, I wonder... though I am sad that she died, even if I was not really a fan**.

** That's also a bit unrelated to the thread.

*** I don't really remember right now covers of The Fall that I like.

really? an honor ?

Guess it depends on how he would define what an artist is to him.

Maybe at the time he was honored to have Bowie cover one of his songs.

But, youtubers? He may be more amused by it. And maybe thankful
when he comes across a cover that he actually likes, which I’m sure must be a rare thing.

I remember reading in a Morrissey interview that he felt flattered that artists were covering his songs, but impossible to find it back though. Anyway, as you may remember, Central once posted lots and lots of covers of Morrissey songs by other artists, so it is hard to imagine he's against them. Having an artist cover one of your songs, regardless whether it is done properly or poorly, is a sign that your song meant something or inspired someone.

I remember reading in a Morrissey interview that he felt flattered that artists were covering his songs, but impossible to find it back though. Anyway, as you may remember, Central once posted lots and lots of covers of Morrissey songs by other artists, so it is hard to imagine he's against them. Having an artist cover one of your songs, regardless whether it is done properly or poorly, is a sign that your song meant something or inspired someone.
He was quite disparaging about Natalie Merchant’s ‘go’. And that was actually quite good.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom