“He has no reason to complain” - Simpsons writer Tim Long talks Morrissey to the Toronto Star

(July 28, 2021)

Excerpt:

Another source of inspiration he’s found himself returning to: English rocker Morrissey, lead singer of ‘80s group the Smiths.

Long incorporated the Smiths’ music and band into “The Exchange” and wrote a recent episode of “The Simpsons” including a character “not entirely” based on Morrissey.

Long called it “a loving homage to Morrissey, for the most part, at least for the first couple of acts.”

But Morrissey took issue with the episode, which aired in April, with his manager issuing a statement calling it “hurtful” and ”hypocritical.“

“Morrissey maybe wasn’t thrilled about the character, and then the movie that I wrote also features not just music from the Smiths but also a scene involving the Smiths, and he’s going to think, ‘What is this guy’s problem?’” Long said with a laugh.

“But if I ever meet him I’ll have to tell him, ‘We shot the movie two years ago, this was not a reaction to you.’ I don’t think he had any reason to complain from the first one (’The Simpsons’ episode), but he has even less reason (with the film). It’s just a kid who loves the band, like I did.

“I was a huge fan. I never thought in a million years I’d end up in a feud with the guy. But life takes some weird turns.”

full

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Laughable.

'I don't agree with it, so it's gone to shit'

Moron

Oh, one more thing. As widely stated just after the episode - why do you think Morrissey never went to the courts to defend his honour? Hmmmm?

Is it:

a) Leave him Sharon, he's not worth it!

b) The risk of being told there's ample evidence for the true depiction, and thus being legally allowed to be called a racist was just too great, because the green would stop rolling in

Tricky one
Jesus christ, stfu already? You're dangerously obsessed. Morrissey should probably take out a restraining order on you because at this rate you'll be stalking him

THESE TWO WANT TO GET ATTENTION,NOW THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT MOZ,AGAIN TO PROVOKE HIM.....THOSE TWO FACES IF THEY CATCH THE EYE ,PUFFF!!! THEY REPRESENT WHAT THE SIMPSONS ARE......MOZ DOES NOT HAVE TO ANSWER ANYTHING, THIS ONE FOR IMPORTANT THINGS, THOSE DRAWINGS ARE PATHETIC HORRIBLE!!!!MORRISSEY IS A GENIUS!!I LOVE MOZ, HE DOES NOT EAT MEAT AND HE IS A LIVING GEM. THANK YOU MOZ FOR CONTUINING YOUR CAREER,MOZ HAS SET THE BAR VERY HIGH AND THAT WAS SEVERAL DECADES AGO!!!!!!!

MOZ ALWAYS ON THE RISE, THE SIMPSONS IN DECLINE!!!!
THOSE FACES SAY IT ALL!!!!!!!!:angry:
:):)❤️❤️❤️(y)(y)MOZULIS!!!!:highfive:

THESE TWO WANT TO GET ATTENTION,NOW THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT MOZ,AGAIN TO PROVOKE HIM.....THOSE TWO FACES IF THEY CATCH THE EYE ,PUFFF!!! THEY REPRESENT WHAT THE SIMPSONS ARE......MOZ DOES NOT HAVE TO ANSWER ANYTHING, THIS ONE FOR IMPORTANT THINGS, THOSE DRAWINGS ARE PATHETIC HORRIBLE!!!!MORRISSEY IS A GENIUS!!I LOVE MOZ, HE DOES NOT EAT MEAT AND HE IS A LIVING GEM. THANK YOU MOZ FOR CONTUINING YOUR CAREER,MOZ HAS SET THE BAR VERY HIGH AND THAT WAS SEVERAL DECADES AGO!!!!!!!
Well, who could disagree with that. Two successful writers talk about someone who is in the process of flushing their career down the shitter, and they're the ones needing the coverage.

Nail on head.

Some people on here clearly don't have a clue how civil law works. The reason Morrissey couldn't sue them had nothing to do with some clever scheme to make the character 'not exactly like Moz so we can say in court that it wasn't meant to be him'. The law doesn't work like that. In this instance, it's totally obvious who the character was based on, and everybody who watched it knew it. Everybody commenting online knew it. Everybody on here knew it. That alone would be enough to make a defence of "it wasn't based on Morrissey" completely redundant and doomed to failure.

The reason Morrissey couldn't sue, which I assume his lawyers would have told him, is this: You can't sue for satire. To put it more bluntly, you can't sue someone for taking the piss out of you. Otherwise those old-fashioned acts who used to do over-the-top impersonations of famous people would have been sued every week. Spitting Image would have never even been made.

Morrissey should simply have taken this for what it was all along: a joke. But it seems he no longer has a sense of humour, and neither do most of his fans posting on here.

Not true. Although the law in the USA and the UK is different in this area - the law in the UK is much more in favour of the libelled, where there is no constitution and first amendment. Whilst satire is generally protected in the USA under the first amendment - it all depends on your definition of satire. Of course taking the piss isn't libellous. But a satire clearly accusing someone of doing or being something defamatory is. The test is always whether a reasonable person would think that what is being said about the person is actually true. With satire or a cartoon this is incredibly hard to prove. And using a fictitious name is indeed a recognised method of avoiding a libel suit, because it blurs even more the reasonable person test as described above. More extensive list below. These guys knew they could chuck as much mud as they wanted.

Well, who could disagree with that. Two successful writers talk about someone who is in the process of flushing their career down the shitter, and they're the ones needing the coverage.

Nail on head.
MOZ HAS LONG SINCE LEFT THE BAR VERY HIGH!!!!!!!!!!!!
LET'S SKINNY REPEAT WITH ME: VIVA MOZ VIVA MOZ MORRISSEY MORRISSEY MORRISSEY MOORRISSEYY!!,AS WHEN YOU WENT TO HIS RECITALS AND AS YOU DO WHEN NOBODY SEES YOU....SOMETHING YOU'VE CHOKED ON, YOU CAN'T BUT YOU WANT TO SAY VIVA MORRISSEY ;) (y)(y)

Unless something has been going on behind the scenes that we don't know about, I would hardly call this a feud. Morrissey did not even mention the Simpsons in his last interview, so hopefully, he has moved on. Apparently Tim Long hasn't, as he is fantasizing about meeting Morrissey and what he would say to him. I wonder when that will happen! Maybe Tim Long has tickets for the upcoming shows in Las Vegas and hopes that Morrissey will recognize him despite his generic, unremarkable looks, and invite him on stage for a hug.

I don't know if this guy actually believes that Morrissey has nothing to complain about. You must be pretty clueless to dismiss other people's feeling like that. Just because it's satire, doesn't mean that the person at whose expense the jokes are made has to laugh along. I would have respected Tim Long more if he had just admitted that it was their intention to upset Morrissey and his fans by tricking them into watching something that was presented as a homage. Or, that they got carried away in the writer's room and momentarily forgot that Morrissey is actually human and not 40 percent papier mache.

Did he say Moz has nothing to complain about? Does he intend to use more Smiths, Moz content for his projects? I wish I could sue this guy. Pig vomit face.

Just a Parody of Moz-It' was funny the best for me is seeing the Smiths Reunion-Now that's funny. I didn't understand why Moz felt offended. Lisa's bedroom 80's Smiths bedroom decor fun detail.
I enjoyed the jabs took it in stride.
Everyone horrid except you or possibly me. Guimby badge.

Very astute. They inverted the usual story where a young girl gets sucked in by an occult band and becomes a dumb, wrung out groupie then gets taken back in by her parents to get her away from the lifestyle. Instead, they want us to believe that Moz is worse than that but with no relevant proof except repetition that he is any of those things they say he is. It's lunatic storytelling. And yes, that album title 🤓

Ya fittingly figured it fabulously Jen M. :highfive:
They got formulas for this stuff and they go
ahead and flip'em into different formats.
The cartoon gave me a sad feelin' for Lisa.

(July 28, 2021)

Excerpt:

Another source of inspiration he’s found himself returning to: English rocker Morrissey, lead singer of ‘80s group the Smiths.

Long incorporated the Smiths’ music and band into “The Exchange” and wrote a recent episode of “The Simpsons” including a character “not entirely” based on Morrissey.

Long called it “a loving homage to Morrissey, for the most part, at least for the first couple of acts.”

But Morrissey took issue with the episode, which aired in April, with his manager issuing a statement calling it “hurtful” and ”hypocritical.“

“Morrissey maybe wasn’t thrilled about the character, and then the movie that I wrote also features not just music from the Smiths but also a scene involving the Smiths, and he’s going to think, ‘What is this guy’s problem?’” Long said with a laugh.

“But if I ever meet him I’ll have to tell him, ‘We shot the movie two years ago, this was not a reaction to you.’ I don’t think he had any reason to complain from the first one (’The Simpsons’ episode), but he has even less reason (with the film). It’s just a kid who loves the band, like I did.

“I was a huge fan. I never thought in a million years I’d end up in a feud with the guy. But life takes some weird turns.”

full

Related item:
Hard to tell the Muppets from the Puppets in that picture. Morrissey is right, best to ignore.

You don’t care for their physical appearance? Post a pic of yourself, Kiddo. I’ll let you know what I think.

Some complete and utter douche-bags around here, huh?

Fak Arf
No I don't. Especially after the idiotic defense of their depiction of Moz. You I can tell, are a lonely chubby thing.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom