‘Pigsty’ has won the downloading vote (please read)

Tbevie

Girl afraid
Okay the poll has ended and the results are as follows:

Life is a Pigsty - 29.10%
National front disco - 24.18%
Meat is Murder - 16.80%

See full results
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=67169&page=4

We only had 244 votes. Obviously this isn’t going to be enough downloads to get Moz into the charts.

I have contacted and left comments on most of the Moz/Smiths related livejournals, on Pretty Petty thieves (moz web site) smithstorrents, and a few kind people here have left comments on Morrissey’s myspace page.

A few people have suggested that if we chose ‘Meat is Murder’ then we could try and get Peta and the Vegetarian society involved.

Do you think this will give us a better chance of achieving our goal or do you want to go with the poll winner ‘Life is a pigsty’ and spend the next week trying to spread the word and getting as many people involved as possible. It did win the poll fair and square after all.

I would appreciate your opinion on this.

Can I just ask that when making you comments please try to put aside which song you voted for or which song you like best. Try to base you choice on which song you think has the better chance of getting into the charts.

Also I was thinking we could start the downloading on Monday 29th of January and continue it through to the 3rd of February. That would give us all of next week to let people know the chosen song and the date that the download will take place. This should give everyone enough time to prepare fOR it.

Do you all agree with this or do you think we should do it earlier or later?

A few people have suggested that if we chose ‘Meat is Murder’ then we could try and get Peta and the Vegetarian society involved.[/QUOTE

Good point, but on the other hand, the choice of a Smiths, rather than a solo song raises those Mike Joyce/royalty issues. Do we want to risk stirring all that up again?

I'd be more than happy to download this song, or any other Moz song. The royalties issue is an excellent point, and that's a road not worth going down perhaps.

However, I think we have to download it from a UK based online shop in order to get it into the UK charts, is that right? I wouldn't know where to start, so please post a link to appropriate download sites when it becomes "official".

As for having 244 people respond to the poll, don't worry or feel disheartened about that. Perhaps some people didn't respond but read it and are interested, and other people simply don't read the forums, etc. I'd say for every person who voted, you'd have 2 or 3 who didn't, but would be interested in the cause!! It takes barely 2000 sales to get a UK Number 1 single, which is a pretty low number in the grand scheme of things.

I think we should stick with Pigsty.

If we all download it a couple of times each, and post bulletins on myspace and other sites it should be worth a go. When I Just Want To See The Boy Happy came out i posted loads of bulletins and got replies from people who said that they had downloaded it as it was only 79p for a good cause etc.

ok if we go with pigsty, does anyone know exactly which d/l site will be used for the chart?
Woolies are doing d/l's for 79p a go...
So if all 244 voters say d/l 5 times each we are looking at 1220. If a few others also d/l it that didn't vote & those from other sites maybe even if they only do it once we are looking at around 1500 tops eh? We'll need a really shit release week from other pop people eh?
Do you think they'll bother that there are 5 d/l's from one computer, knowing that 1 is enough eh?
Oh dear!

love

Grim

Woolworths and itunes do downloads for 79p and it definately counts towards the charts from those sites. It doesnt matter how many times each person downloads it as long as its paid for, its just the same as if you went into HMV and bought 10 cd singles.

I think we should stick with Pigsty as well. First of all that's what most of us chose. Then there is this Joyce-issue... and last but not least I truly believe that getting Pigsty some airplay would make Morrissey extremely happy because he's very proud of the song.

I think we should stick with Pigsty as well. First of all that's what most of us chose. Then there is this Joyce-issue... and last but not least I truly believe that getting Pigsty some airplay would make Morrissey extremely happy because he's very proud of the song.

I voted for NF Disco. About time it was rehabilitated - and this time 'round the press couldn't have pretended to misunderstand it without looking rather stupid after it's been so widely discussed. Plus, it would pull in fresh interest from people who've only heard either The Smiths Greatest Hits or/and Quarry and ROTT. Plus, the song itself is a corker!

But Pigsty is lovely and I'll support the project by voting for it. Unless.....

OH COME ON, MORRISSEY! WE KNOW YOU HAVE THRALLS SCANNING THIS FORUM. WHICH ONE WOULD YOU LIKE US TO PUT FORWARD, EH?

My favourite of the 3 is Pigsty but I still think it should be Meat is murder as its the only one we have a chance of getting outside help on (which we will probably need). However, no response as yet from Peta or Vegsoc. Moz would be proud and I dont think he would give a toss about the royalties if MIM went to #1! Its not like he needs the money.
1 question about downloads - are the normal charts and the download charts combined or we talking about a separate download chart?

Here is a list of singles due to be released on January 29th. Anyone think there's any potential competition for Moz here?!

29th Jan

Baby Pink Star Vs Bonnie Tyler – Total Eclipse Of The Heart
Bloc Party – The Prayer
Bowling For Soup - High School Never Ends
Camera Obscura - If Looks Could Kill
Captain Flashback – Crazy Horses
Cold War Kids – Hang Me Up To Dry
Coral Sea – Look At Her Face
Dan Sartain – Flight Of The Finch
Dartz! - Once Twice Again!
Fall Out Boy - This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race
Findlay Brown – Come Home
Headrush – Livin’ In A Fantasy
Hot Club De Paris – Shipwreck (2x 7”)
Josh Groban – February Song
Kasabian – Me Plus One
Lady Sovereign – Love Me Or Hate Me
The Little Ones – Oh MJ!
Louise Setara – Wrong Again
Mark Morrison - Dance 4 Me
Mark Ronson – Toxic / God Put A Smile On Your Face (10”) [Limited]
Mika – Grace Kelly
Million Billion – Volcano Season
My Federation - Honey Bee
Nas feat Will.I.Am - Hip Hop Is Dead
Nate James – Funkdefining (EP)
Nick Lachey - What's Left Of Me
Noisettes – Sister Rosetta (Capture The Spirit)
Paperlung – Do What You Will
Pink Grease – Carlights
Pop Levi – Sugar Assault Me Now
Protokoll – Paradoxon
Public Domain feat Lucia Holm - I Feel Love
Roger Sanchez - Lost
Sarah Nixey – When I’m Here With You
Seth Lakeman – King And Country
Switches - Drama Queen
Whitewater – Stay
Ying Yang Twins feat Wyclef Jean - Dangerous

Taken from: http://www.radio1.gr/music/forthcoming_singles.htm

I'd be happy to download 5x piggy.

At 7+ minutes, Pigsty has got no chance of ever being pushed as a single by a record company. Exactly the kind of track deserving of a "download experiment". I got goosebumps when I heard it live.

At 7+ minutes, Pigsty has got no chance of ever being pushed as a single by a record company. Exactly the kind of track deserving of a "download experiment". I got goosebumps when I heard it live.

Count me in for the same.

I'd be happy too to download but can't. :(
The one time I'd like to participate but no.
Well, I am observing this with great interest.

Although I really wanted it to be Meat Is Murder because I am a nutcase veggie, I think Pigsty is a good choice.

I think more people are likely to download it and I maintain, along with everyone else, that it's the highlight of ROTT. I think it's quite cool that we wanted it released as a single, it doesn't happen, so we put it in the charts ourselves :cool:

Also I was thinking we could start the downloading on Monday 29th of January and continue it through to the 3rd of February. That would give us all of next week to let people know the chosen song and the date that the download will take place. This should give everyone enough time to prepare fOR it.

Do you all agree with this or do you think we should do it earlier or later?

Some of us will be out of town during that time because we're flying to California to see Morrissey in Pasadena. I don't think I'll be able to download anything while I'm away. D:

*sad*

Thank you for all of your opinions. I seem like the majority of you want to go with ‘Pigsty’ but I’ll leave this thread open until Monday.

Some of us will be out of town during that time because we're flying to California to see Morrissey in Pasadena. I don't think I'll be able to download anything while I'm away. D:

*sad*

We'll be downloading from the 29th to the 3rd. Will you be away all week?

Well 'Life Is A Pigsty' really is a consummation of Morrissey's several years work as a solo artist, both lyrically and musically. It's also non radio-friendly, which I love, since it means it will irritate the nice, neat patchwork of things. However, if we want sheer votes and a higher likelihood of downloads from a broader community of listeners, than 'Meat Is Murder' is the obvious choice.

If either entered the Top 40 than I'll be pleased, so go with the one with the higher guarantee I say.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom