20 years on, if M submitted Vauxhall & I and asked you to grade it vs. Smiths/Solo work, your grade?

20 years on, if M submitted Vauxhall & I and asked you to grade it vs. Smiths/Solo work, your gr

• Total voters
Re: 20 years on, if M submitted Vauxhall & I and asked you to grade it vs. Smiths/Solo work, your gr

It's not as good as any Smiths album. What mark does that deserve?

I think Vauxhall is Moz lite, Morrissey bland. Nothing to do with Morrissey's input but musically and production wise it's too polished. Very nice but it's no Meat is Murder.

Out of solo stuff I prefer half of that too.

And your grade is a C, Charles?

Re: 20 years on, if M submitted Vauxhall & I and asked you to grade it vs. Smiths/Solo work, your gr

And your grade is a C, Charles?

C by Morrissey standards. Of course it's still brilliant but it just doesn't feel as vital on an emotional level as some of his other albums.

i agree very much with your last two posts charlie

i agree very much with your last two posts charlie

Yes, there's nothing wrong with it, I just like it when Smiths/Morrissey records make my head explode. Vauxhall is just too contained to do that, I blame Lillywhite.

What are your favourite songs on there? I'll go for Why Don't You Find Our For Yourself, Used to be a Sweet Boy and Speedway. A lot of people slag Used to be a Sweet Boy off but I think it's magic.

why dont you find out for yourself and and the closer i get. i play guitar and and i love the guitar track on closer. hold on to your friends and speedway are almost on that level with the rest being bland or up and down like sweet boy of which i love the lyric and vocal but dont rather care for the music (just me). the rest doesnt move me emotionally at all. it feels like well constructed pleasant clever filler. nice job and all but im left unmoveed by it all and for me thats the point. break my heart, make me laugh etc

Yes, there's nothing wrong with it, I just like it when Smiths/Morrissey records make my head explode. Vauxhall is just too contained to do that, I blame Lillywhite.

What are your favourite songs on there? I'll go for Why Don't You Find Our For Yourself, Used to be a Sweet Boy and Speedway. A lot of people slag Used to be a Sweet Boy off but I think it's magic.

I kind of agree with you CC, but maybe not in such cutting fashion :)

The 3 tracks you've listed are probably my own 3 favourites - though I may be in the minority as I adore Lifeguard Sleeping - musically it's such a beautiful track.
I have to say, with regards to Morrissey and his solo works, I'm also of the opinion that they aren't on the same level as The Smiths work - they sure as hell aren't generally inferior productions and I love the most of the them to death, but in comparison with those 4 albums, they just don't quite his those highs. Now, all that said, C seems a tad harsh old bean!

Gave it a B but should have gone with B+. Not up to par with YA, SG or MIM, (which are not up to par with The Smiths, TQID or Strangeways). I prefer the live versions of the songs found on Introducing Morrissey to the studio version.

The whole album has a very I-just-smoked-a-joint-vibe to it.

Why Don't You Find Out for Yourself is one of his best songs ever.

I voted A-

Out of the solo catalogue it's my personal favourite, but it's beneath Strangeways or The Queen Is Dead

Going completely against the grain, I much prefer Years of Refusal. Completely ignoring That's How People Grow up of course.

wow charlie more and more simpatico we become. even the thats how peoplle grow up bit. i skip it every time

Lack of votes shows just how unimportant and overrated this album is.
It was the nadir of Morrissey's career.

No. It's just shows how uninteresting this poll is to many of us.

A great work of art speaks for itself. Unless we were to hear more about the creation of it from those involved, what else need be said?

A great work of art speaks for itself. Unless we were to hear more about the creation of it from those involved, what else need be said?

Beautifully stated.

context adds a lot imo

A+. It’s the album that really sold me on Moz solo after being a Smiths fan for several years. It is bookended by two of my favorite solo tunes (NMHIF and Speedway), AND has one of my favorite solo songs smack in the middle (Why Don’t You Find Out For Yourself) which I “borrowed” some lyrics from in my old hardcore band. Score!

A+. It’s the album that really sold me on Moz solo after being a Smiths fan for several years. It is bookended by two of my favorite solo tunes (NMHIF and Speedway), AND has one of my favorite solo songs smack in the middle (Why Don’t You Find Out For Yourself) which I “borrowed” some lyrics from in my old hardcore band. Score!

Nice little review, Fred. I think the bookend aspect is very important. I admire people who can play music. I tried guitar and failed.

Back
Top Bottom