Alain plays "Hold On To Your Friends"; interview on "Breakfast with The Smiths" radio show (Dec. 26)

Famous when dead posted the link:

BREAKFAST WITH ALAIN WHYTE (AND THE SMITHS)! - Alain Whyte blog

Alain just did an interview with Jose Maldonado for his “Breakfast with The Smiths” radio show on The Independent FM. Played a couple of tunes, discussed the new record, “The Experiment" EP” and recounted a story or two from the time spent with The Lads writing and touring with Morrissey. Be sure to tune in this Wednesday (Dec. 26th) at 8am Pacific/[corrected: 4pm Uk time].

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you a shat-bot by any chance?

ro-jaws-star-pin-up-by-kevin-oneil.jpg

:rolleyes:

o_O

comedy takes a MASSIVE LOSS:lbf:

Regards,
FWD.

I just watched the video for the Experiment. Alain's dubious dancing aside, he sounds a lot like Ian McCullough which isn't a bad thing. Seems weird hearing the music from Ganglord on another song.

I really don't like this song, but he is such a kind person who really enjoys the music he is making. Good for him...like Johnny they have moved on and that is great.

And not being in love with Morrissey's new music either, there will always be the songs that saved my life thanks to Johnny, and those that brought Moz so many great solo songs thanks to Alain. Such a rich library to visit time and time again.

I just watched the video for the Experiment. Alain's dubious dancing aside, he sounds a lot like Ian McCullough which isn't a bad thing. Seems weird hearing the music from Ganglord on another song.

According to Alain it isn't the music from Ganglord :rolleyes:

‘we’ve’ ?

:rolleyes::lbf:

Always here to stick in the knife with your ... ‘objective opinions’.

it is true. we have lost the opportunity to enjoy too many good musicians' music because of "the boss"...... for christ sake!

I think some people romanticize Alain's time with the group to some degree.

When albums like Southpaw Grammar, Maladjusted, You are the Quarry etc. were being released few people were hailing the music and plenty were mourning the absence of the likes of Johnny and Stephen Street.

The music of some of Morrissey's recent releases has actually been better reviewed (with the lyrics being more questioned).

I think some people romanticize Alain's time with the group to some degree.

When albums like Southpaw Grammar, Maladjusted, You are the Quarry etc. were being released few people were hailing the music and plenty were mourning the absence of the likes of Johnny and Stephen Street.

The music of some of Morrissey's recent releases has actually been better reviewed (with the lyrics being more questioned).

You're quite right.
He did write a small number of brilliant songs although, tellingly, none that were deemed good enough to make the all time Morrissey/Smiths top 20. And most of the depressingly numerous chug-rock plodders from 95 to 2010 were Morrissey Whyte compositions. The music has been far more interesting on the last two albums - almost entirely chug-rock free. The quality of the lyrics, however, have been at an all-time low.
The new covers album will be interesting. Chug-rock free and some else has obviously written the lyrics.

Pics from his signing at Kaos Records, Covina yesterday:

A clip of Our Frank played there too:

(Posted in this thread as it all kind of relates to "The Experiment" promotion).
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
Covina Records???:oops:

what a promotional catastrophe.doh:

I reckon the feud between Al and the real California Son is heating up m8. The city of Altadena is having "Al White Day" on Friday at Loma Alta Park and they are also giving Blob an official "citizen of Altadena" certificate too. Look for it to be posted on Lynn's twitter soon. I reckon there will be free California Burritos, french fries, and root beer floats for the first 50 people who show up AND don't ask Al where Uncle Steve lives in Malibu because he doesn't know anyway inn nn nnnn n n nn n din't in nn n n it .

I wonder if anyone ever reads any further than "I reckon"?......I reckon not.

I reckon it's Kaos Records in Covina mate innn nn n nnn nn nn nnnn nnnnn n nn nn n din't fek'ell din't n n n n n it.

You're quite right.
He did write a small number of brilliant songs although, tellingly, none that were deemed good enough to make the all time Morrissey/Smiths top 20. And most of the depressingly numerous chug-rock plodders from 95 to 2010 were Morrissey Whyte compositions. The music has been far more interesting on the last two albums - almost entirely chug-rock free. The quality of the lyrics, however, have been at an all-time low.
The new covers album will be interesting. Chug-rock free and some else has obviously written the lyrics.
More than a small number, in my view. I agree with your earlier post that his output became more uneven after 1995, but then so did Morrissey's output in general. Certainly his contribution on Your Arsenal and Vauxhall is pretty much flawless:

Your Arsenal Glamorous Glue, We'll Let You Know, The National Front Disco, Certain People I Know, We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful, You're the One for Me, Fatty, Seasick, Yet Still Docked, Tomorrow

Vauxhall and I
Billy Budd, Hold On to Your Friends, Why Don't You Find Out for Yourself?, I Am Hated for Loving, Used to Be a Sweet Boy, The Lazy Sunbathers

And in the subsequent years he still managed a decent number of stand-out tracks - some of them sublime:

The Operation, Dagenham Dave, Southpaw, Alma Matters, Trouble Loves Me, Irish Blood, English Heart, I Have Forgiven Jesus, First of the Gang to Die, Let Me Kiss You, Dear God Please Help Me, Life Is a Pigsty, It's Not Your Birthday Anymore, Ganglord, The Never Played Symphonies, Let the Right One Slip In, Boxers, Sunny, A Swallow on My Neck, Have-a-Go Merchant, Nobody Loves Us, The Edges Are No Longer Parallel

Obviously opinions are subjective, but I just cannot get as excited by the more recent material. To me it lacks heart, spark, cohesiveness and most of all, good tunes. I sometimes think when Morrissey dispensed, bit by bit, with 'the lads', he lost a lot of the Englishness that his musical identity was built on; and having replaced them with Jesse, Mando and Gustavo - in what looks an awful lot like cynically pandering to his South American market - this disconnect seems ever greater. To me, flinging multiple world music influences at the wall to see what sticks has not served him well in this regard. I also can't help wondering if this at least partly explains the decline in his lyrics; it's as if even he's not connecting with his own music any more. Or perhaps he's just run out of things to say. Anyway, I agree with you that the covers album will be interesting.

Last edited:
More than a small number, in my view. I agree with your earlier post that his output became more uneven after 1995, but then so did Morrissey's output in general. Certainly his contribution on Your Arsenal and Vauxhall is pretty much flawless:

Your Arsenal Glamorous Glue, We'll Let You Know, The National Front Disco, Certain People I Know, We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful, You're the One for Me, Fatty, Seasick, Yet Still Docked, Tomorrow

Vauxhall and I
Billy Budd, Hold On to Your Friends, Why Don't You Find Out for Yourself?, I Am Hated for Loving, Used to Be a Sweet Boy, The Lazy Sunbathers

And in the subsequent years he still managed a decent number of stand-out tracks - some of them sublime:

The Operation, Dagenham Dave, Southpaw, Alma Matters, Trouble Loves Me, Irish Blood, English Heart, I Have Forgiven Jesus, First of the Gang to Die, Let Me Kiss You, Dear God Please Help Me, Life Is a Pigsty, It's Not Your Birthday Anymore, Ganglord, The Never Played Symphonies, Let the Right One Slip In, Boxers, Sunny, A Swallow on My Neck, Have-a-Go Merchant, Nobody Loves Us, The Edges Are No Longer Parallel

Obviously opinions are subjective, but I just cannot get as excited by the more recent material. To me it lacks heart, spark, cohesiveness and most of all, good tunes. I sometimes think when Morrissey dispensed, bit by bit, with 'the lads', he lost a lot of the Englishness that his musical identity was built on; and having replaced them with Jesse, Mando and Gustavo - in what looks an awful lot like cynically pandering to his South American market - this disconnect seems ever greater. To me, flinging multiple world music influences at the wall to see what sticks has not served him well in this regard. I also can't help wondering if this at least partly explains the decline in his lyrics; it's as if even he's not connecting with his own music any more. Or perhaps he's just run out of things to say. Anyway, I agree with you that the covers album will be interesting.
Brilliantly and eloquently put! Nobody Loves Us and Swallow On My Neck are two of my favourite Moz solo songs. Used To Be A Sweet Boy is amazing too. Thanks for the list of the found. I agree that Moz has lost touch with something. I can't imagine him ever writing lyrics again as haunting as 'In a river the colour of lead, immerse the baby's head, wrap her up in the News Of The World, and dump her on a doorstep, girl'. Or 'A shoeless child on a swing reminds you of your own again'.
But one could possibly make the same comment about a lot of artists who lasted the distance. Such as Weller once singing
'The ghost of a steam train, echoes down my track
It's at the moment bound for nowhere
Just going round and round, oh
Playground kids and creaking swings
Lost laughter in the breeze'.
You don't get those kind of lyrics anymore.

Last edited:
Brilliantly and eloquentl
y put! Nobody Loves Us and Swallow On My Neck are two of my favourite Moz solo songs. Used To Be A Sweetboy is amazing too. Thanks for the list of the found. I agree that Moz has lost touch with something. I can't imagine him ever writing lyrics again as haunting as 'In a river the colour of lead, immerse the baby's head, wrap her up in the News Of The World, and dump her on a doorstep, girl'. Or 'A shoeless child on a swing reminds you of your own again'.
But one could possibly make the same comment about a lot of artists who lasted the distance. Such as Weller once singing
'The ghost of a steam train, echoes down my track
It's at the moment bound for nowhere
Just going round and round, oh
Playground kids and creaking swings
Lost laughter in the breeze'.
You don't get those kind of lyrics anymore.

You and Peppermints are the best posters ever!!!

CONGRATS!!! You both get a free sucky Alain Twat "EP". (lol not enough bread to print a full cd poor wretch)

Signed cordially,

:roundpushpin::turban::roundpushpin:

the Halal Butcher:china:

doh:

turns out :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: saved Barnaby Jones life:oldman:

someone must have forgot to lock up the applejack.doh:

Vauxhall and I

Very well done Peppermint. :tiphat::clap:

Absolutely spot on with Arsenal and Vauxhall. And yes, his Englishness is what drew me to him in the first place...if a double-decker bus crashes into us...what is this all about? And that was it...so many quintessentially England inspired lyrics.

I get that his world view has grown from the local boy he was during The Smiths and early solo day, but to discard such a great song writer like Alain to me was a huge mistake. I think Boz and Alain could have co-existed in the band together just fine.

I agree that if Morrissey writes to the music, then tunes like Spent the Day, or Jackie got the lyrical touch they deserved. Quite a low bar is being set musically now that only so so lyrics will do.

:rolleyes:

:straightface:

YES PEPPERMINTS WELL DONE!! if the music had to be adapted to the double decker bus that was speeding into me then i understand........not sure exactly what....

but well done Peppermints your posts continue to rock!! love to read them while I nip on the applejack:dizzy:

Cordially and with much salaams,

:lightbulb::turban::lightbulb:

the Halal Butcher

:lbf:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom