A blog poster is offended by (name can't be mentioned)

The Seeker of Good Songs

from a blog I frequent"

"…..in a hotel room in Manchester, having come down on the train yesterday. It’s a three night stay, the purpose of which is to catch up with a few folk for the first time in years, including Swiss Adam. There’s also a visit planned to the above building to take in what, by all accounts, is an excellent exhibition on the early years of Factory Records.

I did think about offering up a Factory band of some sorts today, but then I thought I’d go back to an old favourite. A band who haven’t been featured on the blog since ICA 150 back in December 2017. A band I no longer listen to at all, dating back to not long after that posting for very obvious reasons. And while I really miss the brilliance of their songs, it really is a point of principle. But, given that I am in their home city and the mode of transport used to get me here, and of course the very important fact that this song is an instrumental, I’ll enjoy this today:-

mp3: The Smiths – The Draize Train

A few folk I know have emptied their collection of the singles and albums by The Smiths as well as the material issued throughout the singer’s solo career. I haven’t quite been able to go that far.

(a commenter to the article)
I understand your reluctance to listen/play The Smiths because of certain……. well, you know. But I can look at the group as an entity and not just….. well, a certain…… saying……, you know. Actually I can listen to certain solo work too without it coming into focus. But only for short bursts. Then the CDs/vinyl go back on the shelf for a while.

It's hilarious how they try to censor Morrissey name and The Smiths name.
LOL
Cancel culture
Morrissey did absolutely nothing a part being, as usual, a difficult person, but look at them acting all moral but still probably watching hollywood movies (after the me too scandal we can agree it's like a prostitution organization)

Untitled.png

Such a strange time that we're living through. (Image via the BBC website, a couple of years ago.)

A few folk I know have emptied their collection of the singles and albums by The Smiths as well as the material issued throughout the singer’s solo career. I haven’t quite been able to go that far.
That's just pathetic woke behavior. It shows they were listening to the music for all the wrong reasons from the beginning (i.e "I like this band because it makes me look cool and sophisticated", not "I like this band because the music is delightful to my ears").

That's just pathetic woke behavior. It shows they were listening to the music for all the wrong reasons from the beginning (i.e "I like this band because it makes me look cool and sophisticated", not "I like this band because the music is delightful to my ears").

You're part of the problem!! They don't want associated with racist ideology.

But I agree it's pathetic to literally hand over Morrissey's work to fascists - so they could use it to attract attention & recruits.

There will always be teenagers who discover How Soon Is Now & search online for information about the writer.

Exactly. And that out of all the lovely instrumentals, this coward chooses The Draise Train!

:squiffy:doh::lbf:

Oh wait, it was because he/she was on a train, how fuucking clever. Lol

She/he could have chose London!

Their loss, obvs.

Well as with all the assholes
that can’t separate the artist from their art, the song is not the crime.

Again, their loss.

VIVA MOZ !!!

VIVA LOST DEMOS !!!

VIVA BONFIRE !!!!

:cool:

But I agree it's pathetic to literally hand over Morrissey's work to fascists - so they could use it to attract attention & recruits.

There will always be teenagers who discover How Soon Is Now & search online for information about the writer.

I see what you’re saying.

But I believe TH Auden’s post was referring more to devotion, questioning how or why the blogger listened to The Smiths in the first place, and these same listeners now being so easily swayed to conform to others beliefs of what is right and what is wrong, rather then looking to one’s own heart, being brave and standing up for the things one loves.

The Draise Train!
This inquiry should probably have it's own thread, but why is this an instrumental? Is there a story behind it having no lyrics, as well as "Oscillate..."

This inquiry should probably have it's own thread, but why is this an instrumental? Is there a story behind it having no lyrics, as well as "Oscillate..."

Because Morrissey chose not to use it, but I guess he thought it fine as an instrumental, or to please Johnny by saying it’s better as an instrumental.

I don’t know how Johnny felt about Morrissey not putting words to it, rejection or not.

To my ears, it places last in the few
instrumentals that were released.

Edit: FWD’s more informative post below

See:
FWD.

I don’t know what the demo version of Oscillate sounded like, but it’s my favorite of the instrumentals, and as Morrissey must have heard/predicted, it really stands up on its own.

I see what you’re saying.

But I believe TH Auden’s post was referring more to devotion, questioning how or why the blogger listened to The Smiths in the first place, and these same listeners now being so easily swayed to conform to others beliefs of what is right and what is wrong, rather then looking to one’s own heart, being brave and standing up for the things one loves.

I know, I was just whinging at him.

Also - I'm surprised that even people who think Moz is a lost cause aren't interested in what path he took.

Earliest sign of trouble is 2015 when he repeated a phrase about war of religion that Richard Dawkins & Pat Condell had used (old athiests)... but it's between October 2017 & March 2018 that his frame of reference goes full alt/far-right & he mainly mentions (or Central posts videos from) people born between 1977 & 1982.

I know, I was just whinging at him.

Also - I'm surprised that even people who think Moz is a lost cause aren't interested in what path he took.

Nah, that would be too much work for them. And such short attention spans these. It’s much easier to just say ‘the correct thing’ and be ‘liked’
by strangers.

Earliest sign of trouble is 2015 when he repeated a phrase about war of religion that Richard Dawkins & Pat Condell had used (old athiests)... but it's between October 2017 & March 2018 that his frame of reference goes full alt/far-right & he mainly mentions (or Central posts videos from) people born between 1977 & 1982.

When it comes to politics, even if he disagrees with what they believe, if they also believe as he does on animal rights issues and if that person to him seems an outsider/underdog he’ll champion them anyway ( think FB)

Last edited:
Nah, that would be too much work for them. And such short attention spans these. It’s much easier to just say ‘the correct thing’ and be ‘liked’
by strangers.

When it comes to politics, even if he disagrees with what they believe, if they also believe as he does on animal rights issues and if that person to him seems an outsider/underdog he’ll champion them anyway ( think FB)

I'm not convinced he knows what he's championing. He couldn't be that reckless AND that careful. I think someone has been filtering the information he gets & blaming the public backlash on bad journalism (which is abundant).

I'm not convinced he knows what he's championing.
agree to that also.
He couldn't be that reckless AND that careful.
but turning a blind eye, as long as causes closer to his heart are getting attention especially mainstream attention, I wouldn’t rule out entirely as a possibility.
I think someone has been filtering the information he gets & blaming the public backlash on bad journalism (which is abundant).

I think you misunderstood my comment

agree to that also.

but turning a blind eye, as long as causes closer to his heart are getting attention especially mainstream attention, I wouldn’t rule out entirely as a possibility.

The causes close to his heart are getting no attention - people are too busy denouncing him as a Nazi.

I suppose he could be in denial about that.

I didn't. I was just pointing out that you contribute to his pariah status.
It's rather these fanatics who does that, and honestly I think he's glad they're no longer part of his audience. Who needs fair-weather fans? It's in difficult times you see who your true friends are.

It's rather these fanatics who does that, and honestly I think he's glad they're no longer part of his audience. Who needs fair-weather fans? It's in difficult times you see who your true friends are.

Back
Top Bottom