20 years ago today...

EPbabe

20 years ago today late Hungarian Prime Minister Imre Nagy and 4 fellow martyrs were reburied in Budapest. All of them (among many others) had been executed as a result of the trials that followed the Anti-communist revolution of 1956. Imre Nagy and fellow martyrs had been buried in an unmarked tomb, face down in 1958. In 1989 they were exhumated and reburied after a solemn ceremony held exactly 20 years ago today on Heroes Square in Budapest. That event marked the first step in the process of the political and economic change that took place in the late 80s, early 90s in Hungary and in other Communist countries.

Something to remember.

heroes square is really impressive. i had no idea what it was all about though. thanks for the info.

yeah, sorry that happened EPbabe, we should have come to the Hungarian revolution's aid in 56 :straightface:
thats one of the big things i think Ike messed up :o

ps: i hope someday i get to my respects at Heroes Square in Budapest...

It's important to remember those who were prepared to stand up for their rights and be counted. Not only in defiance of oppression, but to encourage others who face the same challenges. And as a reminder not to take our freedoms for granted.

Thanks guys to all of you. I'm ridiculously moved about the whole thing, especially because when the whole reburial happened I was only 11 years old and I didn't understand how important it was. :o

Robby: The world was busy with the Suez crisis that's why no-one did anything about the Hungarian revolution and its defeat by the Red Army. So, there's an explanation to everything.

Thanks guys to all of you. I'm ridiculously moved about the whole thing, especially because when the whole reburial happened I was only 11 years old and I didn't understand how important it was. :o

Robby: The world was busy with the Suez crisis that's why no-one did anything about the Hungarian revolution and its defeat by the Red Army. So, there's an explanation to everything.

still, someone should dig Khrushchev up and put him in an unmarked grave :cool:

Back
Top Bottom