Alain Whyte FB "Your Arsenal" listening party via Mozarmyquiz Twitter: April 26, 2020 (12 PST / 8 pm UK time)

I reckon the California Son would call the Pasadena Son a more realistic name like "dude", like what was the name of his cat. Reckon you people really need to wake up and if you want to put all your foreign nick names and spell things with u's and say zed go to Big Country or Right Said Fred's website c*** tit twat arse zed chipper curry inn n nnn nn n nnn nn n n n it.

Alain's tweet made it sound like Morrissey wanted the band to have an official name. It was my understanding that "The Lads" was just a name that fans called the band.

I know, sorry, I was just being awkward. I can't imagine "Morrissey & the...." working though, maybe he changed his mind.

I am aware of the fact that the song was recorded in 1993. But it was scheduled for a release in 1994.
And Morrissey changed the lyrics when he sang the song live to fit the year 1982. In 1995 he sang "now it's 13 years on" and in 1997 "now it's 15 years on".
Granted, he made other changes, like "50 years" or even "100 years" that don't fit the year when they met, but I still think Billy Budd is about Johnny Marr.

"The good people laugh"

"Everyone's laughing"

"This one is different because it's us"

"And it's all because of us"

On page two of this same thread...

Young and alive said....

“True but I imagine it would have been written and recorded in the knowledge that V&I wasn't to be released until '94.”

And then Jamie responded...

“Alas, V&I was originally slated for release in the latter part of 1993 but got pushed back.”

So supposedly it did have a release date of 93.

Though you’re mention of him changing those dates live is almost convincing. I don’t care either way, it’s a great song no matter who or what it’s about.

Guess we’ll never really know.

Herman Melville wrote Moby Dick, as I'm sure you know. If you're interested in other nautical comparisons from the mind of Moz, have a look at this from Autobio:

"As if jealously guarding a can of sardines, Billy Bunter and his playmates are rumbled and the Smiths battleship spring its first mutinous leak; with John Porter as sly Captain Bligh and Johnny as the always-innocent young cabin boy.."

Yeah, Billy Budd is probably about his cousin or something.

Fair enough. But in that quote from Autobio he’s clearly stating that Marr
is Billy Budd.

But in the song, or in interviews,(that’s if the question ever came up? I can’t remember ) he’s never made such a clear statement.

It’s fun to guess who it might be, and that’s fine. But guessing and assuming is not knowing.

I know, sorry, I was just being awkward. I can't imagine "Morrissey & the...." working though, maybe he changed his mind.

It was gonna be Morrissey & The Spiders From Mars, but on second thought Morrissey decided against it.

Simply because he felt some people would have thought that Mars was him alluding to Marr and pining for the good old days. So it didn’t happen.

;)

The band they were all in before Morrissey was the Memphis Sinners, right? Morrissey and the Memphis Sinners would've been pretty cool.

The band they were all in before Morrissey was the Memphis Sinners, right? Morrissey and the Memphis Sinners would've been pretty cool.

I like that one, it would've been the natural choice. I'm assuming they'd keep the name even after Gary and Spencer left prior to recording Vauxhall.

Unless I'm mistaken, I think the recent band (post-Alain) was labeled "The Tormentors" in one of the liner notes (possibly Refusal or World Peace).

Alain, Gary and Spencer were the Memphis Sinners, Boz wasn't part of it.

Reckon blood daft tit bilkey m8. The Memphis Spinners sounds so Brittish, reckon just like releasing an album with your face on the front of it and calling it California Son inn nnn nnnnnn n nnnn n it.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom