‘Pigsty’ has won the downloading vote (please read)

I've just posted a Myspace bulletin, with information on what we're trying to do, what the tracks called and when it's happening and am starting to crap myself about copyrights etc...

Aren't we technically advertising something that isn't ours? I mean... could I get done for posting a MySpace bulletin to advertise buying the single next week? I really want assurance on this before I post anything further.

MozDesign you won't get in trouble for advertising a Morrissey song on Morrissey's myspace! :)

that flyer thingy is cool, maybe you should add a link to this forum so that people know where to get more info?

EDIT - you could put "click for more info" on it, and then when adding the image to myspace/wherever be sure to hyperlink the image to this forum :D

Everyone could add it to their own myspace pages to get it more publicity.

What this needs is a campaign organiser - I'd happily volunteer to help but am not technically minded to produce a website but anything else I can do count me in.
It needs a website producing where people interested in supporting the cause can register with an email address.
Once the song and date is decided, everyone is then emailed a few days before the date and then everyone buys the single on line. The date can be selected as to when a certain amount of people have signed up to guarentee a high placing.
Meat Is Murder is my favourite as it would hopefully reach out to people beyond the Morrissey fan base.

The Goat

Making a website is a very good idea. Makes this campaign look a bit more professional, may even get some recognition from someone.

But these things take time, if we were to put together a website then we'd have to set the download week back a bit to give people time to sign up and stuff like that.

Seeing as Tbevie organised most of this maybe he should do a website? (as long as you're not too busy).

You can use Freewebs to easily make nice looking websites. And then ShortURL to get a more professional looking address :) good stuff

Last edited:
Nice one.
All it needs is one web page full of the relevant details and a link where people can register their email address.
Once a select number of people have registered then email them all and GO GO GO!!!
In between, once the page is up and running, fans from here can target all the messageboards and people we know to get them to sign up too.
WE CAN HAVE IT ALL BUT HOW MUCH DO YOU WANT IT?

The Goat

Making a website is a very good idea. Makes this campaign look a bit more professional, may even get some recognition from someone.

But these things take time, if we were to put together a website then we'd have to set the download week back a bit to give people time to sign up and stuff like that.

Seeing as Tbevie organised most of this maybe he should do a website? (as long as you're not too busy).

You can use Freewebs to easily make nice looking websites. And then ShortURL to get a more professional looking address :) good stuff

Well I'm actually a SHE but that's okay :)

I think this is a great idea. I don’t actually know a lot about making websites. I've studied Graphic Design so I could help out with the graphics and so on but as far as the technical side is concerned, I will need help. But I would be perfectly happy for someone else, who knows what they’re doing, to take full responsibility.

Also if this idea progresses I'd have no problem in setting the download week back.

Well I have experience with Freewebs.

I could put together a website. Nothing too fancy, just simple with a simple message, does that sound ok to everyone?

I can start now, I have a few free hours :D

EDIT - although I'm not entirely sure what I should write in it. If someone could do a quick writeup i'll stick it on the site.

I could put together a website. Nothing too fancy, just simple with a simple message, does that sound ok to everyone?

EDIT - although I'm not entirely sure what I should write in it. If someone could do a quick writeup i'll stick it on the site.

That would be great. I have no objections :)

Well here’s the link to the idea thread.
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=67088

And if you just add the song choice and mention that the date will be announced shortly.

Also when we send out the e-mails maybe we should put links to the most popular download sites in them. I sure there’s some people out there that haven’t download music before.

Thanks for doing this :)

Well, that's what the result said. I think this has been an object lesson in how people should discuss exact objectives before embarking on a vote; it's clear not everyone was aiming for the 'experiment' to achieve the same thing. Oh, well....

Last edited:
ok well unfortunately Freewebs is being all slow for me at the moment, so work has been momentarily halted! :(!

but it'll resume shortly ;)

Brel, Cat's Mother, etc, if you want to "release" a Morrissey song that is commercially viable (for the snowball effect) and does not involve Mr Joyce then "Sister I'm a Poet" is the one. It's short enough to get radio play, unlikely to offend, is upbeat and very catchy, and probably more attractive to Moz fans as a download because it's rare (i like the studio version).
I understand that this project is already under way. Just thought i'd mention the best Morrissey song never to be a single.

I'm not going to start an alternative download campaign, charlie t, as I certainly don't wish to split people's download budgets and harm Tbevie's campaign, even if I think the choice of 'Pigsty' is folly (and for the record, I quite hope to be proven wrong.) But I agree, 'Sister...' would be another good choice, for the reasons you mention.

Kate

For what its worth - a similar thing was organised by a lunchtime radio show in Ireland (Ray Foley on Today FM) just as an experiment - the song the audience had picked was "A Boy Named Sue" by Johnny Cash and they managed to get it into the Irish Charts this week at no. 28:

http://www.rte.ie/2fm/charts/singles.html

So these kind of things do work, provided there is enough support of course

Right, the website has been set up: www.freewebs.com/get-moz-in-the-charts

a few things: i have applied for a shorter url from that free site I posted before, that address should be ready in the next 3 days. there is a link to sign-up to a mailing list on the site, however, Freewebs do not allow mailing lists to "work" until 7 days after the account has been set up.

So unfortunately this sets us back a bit because one of the main functions of the site will not work until next Sunday :(

I don't think people should publicise the site just yet, because the address will soon change and the mailing list will not be working. If people go on the site and things aren't working then it will put them off.

feel free to visit the site and tell me what you think, tell me if it makes sense, we need it to be as simple as possible, an alien needs to be able to understand it :p

sorry for the inconvenience about the experiment being set back for at least another week, but i think if we wait then in the long run it could be better for us.

We should still publicise the experiment to keep it fresh in people's minds, but don't mention the site just yet.

:)

Back
Top Bottom