The Morrissey-solo Wiki is a continual work in progress, most of the data still needs to be populated. See the To Do page if you want to help.
Paint A Vulgar Picture
|THE SMITHS song|
|Name||Paint A Vulgar Picture|
|Album/single||Strangeways, Here We Come|
5:40 (Monitor Mix)
5:38 (Studio Outtake)
Assisted by Morrissey & Johnny Marr
- An alternate take of this song appears on The Smiths – Unreleased Demos & Instrumentals bootleg LP.
At the record company meeting On their hands - a dead star And oh, the plans they weave And oh, the sickening greed
At the record company party On their hands - a dead star The sycophantic slags all say : "I knew him first, and I knew him well"
Re-issue! Re-package! Re-package! Re-evaluate the songs Double-pack with a photograph Extra track (and a tacky badge)
A-list, playlist "Please them , please them !" "Please them !" (sadly, this was your life)
But you could have said no If you'd wanted to You could have said no If you'd wanted to
BPI, MTV, BBC "Please them ! Please then!" (sadly this was your life)
But you could have said no If you'd wanted to You could have walked away ...Couldn't you?
I touched you at the soundcheck You had no real way of knowing In my heart I begged "Take me with you ... I don't care where you're going..."
But to you I was faceless I was fawning, I was boring Just a child from those ugly new houses Who could never begin to know
Who could never really know Oh...
Best of! Most of! Satiate the need Slip them into different sleeves! Buy both, and feel deceived
Climber - new entry, re-entry World tour! ("media whore") "Please the Press in Belgium!" (This was your life...)
And when it fails to recoup ? Well, maybe : You just haven't earned it yet, baby
I walked a pace behind you at the soundcheck You're just the same as I am What makes most people feel happy Leads us headlong into harm
So, in my bedroom in those 'ugly new houses' I danced my legs down to the knees But me and my 'true love' Will never meet again...
At the record company meeting On their hands - at last! - A dead star ! But they can never taint you in my eyes No, they can never touch you now
No, they cannot hurt you, my darling They cannot touch you now But me and my 'true love' Will never meet again
Play count (The Smiths concert): 0
Play count (Morrissey concert): 46
Morrissey live history:
- Albuquerque, New Mexico 1997-10-24 (Morrissey concert)
- Ann Arbor, Michigan 1997-09-24 (Morrissey concert)
- Atlanta, Georgia 1997-11-15 (Morrissey concert)
- Boston, Massachusetts 1997-09-14 (Morrissey concert)
- Boulder, Colorado 1997-11-02 (Morrissey concert)
- Chester, England 1997-12-11 (Morrissey concert)
- Chicago, Illinois 1997-09-26 (Morrissey concert)
- Cincinnati, Ohio 1997-11-19 (Morrissey concert)
- Claremont, California 1997-10-26 (Morrissey concert)
- Cleveland, Ohio 1997-09-21 (Morrissey concert)