“He has no reason to complain” - Simpsons writer Tim Long talks Morrissey to the Toronto Star

(July 28, 2021)

Excerpt:

Another source of inspiration he’s found himself returning to: English rocker Morrissey, lead singer of ‘80s group the Smiths.

Long incorporated the Smiths’ music and band into “The Exchange” and wrote a recent episode of “The Simpsons” including a character “not entirely” based on Morrissey.

Long called it “a loving homage to Morrissey, for the most part, at least for the first couple of acts.”

But Morrissey took issue with the episode, which aired in April, with his manager issuing a statement calling it “hurtful” and ”hypocritical.“

“Morrissey maybe wasn’t thrilled about the character, and then the movie that I wrote also features not just music from the Smiths but also a scene involving the Smiths, and he’s going to think, ‘What is this guy’s problem?’” Long said with a laugh.

“But if I ever meet him I’ll have to tell him, ‘We shot the movie two years ago, this was not a reaction to you.’ I don’t think he had any reason to complain from the first one (’The Simpsons’ episode), but he has even less reason (with the film). It’s just a kid who loves the band, like I did.

“I was a huge fan. I never thought in a million years I’d end up in a feud with the guy. But life takes some weird turns.”

full

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Another quote via comingsoon.net:
(July 31, 2021).

You wrote The Simpsons episode Panic on the Streets of Springfield, and I thought it was so great. I’m a big fan of The Smiths. So it was real fun to see those scenes, but Morrissey did not. He said “in a world obsessed with hate laws, there are none that protect me. Free speech no longer exists.” I just wanted to get your reaction to that.

I was a huge fan. He was a real hero of mine growing up. So I didn’t set out to make him upset. I set out to talk about my own, let’s say, ambivilent feelings about him and a lot of rock stars I grew up with. You always feel like any form of attention is a form of flattery. So I consider myself extremely flattered.

FWD.

When someone admires a person, respects him if or yes, are not worth the taunts or direct hints, as he is racist those disrespected him, it is clear that they do not admire him, they only used it to get ratings, because it is fashionable to speak badly of Morrissey

Ya fittingly figured it fabulously Jen M. :highfive:
They got formulas for this stuff and they go
ahead and flip'em into different formats.
The cartoon gave me a sad feelin' for Lisa.
Yes it's all a game to them. Ninety-five percent of our current entertainment is agenda driven. That is, they want Moz fans to feel conflicted creating a division between those bitter ex-fans and his loyalists who know he is genuine rather than inhabiting a character with each new album. Those who choose to believe blatant lies about him are only hurting themselves like Lisa is in the cartoon. They are missing out on the new music and the same guy who they used to love. They are simply being manipulated into believing something that they can't see with their own eyes. I, for one, want no part of this battle because I feel manipulated into fighting with people I may actually like.

And if it hits Morrissey's pocketbook so much the better, but fans are the true target. No fan should see this as a friendly homage to laugh off.

Another quote via comingsoon.net:
(July 31, 2021).

You wrote The Simpsons episode Panic on the Streets of Springfield, and I thought it was so great. I’m a big fan of The Smiths. So it was real fun to see those scenes, but Morrissey did not. He said “in a world obsessed with hate laws, there are none that protect me. Free speech no longer exists.” I just wanted to get your reaction to that.

I was a huge fan. He was a real hero of mine growing up. So I didn’t set out to make him upset. I set out to talk about my own, let’s say, ambivilent feelings about him and a lot of rock stars I grew up with. You always feel like any form of attention is a form of flattery. So I consider myself extremely flattered.

FWD.

what a goon.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom