Accommodation in Edinburgh

Walkers Crisp

Nobody's Nothing
Can anybody recommend a nice hotel/b&b within walking distance to the Playhouse? I tried a few places but they are all booked up. Will stay for 3 nights. :)

Taa.

Edinburgh central travel lodge is close by and there's a hotle across from the playhouse that i think is quiet cheap but i can't remember the name. I will be walking past there today so i will find out for you. ;)

The Cairn Hotel is just around the corner from the Playhouse
http://www.cairnedinburgh.com/booking.php

looks like £41 per night

An alternative might be the Thistle Hotel which is pretty much opposite the Playhouse and would be handy if you wanted to incorporate shopping into your trip, it's underneath a shopping centre (with a Thorntons shop in it!)
I can't find the rate at the moment, but leave it until Monday and I will check at work.

or for £295 per night, you might want to stay in The Glasshouse, a boutique hotel which is directly beside the Playhouse.

The one over the road is Express by Holiday Inn and are only doing a 3 night package, which is what you want, but the rate given was way over what I think it's worth. (about £160 per night)

I would definitely recommend the Thistle though - as I said I will make enquiries at work on Monday. Does anybody else want to stay here?

Can anybody recommend a nice hotel/b&b within walking distance to the Playhouse? I tried a few places but they are all booked up. Will stay for 3 nights. :)

Taa.

Edinburgh city centre is pretty small so most accommodation will not be too far from The Playhouse.
Really depends on your budget.
As well as B&Bs and hotels there's also the option to rent an apartment.
It's weird that a lot of the budget hotels are already booked up that weekend(i tried for a friend of mine)

Taa.

Did you also try the Terrace Hotel on Royal Terrace?
I've sent them an email yesterday but no answer so far.
So if you already tried them I might as well try other places. :rolleyes:

I tried all the places I've stayed before - the rugby seems to be the issue. I've ended up about 5 miles out :rolleyes:

The Cairn Hotel is just around the corner from the Playhouse
http://www.cairnedinburgh.com/booking.php

looks like £41 per night

An alternative might be the Thistle Hotel which is pretty much opposite the Playhouse and would be handy if you wanted to incorporate shopping into your trip, it's underneath a shopping centre (with a Thorntons shop in it!)
I can't find the rate at the moment, but leave it until Monday and I will check at work.

or for £295 per night, you might want to stay in The Glasshouse, a boutique hotel which is directly beside the Playhouse.

The one over the road is Express by Holiday Inn and are only doing a 3 night package, which is what you want, but the rate given was way over what I think it's worth. (about £160 per night)

I would definitely recommend the Thistle though - as I said I will make enquiries at work on Monday. Does anybody else want to stay here?

@ Sphinx, thanks for that rubgy information!

I just booked a single room at the Cairn Hotel for Friday/Sunday, they still had some rooms available.
I checked online availability for the Thistle, but they have no rooms left that weekend.

EDIT: I've been looking for some other options as the Cairn Hotel does have some less positive reviews (not really bad but...) but most places have a 3 night minimum & special (=high) rates because of the rugby.

EDIT #2: canceled Cairn Hotel, found a B&B with just 1 single room available, that had just been canceled! Luckily they took reservations for 2 nights.

This B&B still has rooms available, at GBP 60,- a night, 3 night minimum...
http://www.castleviewgh.co.uk/
It's just off Princess Street.

Last edited:
I can recommend this B&B:nice friendly people and only £32-£55 a night
and a ten minute walk from The Playhouse:

http://www.aboutscotland.com/edin/ardmor.html

the only slight prob about Pilrig Street is that it's blocked off at the mo' because of the impending tram lines, it's open to foot so as long as you aint got an heavy case or you don't mind paying extra for the taxi to divert round the back to get there then it sound brill'.

For those that are after just the overnight stay & don't mind a bit of communal living then we've still got some space available?

love

Grim

I just got an email from the Terrace Hotel (terracehotel.co.uk) and they have availability, GBP 55.- for an ensuite single room incl breakfast.
3rd floor, no lift.

Hi again,

Thanks a lot for your replies. As per GU's recommendation I just booked a room at the Thistle through a German travel agent (www.dertour.de) for 380 Euros for 3 nights - breakfast included and ideal location for the Playhouse.

Great choice for me since I'm a hopeless shopaholic and the hotel has direct access to a shopping mall from their 3rd floor :).

See y'all in Scotland.

lv
-crsp-

P.S. @snap - Ardmor House Pilrig Street looks very cosy indeed - phoned them but the lovely guy said they don't have any vacancies for those dates either :(. Will probably stay there next time.

I tried all the places I've stayed before - the rugby seems to be the issue. I've ended up about 5 miles out :rolleyes:

Agh!! Have just noticed your post! We've decided to stay the night also as I'm sure there will be some serious after show parties in Edinburgh but like you say, cannot get anywhere in Edin as yet but will keep trying and will let folk know if anything crops up.
I suppose if all else fails I could just camp out in Waverly Station and wait for the first train back to Glasgow in the morning...I've done that before.:(

Crisp, you were very lucky to get a room at the Thistle, because when I phoned today they were all sold out..The conversation went something like this:

Me: I'd like to check availability for 2nd February next year please.

Him: Sorry madam, we're fully booked for that date.

Me: Oh yes, that's because Morrissey is coming to Edinburgh.

Him: No madam, it's because of the 5 Nations Rugby on that weekend.

Me: No no, it's cos Morrissey is coming to town. That's why you've sold out.

Him: No madam, it's because of the Rugby on that weekend.

Me: No! It's because of Morrissey, I know that Morrissey fans have booked into your hotel.

Him: I don't understand what a Morrissey is. It's the Rugby, I promise you.

Me: You never heard of the Smiths?

Him: No, it's the Rugby madam.

So there you go, I'd suggest that anybody that wants to book accommodation in Edinburgh does so sooner rather than later.

I read somewhere that the Balmoral was also part of the same chain of hotels that own the hotel he stayed in Rome.
One of my teachers told me today that the last time Moz was in Edinburgh he was in the HMV on Princes street. Oh now i have an idea where he might be- oh dear i might stalk him like i did with johnny Marr:p

I read somewhere that the Balmoral was also part of the same chain of hotels that own the hotel he stayed in Rome.
One of my teachers told me today that the last time Moz was in Edinburgh he was in the HMV on Princes street. Oh now i have an idea where he might be- oh dear i might stalk him like i did with johnny Marr:p

HMV in St James' Centre? If you see him, invite him for a drink at the Conan Doyle just round the corner, that's where we'll all be getting legless :)

How you getting back to Nittan btw?

HMV in St James' Centre? If you see him, invite him for a drink at the Conan Doyle just round the corner, that's where we'll all be getting legless :)

How you getting back to Nittan btw?

I hope i do bump in to him:D. I'm still trying to convince my parents to let me go and i hope i can go to an after show party. But my parents aren't very happy me right now for reasons i won't disguss. So i'll proberally be getting a lift from my dad or the N3 home.

Back
Top Bottom