A.V. club review by Josh Modell - IANADOAC (Grade: B-)

Like it says. The reviewer really seemed upset about the suicide lines (people really seem to take it literally) and hates the secret of music (I’ll disagree) but it’s a good review. Maybe it’s morrisseys public image that makes people take the suicide lines so seriously but as say a mindless self indulgence fan who have so many songs that say kill you self I find it hard to be bothered by it

I agree - also "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore"

Whether it's to himself, I don't know, but I think most people have doubts before releasing their personal art to a world where everyone is a critic
I'd say 'That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore' is one of the Smiths best songs.

Last edited:
People argue over whether suicide is brave or cowardly, or taking control over death or losing it.

It's not the same as actively wanting people to kill themselves.
I don't know what the intention is.
I'd love him to explain.
Like the reviewer, I think it's careless with others' wellbeing. Especially when he has a listenership with higher than average mental instability.

I don't know what the intention is.
I'd love him to explain.
Like the reviewer, I think it's careless with others' wellbeing. Especially when he has a listenership with higher than average mental instability.

I don't think it's that mysterious, it seems to be someone telling themselves to stop morbidly brooding & take action. Either do it (live, sing, jump off a cliff) or shut up about it.

I can't remember the title! But there's a Smiths song where the rocks below appear to be telling him to throw himself off a cliff.

It's one of those decisive methods. You can't go back. It's one leap & it's too late. So, it's the extreme opposite of thinking.

I don't think it's that mysterious, it seems to be someone telling themselves to stop morbidly brooding & take action. Either do it (live, sing, jump off a cliff) or shut up about it.

I can't remember the title! But there's a Smiths song where the rocks below appear to be telling him to throw himself off a cliff.

It's one of those decisive methods. You can't go back. It's one leap & it's too late. So, it's the extreme opposite of thinking.
But, don't be decisive if you're actually thinking of jumping off a cliff. Right? You said he wouldn't want that?

I think it’s just another way for him to shout down hysteria and drama. I don’t think he believes the person he’s talking to be it himself or someone else is really suicidal. It sounds or feels like he’s shouting down something or someone and that the song is about strength

But, don't be decisive if you're actually thinking of jumping off a cliff. Right? You said he wouldn't want that?

Art works in opposites - so I was talking about the opposites contained within the song. In this case thinking-action.

I think it’s just another way for him to shout down hysteria and drama. I don’t think he believes the person he’s talking to be it himself or someone else is really suicidal. It sounds or feels like he’s shouting down something or someone and that the song is about strength

Yeah, that's what I'm picking up. That it's about going on even though you're mortified & heartbroken.

Jim Jim Falls is one of the best songs on the album and maybe his best opener since Your Arsenal. I find the lyrics more of a gut check and life affirming than an encouragement to commit suicide. Also I think Morrissey is talking inwardly as much as outwardly here

Leaving aside the grammar here, why don't you go ahead and list all those songs you have in mind ("...so many songs that say kill you self..."). There must be loads. You said so.
Pretty sure there was a band in the 80's that had a song about suicide, think it was called Asleep.

Someone once said suicide is painless. I think it might have been in a song somewhere

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain review

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom