20 years on, if M submitted Vauxhall & I and asked you to grade it vs. Smiths/Solo work, your grade?

20 years on, if M submitted Vauxhall & I and asked you to grade it vs. Smiths/Solo work, your gr

• Total voters
Re: 20 years on, if M submitted Vauxhall & I and asked you to grade it vs. Smiths/Solo work, your gr

I honestly can't. I love Vauxhall with all of my heart, but The Smiths mean just as much to me.

Re: 20 years on, if M submitted Vauxhall & I and asked you to grade it vs. Smiths/Solo work, your gr

Three stars... Not as ambitious as that World Peace album

Thank god it came out when it did!

Was he with Jake when he wrote Vauxhall?

average but good perhaps a bit lopsided so id give it a b. i once read this was where moz got obvious and i agree somewhat with that and i dont care for a lot of the music not that its poor or anything. the exception being the more you ignore me and find out for yourself which is the somewhat lopsided but

It's the best thing he's ever done, with or without the Smiths.

It's the best thing he's ever done, with or without the Smiths.

Please vote A+

I have an important email I need to respond to...for an impatient person... ;)

Please vote A+

I have an important email I need to respond to...for an impatient person... ;)

This didn't have polling options yet when I commented! I didn't wait. Because...I...am...very...impatient.

I'm not sure his work to date would be as revered in its absence.
I could survive never hearing Billy Budd, I am hated for loving or Now my heart is full again to be honest - but not the rest.

As I'm not American, I don't recognise the notion of +/- grades, so I guess I'd have to say, a strong B. (Which I suppose could be an A- or a B+ in your terms)

I'm not sure his work to date would be as revered in its absence.
I could survive never hearing Billy Budd, I am hated for loving or Now my heart is full again to be honest - but not the rest.

As I'm not American, I don't recognise the notion of +/- grades, so I guess I'd have to say, a strong B. (Which I suppose could be an A- or a B+ in your terms)

I know. I have done coursework at University of London (which college Ghoul?) - University College London (UCL) - and I know the grading system is totally different! Cheers.

OK, I feel physically distressed over Vauxhall already not being a straight-A student!! Hahaha. I'm very protective of Vauxhall, because it's PERFECT. :p

OK, I feel physically distressed over Vauxhall already not being a straight-A student!! Hahaha. I'm very protective of Vauxhall, because it's PERFECT. :p

I'm a hard marker!
On a serious note, it would have to be solid gold from head to toe, to score an A for me. I'm not sure any Morrissey album delivers this, in my opinion. There is at least 1 or 2 tracks on all his albums that are just filler to my ears.......Maladjusted, Years Of Refusal and sadly, the latest offering would have the largest amount of said filler, for me.

I'm a hard marker!
On a serious note, it would have to be solid gold from head to toe, to score an A for me. I'm not sure any Morrissey album delivers this, in my opinion. There is at least 1 or 2 tracks on all his albums that are just filler to my ears.......Maladjusted, Years Of Refusal and sadly, the latest offering would have the largest amount of said filler, for me.

I've said this before in threads about WPINOYB, but I really believe that it's got as much to do with where I was in my life when various albums came out as it does with the songs themselves. It is impossible for me to evaluate anything Morrissey does truly objectively, because…(I don't think I need to explain the "because," do I?). Vauxhall was exactly the right album for me in my life exactly as it was in 1994. It was absolutely crucial to me at the time, and it's remained so for 20 years now. I cannot find any flaw with it.

I've said this before in threads about WPINOYB, but I really believe that it's got as much to do with where I was in my life when various albums came out as it does with the songs themselves. It is impossible for me to evaluate anything Morrissey does truly objectively, because…(I don't think I need to explain the "because," do I?). Vauxhall was exactly the right album for me in my life exactly as it was in 1994. It was absolutely crucial to me at the time, and it's remained so for 20 years now. I cannot find any flaw with it.

Agreed, the timing can be everything. I don't have THAT link to Vauxhall, and as a full album I rate Your Arsenal higher - for the exact reasons you said. When I first heard Your Arsenal, I felt that connection to I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday, Seasick, Tomorrow. Two cracking back to back albums all the same!

I gave it an A-. I can never forgive Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning :squiffy:

Better than Strangeways?......Better than The Queen Is Dead?!?!?......

Better than Strangeways?......Better than The Queen Is Dead?!?!?......

Yep. Strangeways, Viva Hate, and Meat is Murder are tied for second.

I'm really bad at ranking albums, but Vauxhall always comes out on top for me.

I think I'm one of the only people who doesn't rate Vauxhall & I as one of the best. I like it but personally I prefer most of the music he's put out since You are the Quarry :o

I can't vote (I will register someday) but I say A- when thinking of the Solo catalog.
Not sure if that A- would hold up thinking about The Smiths.

It's not as good as any Smiths album. What mark does that deserve?

I think Vauxhall is Moz lite, Morrissey bland. Nothing to do with Morrissey's input but musically and production wise it's too polished. Very nice but it's no Meat is Murder.

Out of solo stuff I prefer half of that too.

C.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom