Alain Whyte: Billy Budd - Safe At Home Sessions (June 12, 2020)

Alain Whyte plays Billy Budd.

Not been a massive fan of all these acoustic versions but this one is great. Alain changes the words to 'now it's 16 years on'. Maybe this means the last time he played with Morrissey?

20200612_233100.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
a Smiths reunion would be more likely.

Simply because there would be more money in it.

Of course, I mean. No one gives a shit about a reunion with “the lads” except us. It’s just not a thing, it’s not lodged into the pop consciousness as some sort of milestone or high watermark for Morrissey. So anyone who was thinking that particular reunion was coming is delusional.

I’d imagine his announcement will have something to do with him, Gary and Spencer either recording together or playing some shows. Which is not something I’d necessarily pay to go see, but I’m sure it’d be fine.

I would pay to see them. Definitely. Even if it's an event in a microcosm for a minority. It isn't "Classic Smiths" by Gannon and Joyce.

I would pay to see them. Definitely. Even if it's an event in a microcosm for a minority. It isn't "Classic Smiths" by Gannon and Joyce.
I’d absolutely go see Alain, Spencer and Gary jam on songs from the 1991 - 1997 era before seeing “Classically Smiths” or whatever the hell that was supposed to be.

promises to be another exciting AlainT trainwreck??

At the moment that (the Smiths’ reunion) is widely acknowledged to be impossible, and people stop asking the protagonists about it—I think it will happen.

At the moment that (the Smiths’ reunion) is widely acknowledged to be impossible, and people stop asking the protagonists about it—I think it will happen.

You think a Smiths reunion will happen yes?

Yes, maybe. If the four decide to, then it’ll most likely be for the money( which is not a bad motivation). They get what they want, the fans get what they want, and everyone is happy.

Of course if anyone is getting back together, I would prefer a Morrissey & Marr album. Which would be a little more dignified.

You think a Smiths reunion will happen yes?

Yes, maybe. If the four decide to, then it’ll most likely be for the money( which is not a bad motivation). They get what they want, the fans get what they want, and everyone is happy.

Of course if anyone is getting back together, I would prefer a Morrissey & Marr album. Which would be a little more dignified.
There needs a unified cause (perhaps some animal welfare issue) to eclipse their political disagreements—and save faces. God knows, there is still plenty they would agree on despite their differences.

A reunion would put Morrissey’s star back in the ascent, and it negotiates any idea of him having to show contrition to regain an A-list status.

Given a longstanding friendship with Marr, I think Rourke would be back in.

There have been so many feuds and barriers overcome in bands for the benefit of past reunions (Pink Floyd, Sex Pistols, Stone Roses, Velvet Underground and in some qualified way ABBA) that it’s harder for me to think it won’t happen than believe that it will.

In a nutshell, a reunion would give Morrissey a lightning quick way of transcending the cancel culture. And given his love of the limelight and settling scores, there might soon be a need for that—as much as a want on the side of fans.

"Now it's 16 years on. Since I last played with you."
I was at that 2004 concert in Dublin. Alain's last. Moz cried during America Is Not The World. Buffoons in the audience either didn't notice or care. I knew something was very wrong. Just didn't know it was Alain leaving. A tear went down M's face when he sang the line "For haven't you me with you now?".

There needs a unified cause (perhaps some animal welfare issue) to eclipse their political disagreements—and save faces. God knows, there is still plenty they would agree on despite their differences.

A reunion would put Morrissey’s star back in the ascent, and it negotiates any idea of him having to show contrition to regain an A-list status.

There have been so many feuds and barriers overcome in bands for the benefit of past reunions (Pink Floyd, Sex Pistols, Stone Roses, Velvet Underground and in some qualified way ABBA) that it’s harder for me to think it won’t happen than believe that it will.

In a nutshell, a reunion would give Morrissey a lightning quick way of transcending the cancel culture. And given his love of the limelight and settling scores, there might soon be a need for that—as much as a want on the side of fans.

There's not a hope in hell of a steve and johnny reunion anymore. Marr offered one about 10 years ago but since then he has (rather unbelievably) become a more successful singer than morrissey. Plus marr is (and has the image of) a great and thoroughly decent person. Steve has the image of a far right, racist twat.

Very interesting.

I am not only new here, but new to trying to decipher Morrissey. So I don't trust my judgment on this question.

But these lines express something I've been thinking, too (though are better put than I've been able to formulate it):

" A reunion would give Morrissey a lightning quick way of transcending the cancel culture. And given his love of the limelight and settling scores, there might soon be a need for that."

I wonder what anyone else thinks?

The cancel culture would not be able to easily cancel THIS.

Might this way of reasserting himself tempt him in a way that Marr failed to tempt him in 2008?

Very interesting.

I am not only new here, but new to trying to decipher Morrissey. So I don't trust my judgment on this question.

But these lines express something I've been thinking, too (though are better put than I've been able to formulate it):

I wonder what anyone else thinks?

The cancel culture would not be able to easily cancel THIS.

Might this way of reasserting himself tempt him in a way that Marr failed to tempt him in 2008?

Even long(er) time fans can't always decipher Morrissey. I for one would not pretend to know what goes on in his head.

It is tempting to think that so many bands have managed to overcome their differences and feuds for the sake of a reunion, so why could Morrissey and Marr not do it? Morrissey often seems to think that his current / most recent stuff is the best he's ever done. Does it mean that he finds it difficult to go back in time or to fully appreciate his earlier achievements? Has he ever attempted to reconnect with Johnny after 2008?

Besides, it takes 2 to tango, and I am not sure about Johnny's desire to reform the Smiths at this point either. His solo career has taken off nicely, his music is played on the radio, many artists are happy to work with him or invite him onstage to celebrate the legacy of the Smiths.

It just seems to me that the stars between the two are never aligned.

Even long(er) time fans can't always decipher Morrissey. I for one would not pretend to know what goes on in his head.

It is tempting to think that so many bands have managed to overcome their differences and feuds for the sake of a reunion, so why could Morrissey and Marr not do it? Morrissey often seems to think that his current / most recent stuff is the best he's ever done. Does it mean that he finds it difficult to go back in time or to fully appreciate his earlier achievements? Has he ever attempted to reconnect with Johnny after 2008?

Besides, it takes 2 to tango, and I am not sure about Johnny's desire to reform the Smiths at this point either. His solo career has taken off nicely, his music is played on the radio, many artists are happy to work with him or invite him onstage to celebrate the legacy of the Smiths.

It just seems to me that the stars between the two are never aligned.
They. Would. All. Do. It.

It just depends.

They. Would. All. Do. It.

It just depends.

Don’t think Marr would call it The Smiths without at at least Andy coming on board.

Morrissey would have a reunion call it
The Smiths and not invite Mike to join,
just to thumb his nose at Mike.

And no one would blame him.

Don’t think Marr would call it The Smiths without at at least Andy coming on board.

Morrissey would have a reunion call it
The Smiths and not invite Mike to join,
just to thumb his nose at Mike.

And no one would blame him.
Yep. Yep.

I’ve spoke to Mike for a long time. Never, never, did he have anything bad to say about Morrissey. I accept that might be meaningless.

Tags
alain whyte

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom