‘Pigsty’ has won the downloading vote (please read)

However, I think we have to download it from a UK based online shop in order to get it into the UK charts, is that right? I wouldn't know where to start, so please post a link to appropriate download sites when it becomes "official".

This is very important; Using iTunes, for example, is not possible to download a track from their UK store without having a UK-based credit card.

Does anybody know how many downloads it will take to get in the top 40,30,20,10? Is there anywher you can see the sales of recent weeks. Just so we have a goal to set ourselves.

Yikes. After reading this website ( http://www.theofficialcharts.com/ )... it seems like it may be harder than we think! 133,000 downloads??

From the FAQ section:

Q4. How many singles and albums are sold each week?

A. Sales of singles and albums vary from year to year and from month to month. On average 1m singles and 3m albums are sold each week.

As a rough average of the past decade, a Number One record has sold approximately 133,000 copies per week. Sales of 25,000 have been sufficient to reach the Top 10 - particularly during early January when sales are traditionally lower.

Ooh, that's much better news Albion! And surely by the time we start buying "Pigsty" at the end of the month, all the Leona Lewis fans will be finished downloading her song??? Nothing in the list of new releases for the 29th strike me as being particularly huge, but then again my finger isn't exactly on the beating pulse of pop music...

.. isn't it scary that she's managing to sell over 20,000 singles a week, this long after X Factor ended? I thought usually these competition winners would only garner enough interest for a one-week hit. Anyway, back on topic...

Is the Woolworths download the cheapest one out there?

I'm happy to go for Pigsty. But I'll go with whatever is chosen - eternal fence sitter as I am.
I only recognise about two of the names in the release list for the 29th. :eek:

Might I just comment as one of the probably many who didn't vote but is actually going to download the song 5 times, I love the idea of it being Pigsty too :)

Also, for anybody out there who has MySpace or similar things, post bulletins every 5 seconds like all of the "emo kids" and plug the song to death! :p

It's actually quite amazing feeling that we may get it a decent chart placing. My worry is that people just won't download it 5 times each.

Is it possible for people outside the UK to help? Are there UK download sites that will accept addresses & credit cards from people outside the UK?

Just thirding the request for a website for non-UK fans - has anyone found one where people overseas can download the song?

Great work Zenith Nadir. I agree finding a way to get fans out with the UK involved is the answer.

Are there any non UK fans willing to try these out and see if any of these will work.

Your hero needs you :D

Great effort everyone :)

The only way people from overseas will be able to participate is if they send money to Brit's [via paypal] and get the Brit to download for them.

If you don't have a UK based billing address, then your download WILL NOT count towards the UK singles chart!

Here is a list of singles due to be released on January 29th. Anyone think there's any potential competition for Moz here?!
Taken from: http://www.radio1.gr/music/forthcoming_singles.htm
29th Jan

Baby Pink Star Vs Bonnie Tyler – Total Eclipse Of The Heart
Bloc Party – The Prayer
Bowling For Soup - High School Never Ends
Camera Obscura - If Looks Could Kill
Captain Flashback – Crazy Horses
Cold War Kids – Hang Me Up To Dry
Coral Sea – Look At Her Face
Dan Sartain – Flight Of The Finch
Dartz! - Once Twice Again!
Fall Out Boy - This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race
Findlay Brown – Come Home
Headrush – Livin’ In A Fantasy
Hot Club De Paris – Shipwreck (2x 7”)
Josh Groban – February Song
Kasabian – Me Plus One
Lady Sovereign – Love Me Or Hate Me
The Little Ones – Oh MJ!
Louise Setara – Wrong Again
Mark Morrison - Dance 4 Me
Mark Ronson – Toxic / God Put A Smile On Your Face (10”) [Limited]
Mika – Grace Kelly
Million Billion – Volcano Season
My Federation - Honey Bee
Nas feat Will.I.Am - Hip Hop Is Dead
Nate James – Funkdefining (EP)
Nick Lachey - What's Left Of Me
Noisettes – Sister Rosetta (Capture The Spirit)
Paperlung – Do What You Will
Pink Grease – Carlights
Pop Levi – Sugar Assault Me Now
Protokoll – Paradoxon
Public Domain feat Lucia Holm - I Feel Love
Roger Sanchez - Lost
Sarah Nixey – When I’m Here With You
Seth Lakeman – King And Country
Switches - Drama Queen
Whitewater – Stay
Ying Yang Twins feat Wyclef Jean - Dangerous

The one's I've highlighted in bold are potential competition based on people's music tastes from my school.
I think the biggest threats are Fall Out Boy and Kasabian.

The only way people from overseas will be able to participate is if they send money to Brit's [via paypal] and get the Brit to download for them.

If you don't have a UK based billing address, then your download WILL NOT count towards the UK singles chart!

The one's I've highlighted in bold are potential competition based on people's music tastes from my school.

You have overlooked Mika. He has been getting far too much hype recently. He is bound to get a high entry...(cue tittering)

In my opinion people have picked the wrong song for the job in hand. It will not have any impact on the charts without airplay, and Pigsty will not get the airing. It's too long for your average radio dj who thinks that the world cannot go 4 minutes without hearing the sound of their voice.

I've never payed to download a song, so my knowledge is limited here. Am I correct in assuming that any song (album, single, b-sides) are available? If so, there are some classic nuggets tucked away on Morrissey b-sides. We all love Lucky Lisp (which I imagine you can download from Bona Drag), an example of an A side in the waiting, if ever I saw one. I can see no reason why this would not get airplay, apart from it being Morrissey that is! Same goes for Hairdresser.

Whatever is chosen, I suspect that I will be dipping my toe into this download purchasing sometime soon?

Last edited:

I don't think Kasabians will be big competition because they albums been out for a while and its sold a fair bit.

The thought of using PayPal gives me hives, but if there's some other way to set up a UK-based collection through online credit card payments, I'd do that.

Has this kind of effort been organised (and worked) before?

Back
Top Bottom