A Return to a Quarry-styled Era -- A Good Thing, Yes?

A Return to a Quarry-styled Era -- A Good Thing, Yes?

• Good riddance to Ringleader -- Quickly get back to Quarry-styled goodness!

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • All the news looks like a big step backwards. Get a new producer and musicians!

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • I'm adopting a wait and see attitude.

Votes: 32 58.2%

• Total voters
I liked Quarry, far better than ringleader, which is only slightly better than southpaw, my least favorite.. I'd rather see him revisit Vauxhall, Bona drag, Maladjusted, Arsenal, etc. However I am hoping the next album will be much better, more like the aforementioned, at least in terms of quality.

^^^

I tried using the Smoking Jesus as my avi and it didn't allow me :(

Not even the small version :'(

m_52dad9c64c26352e7a580c9a091cc791.gif

Uh-hmm...

"There is something happening here... what it is aint exactly clear. See there's a man with a gun over there... telling me I got to beware... I say its time to stop baby whats that sound everybody look what's going round."

IM typing while listening to the internet exclusive DMB Red Rocks 2005 festival. Im jamming bro.... jamming.

With the confirmation of Jerry Finn as producer on Morrissey's upcoming album, Alain weighing in with some strong tracks, and the excitement surrounding the new single and Greatest Hits package (complaining diehards -- try to see it from a much wider perspective that includes young/new/reconnecting fans) it looks as if Morrissey is poised for a big You Are the Quarry-styled 2008.

Do you think this is a good thing, or a step backwards?

Quarry is a lot better than Ringleader, so it wouldn't be a bad thing. But why do you assume that simply having the same producer will make it an attempt at a repeat album? Morrissey made a bunch of albums with Steve Lillywhyte, and they are all very distinct from each other (compare Vauxhall with Southpaw). All of his albums in his solo career have been distinct. For Quarry, Morrissey stated that Finn helped him create the sound for the album he'd already been hearing in his head. I think he chose Visconti for Ringleader because he was on a checklist of people Morrissey wanted to make an album with before he died. Jerry Finn, though, was terrific for Morrissey and managed to change the way Morrissey records albums (vocals recorded with the band).

With the confirmation of Jerry Finn as producer on Morrissey's upcoming album, Alain weighing in with some strong tracks, and the excitement surrounding the new single and Greatest Hits package (complaining diehards -- try to see it from a much wider perspective that includes young/new/reconnecting fans) it looks as if Morrissey is poised for a big You Are the Quarry-styled 2008.

Do you think this is a good thing, or a step backwards?

what tracks is alain doing have i missed a chapter ?

I voted good riddance, though that is a bit harsh. I do, however, think that the Moz/Visconti partnership didn't work as well overall as other partnerships have. I won't be sad to see Visconti move on, and I do still think Quarry is probably Morrissey's best overall album, so I'm interested to see what bringing Finn back will do.

--jeniphir

I don't fully think it'll be the same just because it's the same producer, but that thought is out there, not to mention the fact that the production on That's How...was very recognizable as Finn's -- it could've been a Quarry session track.

Boz and especially Alain have a lot of range in styles and I'm happy that Moz still collaborates with them, but some bemoan that they, and Jesse (who nobody seems to think is a sterling songwriter), are still around instead of Moz finding new musicians.

While creatively Morrissey seemed satisfied with Ringleader, I think he misses the success Quarry enjoyed and the "thousands of people" working to help make it a hit in the early days with Sanctuary. Maybe Polydor/Decca will try to recreate those circumstances.

For these reasons it's possible it'll be a return to a very Quarry-like album -- whether or not that's a good thing is why I created the poll.

Quarry is a lot better than Ringleader, so it wouldn't be a bad thing. But why do you assume that simply having the same producer will make it an attempt at a repeat album? Morrissey made a bunch of albums with Steve Lillywhyte, and they are all very distinct from each other (compare Vauxhall with Southpaw). All of his albums in his solo career have been distinct. For Quarry, Morrissey stated that Finn helped him create the sound for the album he'd already been hearing in his head. I think he chose Visconti for Ringleader because he was on a checklist of people Morrissey wanted to make an album with before he died. Jerry Finn, though, was terrific for Morrissey and managed to change the way Morrissey records albums (vocals recorded with the band).

Last edited:
Good riddance is a bit harsh and why I didn't vote myself, but to this day there seems to be a large percentage of die hard fans (?) who slag off the album, so I made the poll choice reflect that.

I'd have to go back in the archives to check out the mood after Quarry was released, but it seemed a lot more balanced, with far less posters saying the album was complete rubbish.

I voted good riddance, though that is a bit harsh. I do, however, think that the Moz/Visconti partnership didn't work as well overall as other partnerships have. I won't be sad to see Visconti move on, and I do still think Quarry is probably Morrissey's best overall album, so I'm interested to see what bringing Finn back will do.

--jeniphir

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom