AA Gill's review of Morrissey's Autobiography wins Hatchet Job Of The Year award

Morrissey critique wins Hatchet Job award - BBC News

A scathing review of singer Morrissey's recent autobiography has won an award presented annually to "the writer of the angriest, funniest, most trenchant book review" of the past 12 months.

An anonymous person posted the link to the full review on the Omnivore site. The link isn't working at the moment, here is a cached version on Google.

Also:

Hatchet Job of the Year goes to AA Gill for Morrissey broadside - The Guardian
Sunday Times critic honoured for 'expert caning' of rock star's autobiography

Morrissey mauling wins Hatchet Job review prize - MSN / AP. Link from markmustb1.

Excerpt:

The Hatchet Job award was established in 2011 by literary website The Omnivore to honor "the angriest, funniest, most trenchant" review published in a newspaper or magazine. It has been criticized for rewarding mean-spiritedness, but organizers say the tongue-in-cheek contest has a serious purpose: to encourage reviewers to be fearless.

Related links:

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair enough, but history will note that, next to Morrissey, AA Gill has produced nothing of artistic worth, or indeed any worth at all. His sniping 500 word attacks line garbage bins the next day, whereas Morrissey is lauded as being in the canon of great musical icons...still, well done on the bauble, 'AA"...

I was a very good piece, so deserved to win.

A A Gill must like or fancy both Moz and Jake? No? Who couldn't? People who put Gill and Jeremy Clarkson 'together' are doing a disservice to Gill, I happen to think he has taste (just not in books)!

I honestly don't see what's so exceptional about this review - it seems unremarkable to me; faintly amusing, but fairly run of the mill critical journalism. The quotes from 'Autobiography' ought to seem absurd in the context, but they actually emphasise how superior Morrissey's prose is to that of Gill's: if I had never read 'Autobiography', the bits that I would really remember from this 'prize-winning article' would be the quotes. In fact, it would probably prompt me to go and buy the book.

So do you think Morrissey will ignore this or think up a suitable pun for his next missive ?

Stephen Fry has critics spot on - people who sit around doing f*** all themselves, they look at work done by other people and go, 'Well, that's total shit, isn't it?'

Didn't AA Gill once brag about killing a baboon? I am sure Moz has no interest in what this creep thinks about anything.

This is easily the biggest public insult to Morrissey since the 'devious, truculent' comments in the court case.
It's in all the main papers and even on the front of the BBC news website.
His book is ridiculed as being "Utterly devoid of insight, warmth, wisdom or likeability".
Morrissey is bound to respond. Imagine how vicious and nasty he's going to be this time...

Spot on.
Link to original Fry quote, por favor. It sounds like a good one.

Stephen Fry has critics spot on - people who sit around doing f*** all themselves, they look at work done by other people and go, 'Well, that's total shit, isn't it?'

Didn't AA Gill once brag about killing a baboon? I am sure Moz has no interest in what this creep thinks about anything.

Spot on.
Link to original Fry quote, por favor. It sounds like a good one.

I like this Brendan Behan quote...“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”

P.

After getting half way through ,I knew it was
utterly devoid of insight, warmth, - wasn't looking for wisdom or likability
but the first two were expected and not delivered

This is easily the biggest public insult to Morrissey since the 'devious, truculent' comments in the court case.
It's in all the main papers and even on the front of the BBC news website.
His book is ridiculed as being "Utterly devoid of insight, warmth, wisdom or likeability".
Morrissey is bound to respond. Imagine how vicious and nasty he's going to be this time...

Moz has more sense than to respond to the Baboon Eater on poor cuckold :)Murdochs paper! The figures speak for themselves, best selling Music Bio of all time. You can hate Man U all you like but again Fergie made the No1 spot for weeks (Sunday Times, not Amazon or Twatter) Karma always makes wrongs right, however long that may take! I guess the Truculent comment came via a Thatcher supporter ha ha.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom